Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Wasn't the original price on these like half that? That's an insane price jump if I'm remembering correctly.

What I find more odd is the site really didn't talk about what they upgraded. There is some mention of new cabinet designs resulting in more bass, but I'm surprised they didn't expand on more. At that price point change, I want to see interal structures, materials changes, discussion of wiring and component upgrades (normally the crossover but I don't think Zu is using any in this design).

It feels disconnected in their line now.

Don’t I keep hearing from people over there that wood has exponentially risen in price? I’m guessing the price was always likely to rise a bit off the back of that. But otherwise I mostly agree, it’s a damn step hike, hard to see how it’d be justifiable even if they were making them from unobtainium with snake oil lubricant.

Looks like a little later this year, I’ll finally be able to put in an order for some Dirty Weekends. Gonna be real bummed if they up the price on those, too!
Nice! You're doing what I'm doing - a Decware SE84UFO and Omen DWs. It's the poor man's version of what @wooha sold me on with his glowing description of the SE84UFO2 paired with Souls. 🍻

That's an unreal hike..

I don't know if I missed it, but what made you decide to move on from the Zu's?
You’ve heard the Lintons. Great recordings are awesome. Bad recordings are at least enjoyable. The Souls are less forgiving of less than perfect recordings. I don’t think anything else in their price range compares.

Any amp suggestions that also have a subwoofer input? I have an onkyo tx 8020 currently and just recently bought a studiodeck

not looking to spend more than 500

onkyo tx 8020
I just helped a friend set up a "Nice" system and he went with a Denon PMA-600NE, pleasantly surprised for under $500, very solid, sounds great, the analog mode is nice cutting out all the digital distractions, has Bluetooth if you need it and a sub out. I was going to recommend the NAD, but it's over $500. The few hours I spent with the Denon was enough to recommend checking it out, or at least posting it to see if anyone else has any experience with it.

Any amp suggestions that also have a subwoofer input? I have an onkyo tx 8020 currently and just recently bought a studiodeck

I was going to recommend the NAD, but it's over $500.
I think this is the aforementioned NAD amp, $449 for a refurb at safeandsoundhq

I wonder if you would really experience much, if any, difference with either of these models over your Onkyo though. Why not spend some time with your forthcoming StudioDeck in your current setup and see how it sounds before making additional changes?

I wonder if you would really experience much, if any, improvement with either of these models over your Onkyo though.

I think that last line from @dansomeone is the most prescient here. I think you can improve on the Onkyo slightly but not enough to justify throwing an extra $500 on top of the money that the Onkyo already cost. If I was you I’d enjoy the jump the table will give you and if you really want a better amp save until you have the right budget to get the right amp for a big bump.

Last edited:
I think this is the aforementioned NAD amp, $449 for a refurb at safeandsoundhq

I wonder if you would really experience much, if any, difference with either of these models over your Onkyo though. Why not spend some time with your forthcoming StudioDeck in your current setup and see how it sounds before making additional changes?
Agreed, but there might be some checkboxes and or features @Crabbers might be looking for or missing in his set up. That being said, it also depends on the "long term" plan, nothing wrong with the Onkyo, but I'd go with the Denon if I was looking to not spend a lot, but make a noticeable difference while adding the aforementioned checkboxes or "bells and whistles", IF I wasn't intending on another upgrade in the not so distant future.

So for the first real time im thinking about interconnects in my mid-low tier setup, and am curious to your people's thoughts as to whether an upgrade to Blue Jeans interconnects (or some other company) would be a good investment. My current setup is
U-Turn Orbit Plus/2M blue - Darlington Labs MM6 (coming soon) - Sony STRDH590 - Pioneer Bs41 Using Evergreens and amazon basic speaker cable.

The next upgrade will be the speakers, and at that point I'll get some decent cable for it, but wondering if even with this setup, it will make a solid difference.

So for the first real time im thinking about interconnects in my mid-low tier setup, and am curious to your people's thoughts as to whether an upgrade to Blue Jeans interconnects (or some other company) would be a good investment. My current setup is
U-Turn Orbit Plus/2M blue - Darlington Labs MM6 (coming soon) - Sony STRDH590 - Pioneer Bs41 Using Evergreens and amazon basic speaker cable.

The next upgrade will be the speakers, and at that point I'll get some decent cable for it, but wondering if even with this setup, it will make a solid difference.
Speaker cables probably aren’t worth doing. I’d get Blue Jeans for the interconnects. They are excellent as far as hum/noise rejection and you won’t have to upgrade them again as you upgrade your system.

Back