Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

UPDATE
MoFi_IsoFeet2.jpg

I had been looking for something to replace the stock feet on the PLX for a while, not a fan of the stock feet and after taking them off, I am even less of a fan, but we’ll get to that shortly.

There are a lot of options out there at different price points, but I had been leaning towards the direct replacement ISONOE turntable feet, made for a Technics 1200, so they fit the PLX fine, and run $180 for a set of 4. They are well regarded, but not much to look at in my opinion, just as clunky looking as the originals, and yes, they fit the design of the turntable, but I am still “meh” about them.

Enter the MoFi Ultra Low Noise Feet, which come in 3 load capacities (8-16 / 16-24 and 24-32 lbs.) and look exceptionally clean and simple, but how would they work for the PLX at 32lbs? The PLX puts the highest rated feet at their max capacity, now I am sure there is some wiggle room, but still a concern. You can add additional feet to, whatever, to increase the load capacity, but that became difficult with the PLX because of the bottom design of the chassis, it is not flat.

20210303_205311.jpg MoFi Foot.PNG

With the 4 corners in place, I’m happy to report the 4 are doing fine, they’ve settled in for 48 hours, which is recommended, and still have “absorption” left, meaning, none of the feet are fully compressed, especially on the left-hand side where all the weight is.

So, what is there to like and not like? First and foremost, they do what they are supposed to do, absorb vibration, taking a measurement on the plinth retuned a 0-vibration level during playback. Going back to the stock PLX feet for a moment, as mentioned, not a fan. It took me quite some time to get the turntable leveled with the stock feet when I first got it. When I took them off, the absorption part just looks like a domed piece of plastic with some give, to take care of weight distribution and vibration. After putting the MoFi feet under the PLX and giving them time to settle in we broke out the level to see where we were, the table was dead level. This leads me to the conclusion that the stock feet on the PLX either settle inconsistently or do not do a good job of weight distribution. Now, on the flip side, this means the MoFi feet do a great job of both stability and weight distribution, I don’t know what is in the cylinder, but HRS did a fine job with the UltraDeck feet and the tech seems to have found its way to the MoFi stand-alone feet. Which leads me to the only knock I have on the MoFi feet, they are not adjustable.

In all reality this only becomes a crucial problem with turntable usage, but there are plenty of turntables without adjustable feet, so it’s not a deal breaker, but would have been nice if it could have been incorporated in some way. But the flexibility of use the MoFi feet bring to the table is also a plus, they are not relegated to just one type of component, they can be used under pretty much every component in your chain, so if you replace one, you can keep the feet and use them again.

There physical size and load capacities give them the flexibility to be used on most components available today. They run $200 for a set of four, in my opinion that puts them in the same pool as most name brand isolation feet on the market, is that considered “too expensive”, not for me to decide.

Overall, they are highly effective and have a clean and simple design in a “small” package, each foot measures just slightly taller than 1.5” and have a footprint about the size of a quarter, making them a great option from everything from pre-amps to DACs and even some bookshelf speakers.

That’s my 2 cents, maybe a little more. Just wanted to share my opinion and add another first-hand option to the list of isolation feet to consider.

Last edited:
Another OCD bonus is the table is high enough it is easy to clean/dust without moving it now.

What is weird is off the table my IsoAccoustic Gaia don't look anything like your picture but on the table the Gaia and what you got look sort of similar.

UPDATE
View attachment 90459

I had been looking for something to replace the stock feet on the PLX for a while, not a fan of the stock feet and after taking them off, I am even less of a fan, but we’ll get to that shortly.

There are a lot of options out there at different price points, but I had been leaning towards the direct replacement ISONOE turntable feet, made for a Technics 1200, so they fit the PLX fine, and run $180 for a set of 4. They are well regarded, but not much to look at in my opinion, just as clunky looking as the originals, and yes, they fit the design of the turntable, but I am still “meh” about them.

Enter the MoFi Ultra Low Noise Feet, which come in 3 load capacities (8-16 / 16-24 and 24-32 lbs.) and look exceptionally clean and simple, but how would they work for the PLX at 32lbs? The PLX puts the highest rated feet at their max capacity, now I am sure there is some wiggle room, but still a concern. You can add additional feet to, whatever, to increase the load capacity, but that became difficult with the PLX because of the bottom design of the chassis, it is not flat.

View attachment 90463 View attachment 90464

With the 4 corners in place, I’m happy to report the 4 are doing fine, they’ve settled in for 48 hours, which is recommended, and still have “absorption” left, meaning, none of the feet are fully compressed, especially on the left-hand side where all the weight is.

So, what is there to like and not like? First and foremost, they do what they are supposed to do, absorb vibration, taking a measurement on the plinth retuned a 0-vibration level during playback. Going back to the stock PLX feet for a moment, as mentioned, not a fan. It took me quite some time to get the turntable leveled with the stock feet when I first got it. When I took them off, the absorption part just looks like a domed piece of plastic with some give, to take care of weight distribution and vibration. After putting the MoFi feet under the PLX and giving them time to settle in we broke out the level to see where we were, the table was dead level. This leads me to the conclusion that the stock feet on the PLX either settle inconsistently or do not do a good job of weight distribution. Now, on the flip side, this means the MoFi feet do a great job of both stability and weight distribution, I don’t know what is in the cylinder, but HRS did a fine job with the UltraDeck feet and the tech seems to have found its way to the MoFi stand-alone feet. Which leads me to the only knock I have on the MoFi feet, they are not adjustable.

In all reality this only becomes a crucial problem with turntable usage, but there are plenty of turntables without adjustable feet, so it’s not a deal breaker, but would have been nice if it could have been incorporated in some way. But the flexibility of use the MoFi feet bring to the table is also a plus, they are not relegated to just one type of component, they can be used under pretty much every component in your chain, so if you replace one, you can keep the feet and use them again.

There physical size and load capacities give them the flexibility to be used on most components available today. They run $200 for a set of four, in my opinion that puts them in the same pool as most name brand isolation feet on the market, is that considered “too expensive”, not for me to decide.

Overall, they are highly effective and have a clean and simple design in a “small” package, each foot measures just slightly taller than 1.5” and have a footprint about the size of a quarter, making them a great option from everything from pre-amps to DACs and even some bookshelf speakers.

That’s my 2 cents, maybe a little more. Just wanted to share my opinion and add another first-hand option to the list of isolation feet to consider.
Did it do anything noticeable for sound?

Did it do anything noticeable for sound?
Well, both my TTs were well isolated so it would be difficult to say in this circumstance....but, I would say since everything is still as it was they're doing there thing. It really depends on your situation and, as I said, there are lots of options. I do like the look much better than the stock and other options I was looking at.

So recently I've been noticing some playback issues on certain records. A whooshing sound or some more sibilance where there was none before. My setup is as follows:
  • U-Turn Orbit Custom w/ Ortofon OM5E stylus, built-in Pluto preamp, and cue lever (Had since May 2017)
  • Onkyo A-9010 Stereo Amplifier
  • KEF Q150 pair of bookshelf speakers
I've included a picture of my setup, which isn't completely ideal due to lack of space in my basement/listening area. I have the right speaker on the same surface as the turntable.

On the turntable, I hear a great deal of noise from the motor even with a belt on or off.

I'm trying to figure out if there are things that I need to troubleshoot or fix with my current setup, what the most "bang for my buck" upgrades are - Is it worth it to just get an upgraded stylus (like an OM10 or OM20?) or should I just upgrade the entire TT? Are there ways to get better isolation on those speakers and dampen overall vibration on a budget and without looking like an eyesore?IMG_8485.jpg

So recently I've been noticing some playback issues on certain records. A whooshing sound or some more sibilance where there was none before. My setup is as follows:
  • U-Turn Orbit Custom w/ Ortofon OM5E stylus, built-in Pluto preamp, and cue lever (Had since May 2017)
  • Onkyo A-9010 Stereo Amplifier
  • KEF Q150 pair of bookshelf speakers
I've included a picture of my setup, which isn't completely ideal due to lack of space in my basement/listening area. I have the right speaker on the same surface as the turntable.

On the turntable, I hear a great deal of noise from the motor even with a belt on or off.

I'm trying to figure out if there are things that I need to troubleshoot or fix with my current setup, what the most "bang for my buck" upgrades are - Is it worth it to just get an upgraded stylus (like an OM10 or OM20?) or should I just upgrade the entire TT? Are there ways to get better isolation on those speakers and dampen overall vibration on a budget and without looking like an eyesore?View attachment 90589

Your speaker being on the same surface as the turntable without either being isolated is likely feeding a good portion of that noise that you’re hearing through vibrations into the tonearm. You could look at isolating one, or ideally both. Of them.

How many hours a week so you spin roughly? 4 years is a very long time for a needle if you haven’t done a stylus swap yet. An OM20 stylus would be a nice upgrade to your setup and would work fine with your current cartridge.

Your speaker being on the same surface as the turntable without either being isolated is likely feeding a good portion of that noise that you’re hearing through vibrations into the tonearm. You could look at isolating one, or ideally both. Of them.

How many hours a week so you spin roughly? 4 years is a very long time for a needle if you haven’t done a stylus swap yet. An OM20 stylus would be a nice upgrade to your setup and would work fine with your current cartridge.
What's strange is I get roughly the same amount of background noise if I completely turn off the right channel. So no noise or vibration coming out of the speaker that sits on the same surface as the turntable. What are some budget choices for isolation while keeping the same placement?

And I'd say I spin 4-5 hours a week.

What's strange is I get roughly the same amount of background noise if I completely turn off the right channel. So no noise or vibration coming out of the speaker that sits on the same surface as the turntable. What are some budget choices for isolation while keeping the same placement?

And I'd say I spin 4-5 hours a week.

Yeah you’re coming up to 1000 hours then as you near 4 years. I’d be looking for a new stylus regardless. The sibilance could be due to this or it could be a set up issue. Either way your due a new stylus so I’d look to that and then check alignment and set up as well.

For the turntable isolation plinths are all a bit expensive. You can go the homemade way - I’ve done this and so has @AnthonyI - with an IKEA butchers block chopping board and some isolation feet. For the speakers its only really the foam pads.

The chopping board from IKEA is called APTITLIG and it’s around $20 dollars.

Im using 4 of these feet under it, I think Anthony I is using these

These are the speaker isolation kinda things.

That said if the noise persists with that channel off that’s a worry. Any suggestions from anyone else?

@Mather do you have a link to that projector? My fiancé and I are moving into a new apt on April 1st and we’re thinking about ditching out TV for aesthetic purposes. I personally hate the look of a big black rectangle permanently fixed in your main living space, especially when we only really watch movies on evenings! That being said I am a gamer as well so need something I can hook up to and get jiggy with ya dig

@Mather do you have a link to that projector? My fiancé and I are moving into a new apt on April 1st and we’re thinking about ditching out TV for aesthetic purposes. I personally hate the look of a big black rectangle permanently fixed in your main living space, especially when we only really watch movies on evenings! That being said I am a gamer as well so need something I can hook up to and get jiggy with ya dig
For sure I can link it, but before I do that it's best for you to figure out what size the screen is gunna be, how far from the screen the projector is gunna be mounted and how much ambient light you've got in the room because all of those things greatly affect what projector will actually work in your space. Also keep in mind if you're in an apartment and can't bury the cables you're going to have to run an HDMI cable up your wall and along your ceiling. Message me and I can go over the specifics with you so we don't bore everyone on here to tears. It's pretty easy to do the calculations but you kinda need to know the numbers before you can buy. That being said this is the one I have upstairs:

HT3550i 4K HDR Home Theater Projector for Streaming Movie Powered by Android TV

BUUUT if you have the distance this is actually the one I would be going for.... (This is likely going in my theatre room downstairs)

LG CineBeam HU810PW DLP Projector

But you might want something like a ultra short throw that can project from the floor in front of the wall, that way no mounting... Hit me up we'll talk

Last edited:

Yes, please get your Kef's on proper, sand filled stands and in a listening triangle for proper listening. Whooshing is usually a setup issue. I do not believe it is sylus (that is usually dulling of the sound) but you can certainly try it if your at high hours.

First make sure your table is level using a small bubble level, check your stylus tracking force with a scale, email U-turn, they can send you a protractor or you can print one out to check your alignment unless you already have one , and check vtf using the straw trick.

I would also recommend some sort of isolation at some point. One other thing your cable run form table to receiver looks on the long side, usually table to pre should be as short as possible (0.5-1 meter) with a good low capacitance cable.

Last edited:
I have my turntable on the same surface as my speakers and the foam worked fine but I didn't like how it looked. I ended up with the IsoAcoustic Mini Pucks. They are overpriced for what they are but they do look better in my opinion.

My guess on the whooshing would also be the stylus is wearing down and eventually will get more and more muddled sounding.

I hate to admit this but I once had a situation where it was more of a static type noise that was caused by my RCA not being in the same side on both ends from my PreAmp. I think it caused a ground loop which also makes me want to mention make sure your grounds are secure. People who grew up with rabbit ear tv antenna pre digital signals have a different definition of static noises.LOL

How do you guys like KEF as a brand? I been looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers, there is a used pair of KEF iQ30 speakers at my local used electronics shop i was looking at.

How do you guys like KEF as a brand? I been looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers, there is a used pair of KEF iQ30 speakers at my local used electronics shop i was looking at.

I demoed the LS-50 (highly rated in Stereophile and other places) but they were just not my thing, more cohesion is maybe the word I was looking for and they tend to be revealing to electronics and mediocre pressings.

i'm thinking that maybe i should use the sandwich route for the vibrapods and my turntable isolation... basically if i bump the table, either with an LP im planning to queue up or even sometimes just closing the dust cover.. there is a small jump.. i have 4 vibrapods i just need the major thing of a piece of MDF or acrylic.. what is a good block to lay a turntable on

i'm thinking that maybe i should use the sandwich route for the vibrapods and my turntable isolation... basically if i bump the table, either with an LP im planning to queue up or even sometimes just closing the dust cover.. there is a small jump.. i have 4 vibrapods i just need the major thing of a piece of MDF or acrylic.. what is a good block to lay a turntable on
Ikea bamboo butcher block. They're like 10 bucks. And they actually look nice.

Back