Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

My buddy just got a AT-LP140XP.
how would they go around to connect it to speakers? Will a phono pre amp be necessary? Or can it be wired to powered speakers?

My buddy just got a AT-LP140XP.
how would they go around to connect it to speakers? Will a phono pre amp be necessary? Or can it be wired to powered speakers?

You'll need an amp with a phono input or a pre that you can run powered speakers from, this TT doesn't have a built in pre.
Amazon product ASIN B07P8WYX6N

I changed the oil on my Rega RP40, added an aftermarket metal subplatter from Tangospinner (to replace the stock plastic one), upgraded the ball bearing (from steel to zirconia), and swapped belts (Edwards Audio Little Belter to the Rega white belt.) Cleaned everything up and replaced the glass platter and acrylic platter mat. Should be good now for another decade (not counting cartridge replacements).

0308211014~2.jpg0308211049_Burst01~2.jpg0308211049b~2.jpg0308211050~2.jpg

I changed the oil on my Rega RP40, added an aftermarket metal subplatter from Tangospinner (to replace the stock plastic one), upgraded the ball bearing (from steel to zirconia), and swapped belts (Edwards Audio Little Belter to the Rega white belt.) Cleaned everything up and replaced the glass platter and acrylic platter mat. Should be good now for another decade (not counting cartridge replacements).
That looks nice! Did you decide on a new phonostage?

I'm 25 pages behind on this thread so apologies if this was already covered. Anybody have any experience or weigh-in on this product?:

I'm 25 pages behind on this thread so apologies if this was already covered. Anybody have any experience or weigh-in on this product?:
My iFi iPhono2 sounded great until it self-destructed...

You’re the best!
Check out Darlington Labs.

Of course I don't have $140k speakers or a $9k tt, like this reviewer, but I'm thrilled with my iFi Zen. As long as your cartridge matches the specific load settings they give you, it's probably one of the best under phono options under $500. No background noise, delivers a transparent/neutral sound.

I am curious to demo the Darlington, especially once they come out with a MC compatible version.

Last edited:
You'll need an amp with a phono input or a pre that you can run powered speakers from, this TT doesn't have a built in pre.
Amazon product ASIN B07P8WYX6N
isn't it cheaper to buy the mani directly from schiit themselves?

it will take a little bit longer but including shipping it will only be like 120 or 110 dollars compared to the 150 amazon is asking

this with a zen can could tbh be amazing and might be a good thing for me to add on to in like 2022 when i do a full system upgrade (better preamp, mofi/rega/whatever deck, hana E cartridge)

Check out Darlington Labs.

another one i could find interesting to look at but i MIGHT have to also get a step up transformer

this with a zen can could tbh be amazing and might be a good thing for me to add on to in like 2022 when i do a full system upgrade (better preamp, mofi/rega/whatever deck, hana E cartridge)

another one i could find interesting to look at but i MIGHT have to also get a step up transformer

Good step up transformers are not cheap. If you’re willing to pay that much extra for one you’d probably be better investing the combined money in a really top quality phono stage that can do both.

How do you guys like KEF as a brand? I been looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers, there is a used pair of KEF iQ30 speakers at my local used electronics shop i was looking at.
I have the KEF R300s which I like a lot. Also used to have some vintage KEFs that I liked. Haven’t listened to any other models though.

Question for the more experienced people out there. I have a Sonos Play5 with a line input (3.5mm) and I was curious to be able to hook that up to my NAD amp through the Tape Out so I can stream my turntable to a different room in the house. I know, I know, digital monkeying around yada yada. This is more so I can listen in the basement or the living room without moving my setup. I'm basically trying to use the Sonos speakers ability to stream but plug it into my amp rather than constantly moving wires and hooking it right up to the Pho8 preamp or even the Orbit itself.

My question is what setting should the NAD be on to switch to Tape Out rather than the main speakers and would this even produce sound? Am I about to blow something up?

Question for the more experienced people out there. I have a Sonos Play5 with a line input (3.5mm) and I was curious to be able to hook that up to my NAD amp through the Tape Out so I can stream my turntable to a different room in the house. I know, I know, digital monkeying around yada yada. This is more so I can listen in the basement or the living room without moving my setup. I'm basically trying to use the Sonos speakers ability to stream but plug it into my amp rather than constantly moving wires and hooking it right up to the Pho8 preamp or even the Orbit itself.

My question is what setting should the NAD be on to switch to Tape Out rather than the main speakers and would this even produce sound? Am I about to blow something up?

I think tape out should be on all the time, so you can tape and listen to music at the same time. It should also be at line level irrespective of volume to allow for consistency when taping so if you don’t want speakers on just drop the volume to zero.

Back