Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I think tape out should be on all the time, so you can tape and listen to music at the same time. It should also be at line level irrespective of volume to allow for consistency when taping so if you don’t want speakers on just drop the volume to zero.
Cool. I’ll give it a shot and just be ready to pull the plug if anything goes south.

Cool. I’ll give it a shot and just be ready to pull the plug if anything goes south.

It shouldn’t, that’s what people do if they want to add a headphone amp for difficult to drive headphones or just improve that end of the system. The ideal here of course would be a phono stage with two outputs, one to the NAD and the other to the sonos.

Just make sure you have the proper Source Level (Settings > System > [named device] > Line-In > Source Level) setting on your Sonos. I believe you'd want it set for "Level 2 (A/V Component)".
I used to have the Orbit plugged straight into the Sonos so I remember how to do that.

Ok. First stab at this and nothing seems to be working. I even flipped on the Tape Monitor input selection on the front. Still getting sound through the main speakers but nothing through Sonos. The app won’t let me hit play on the Line In option which is what I normally could do before with any other 3.5mm input.

Ok. First stab at this and nothing seems to be working. I even flipped on the Tape Monitor input selection on the front. Still getting sound through the main speakers but nothing through Sonos. The app won’t let me hit play on the Line In option which is what I normally could do before with any other 3.5mm input.

and you’re 100% connecting the sonos to “tape out” and not “tape in”

I know that it’s highly unlikely that’s the case but sometimes it’s just the dumb simple stuff...

I’m not sure. I’ll have to sleep on it though. I’m out of brain cells for the day.
According to the 326bee manual, the TAPE MONITOR button:

selects the output from a tape recorder when playing back tapes or monitor recordings being made through the TAPE OUT sockets in the rear panel. Press the TAPE MONITOR button once to select it and again to return to the normal input selection.
TAPE MONITOR does not override the current input selection. For example, if CD is the active input when TAPE MONITOR is selected, then the CD signal will continue to be selected and sent to the TAPE OUT sockets, but it is the sound from the recorder connected to TAPE IN that will be heard on the loudspeakers. Apart from the blue LED to indicate Tape Monitor is engaged, the blue LED for the active input will also stay lit.

So I think if you select the input for your TT-Pho8, then press the TAPE MONITOR button, then the TT signal should be sent to the TAPE OUT sockets. Also, you shouldn't hear anything from your main speakers, (unless your Pho8 is connected to the TAPE IN sockets, in which case I suggest switching it to the DISC sockets).

Alright, thoughts on the NAD C368 Hybrid Digital Amp? It checks a lot of boxes for what I think I'll need. Reviews look positive too.

Alright, thoughts on the NAD C368 Hybrid Digital Amp? It checks a lot of boxes for what I think I'll need. Reviews look positive too.

It looks like Ed reviewed that one back in the day

Is that the only one you’re looking at or do you have anything else piquing your interest?

It looks like Ed reviewed that one back in the day

Is that the only one you’re looking at or do you have anything else piquing your interest?
Went to a local to talk about needs, and he suggested this one. I've watched a few vids, and like what it offers. Not locked into anything yet.

Think I'd like to be able to stream to and from, and would like to have the TV in the room run through it. Headphone ability is a nice add on, as I'll probably need that too.

Went to a local to talk about needs, and he suggested this one. I've watched a few vids, and like what it offers. Not locked into anything yet.

Think I'd like to be able to stream to and from, and would like to have the TV in the room run through it. Headphone ability is a nice add on, as I'll probably need that too.

The one thing I’d say about streaming is that digital technology is moving apace. My preference would be to get a standard stereo amp and add a streamer to it, you can do it pretty damn well for not huge money these days. That way it’s just a case of swapping out the box rather than a whole amp if the technology becuse outdated. TV is a bit more difficult as I suppose unless you have a TV with analogue RCA sound out you’re doing to need some form of DAC somewhere along the line 🤔

The one thing I’d say about streaming is that digital technology is moving apace. My preference would be to get a standard stereo amp and add a streamer to it, you can do it pretty damn well for not huge money these days. That way it’s just a case of swapping out the box rather than a whole amp if the technology becuse outdated. TV is a bit more difficult as I suppose unless you have a TV with analogue RCA sound out you’re doing to need some form of DAC somewhere along the line 🤔
Yeah, that hmm is me with trying to find the correct route for my needs. I think the nice thing with this one is that the streamer is actually a plug in that is replaceable, and can be updated. They seem to be prepared for the future with this.

Yeah, that hmm is me with trying to find the correct route for my needs. I think the nice thing with this one is that the streamer is actually a plug in that is replaceable, and can be updated. They seem to be prepared for the future with this.

Yeah that’s certainly a positive and if the idea kicks off there may be upgrades down the line. Plus with NAD they’re not going to be going anywhere.

I would do a bit of research and get a few options and listen to them all, if possible, to see that you get one that both ticks all your boxes and that you like the sound of.

Yeah that’s certainly a positive and if the idea kicks off there may be upgrades down the line. Plus with NAD they’re not going to be going anywhere.

I would do a bit of research and get a few options and listen to them all, if possible, to see that you get one that both ticks all your boxes and that you like the sound of.
That's kind of where I'm at right now. Local has them, might pop into another tomorrow and see what they suggest. I'm not in any hurry. New house is ready in about 3 weeks, but I don't even need it right away with that. What I have is fine, but...

That's kind of where I'm at right now. Local has them, might pop into another tomorrow and see what they suggest. I'm not in any hurry. New house is ready in about 3 weeks, but I don't even need it right away with that. What I have is fine, but...

I know that but all too well...

😂😂😂

.......there's always a "but" ;)

I’d recommend not buying any amplifier with built in digital capability. Technology is moving too fast. If you ever go to sell it, the digital section will date it, and it won’t age well. That will be reflected in poor resale value.

You can always get an outboard dac with streaming, Bluetooth, etc.

Back