Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

i dont think @RowBearToe's stylus for a jukebox cartridge is a shibata... i dunno if that would work with the jukebox

i see it was a seeburg 100B... there is a whole community about restoring them and special order styli made just for these jukebox's... it might be useful to see if yours is compatible

I'll have to check that out next, thanks!

As we face our second period of lockdown here in Melbourne I think I need to add a CD player to my collection, currently don't have any way of playing CDs in the house (except the PS4 - ugh). While vinyl will remain the queen of the system there's albums not on streaming or vinyl hiding away in my shelves...

Currently rocking the Rega RP2, Rega Brio amp and PMC DB-Gold speakers (the speakers are stunning given they are bookshelves).

The Rega Apollo CD player is a natural fit (and the same physical dimensions) as the Rega Brio - but seems kinda expensive here in Melbourne.

While I'm here - any recommendations on a cartridge upgrade as well? Still using the original cartridge - have considered Ortofon or Nagaoka. Budget of $A300-$A400 should over the next stage, shouldn't it?

Over to you respected brains trust!

As we face our second period of lockdown here in Melbourne I think I need to add a CD player to my collection, currently don't have any way of playing CDs in the house (except the PS4 - ugh). While vinyl will remain the queen of the system there's albums not on streaming or vinyl hiding away in my shelves...

Currently rocking the Rega RP2, Rega Brio amp and PMC DB-Gold speakers (the speakers are stunning given they are bookshelves).

The Rega Apollo CD player is a natural fit (and the same physical dimensions) as the Rega Brio - but seems kinda expensive here in Melbourne.

While I'm here - any recommendations on a cartridge upgrade as well? Still using the original cartridge - have considered Ortofon or Nagaoka. Budget of $A300-$A400 should over the next stage, shouldn't it?

Over to you respected brains trust!
I can't help but lean back on this unit, I've been really happy with it, of course I'm not sure what and or if shipping is available, but at a 1/3 of the price of the Rega, it might be worth looking into. Can't say enough about the HD CD1.

That being said, might be good to get some input from some of the members in your neck of the woods ;)

I can't help but lean back on this unit, I've been really happy with it, of course I'm not sure what and or if shipping is available, but at a 1/3 of the price of the Rega, it might be worth looking into. Can't say enough about the HD CD1.

That being said, might be good to get some input from some of the members in your neck of the woods ;)

Actually just checked - the Marantz costs the same down here as the Rega - $A1250 (welcome to the buying power of our South Pacific Peso!)

Actually just checked - the Marantz costs the same down here as the Rega - $A1250 (welcome to the buying power of our South Pacific Peso!)
The cd6006 I imagine suffers the same fate but might come in under $A1k given the lower starting price. Ex-demo might be the best bet.

How do Nad and Cambridge Audio prices sit down under?

The cd6006 I imagine suffers the same fate but might come in under $A1k given the lower starting price. Ex-demo might be the best bet.

How do Nad and Cambridge Audio prices sit down under?

Seems like $A1250 is the magic number number down here - that's what the CD6006 retails for as well LOL. NAD & Cambridge are plentiful down here - range from about $400 up.

If I need to spend a little over $A1000 for a high quality CD player (one that I won't upgrade for a while as will eventually replaceother components first) then I can just not tell my wife save for a little bit longer.

After looking through the threads I'm planning my dream system around a pair of Klipsch Forte III and some kind of wondrous valve amplifier...

Seems like $A1250 is the magic number number down here - that's what the CD6006 retails for as well LOL. NAD & Cambridge are plentiful down here - range from about $400 up.

If I need to spend a little over $A1000 for a high quality CD player (one that I won't upgrade for a while as will eventually replaceother components first) then I can just not tell my wife save for a little bit longer.

After looking through the threads I'm planning my dream system around a pair of Klipsch Forte III and some kind of wondrous valve amplifier...
I love my Cambridge CXC, but it’s just a transport and will require a purchase of a separate DAC if you don’t already have one. $A prices are always tough. I’d keep an eye on your regional second hand markets if you need to keep to a budget.

Do you intend on buying more cd’s? If not, then you might be better placed ripping them onto a server and streaming from there to fill that ‘vinyl-streaming’ gap. It’d then at least future proof you more and allow downloads of hi-def albums if you didn’t want to buy the physical media.

What about the Marantz cd5005? It has the same DAC as the 6006. It just doesn't have the USB input. Looks like you might be able to get that for about $600 AU.

I was looking at the Marantz HD-CD1, CD5005 and CD6006. I ended up with the 6006, because I found a good deal online.

Last edited:
Do you intend on buying more cd’s? If not, then you might be better placed ripping them onto a server and streaming from there to fill that ‘vinyl-streaming’ gap. It’d then at least future proof you more and allow downloads of hi-def albums if you didn’t want to buy the physical media.
While ripping all my CDs was as exciting as it sounds... it has been great. If the math works, I highly recommend putting that money into a DAC/Streamer if that is an option. Some of this depends on gear you might already have at home (on my end, I had a NAS -- network storage -- and a computer that had a CD drive already so it made sense) to make the costs line up, but I think it may make more $ sense in the long run. In the end, most CD players are comprised of the transport (spinning bits) and the DAC/Clock -- pulling the DAC out leaves you a bit more future proof. External drives are fairly cheap.

I still own an older OPPO as I still have a bunch of SACDs, but between vinyl and Qobuz it's rarely powered on. That said, I still hang onto it...

What about the Marantz cd5005? It has the same DAC as the 6006. It just doesn't have the USB input. Looks like you might be able to get that for about $600 AU.
Great advice - this looks to be a great CD player for the price point! Assume the USB input is for digital files? Could be handy for all those download codes I have never used 🤔

While ripping all my CDs was as exciting as it sounds... it has been great. If the math works, I highly recommend putting that money into a DAC/Streamer if that is an option. Some of this depends on gear you might already have at home (on my end, I had a NAS -- network storage -- and a computer that had a CD drive already so it made sense) to make the costs line up, but I think it may make more $ sense in the long run. In the end, most CD players are comprised of the transport (spinning bits) and the DAC/Clock -- pulling the DAC out leaves you a bit more future proof. External drives are fairly cheap.

Longer-term I like this solution a - of course the Cambridge Audio CXN I like is a comfortable $2000 but I will look into this down the line for sure...

Great advice - this looks to be a great CD player for the price point! Assume the USB input is for digital files? Could be handy for all those download codes I have never used 🤔

Longer-term I like this solution a - of course the Cambridge Audio CXN I like is a comfortable $2000 but I will look into this down the line for sure...
And the CXN is what I use as my DAC paired with my CXC. It's a solid unit and I don't plan to change it until I'm making a significant upgrade.

what is a good portable cd player... just wanted to know because my brother is a CD collector and he did say he would probably get a boombox (even though its probably a reference to the lonely island song)

Yeah, I can plug my iPhone/iPod or a USB drive. Kinda pointless in my setup but I wanted to try a couple things with it. Totally not necessary at all.

Any thoughts on a good 1/4" (6.3mm) headphone extension cable?
I have this one from Pangea. It's sturdy and flexible, and I can't detect any sound degradation.

Is the only way to go. Then dive headfirst down the Roon rabbit hole and never have to deal with a cd case snapping in your hands as you open it ever again.

Free 21 day trial of dB poweramp, rip all to an external hard drive, build a nuc, add a roon sub and get a bluesound node. Job done for probably what you'd pay for a decent cd.

i'm having money anxiety

i have to pay for an 80 buck subscription and need like 80 bucks for RSD and 115 for a headphone amp and 125 for the nagaoka cartridge like 250 for a portable dac/amp (the xduoo since i need it to be portable enough to use on a bed but still powerful), and maybe new headphones because i am not feeling the impact i want in my headphones and aparently its because the dynamic driver on the sennheisers are too slow and not dynamic enough so i dont actually feel the emotional experience as much

You don't NEED any of those things. You WANT those things.
You might feel less anxious if you remember all of this is just for fun and none of it is necessary.
true but its just that music doesn't feel right.. im getting drained

Back