Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

They are meant to be very good.

Is it vertical or width footprint that matters? There are lots of small floorstanders around, and if you have standmounts then the footprint is much the same anyway.
Yeah, vertical is the key. Got a 50 - 60 cm height limit, basically so they fit under a windowsill.

Totally. The Neats seem to be the only main option...
There are also Shahinian's too, similar styling but different price point.

I assume they won't be up against the wall, even though you want them to be under the height of a windowsill?

Can't speak to sound quality or shipping options, but you asked for short floorstanders, so here you go...

Can't speak to sound quality or shipping options, but you asked for short floorstanders, so here you go...

Ooh, they look nice. Can't see them for sale in the UK though...

They are direct to consumer, so they MIGHT ship them to you directly...

Shipping to the UK plus 20% VAT on both speaker and postage is going to be adding a fair chunk on top of that, not saying it’s not going to be worth it but...

I’d choose the neat anyday. You’ll undoubtedly get an ex-demo model in the U.K. too if patient and Tech support, if ever needed, will be much easier.

I’ll have a new pair of reasonably priced (less than $1500 per pair but only just) speakers at Casa HiFi Guy next week. That’s all I’m saying so far, so stay tuned.

To clarify: I didn’t buy them. They are a distributor loan so I can live with them for a bit and let you guys know my opinion.

Additional tease: I have something else coming for you headphone folks too- under $425. These have been high on my list since they were announced. Yes, that’s a clue.

Do review celebrities, whether it be for publications or YouTube channels, get to keep the items? Or do they have to buy them? I’ve always wondered.

Do review celebrities, whether it be for publications or YouTube channels, get to keep the items? Or do they have to buy them? I’ve always wondered.
"Celebrities" is a generous term, lol.
It depends on the price of the item, the level of the influencer, and the contract specifics honestly. When I was at one of the big audio companies we had a few options. For entry level products (usually $100-300ish) we would simply send X number of units out. Often times without contracts or guaranteed review. Usually the prompt was "use them, enjoy them, let us know what you think. And if you like, them, we'd love it if you posted a review and tagged XYZ and use hashtag XYZ."

For higher up mid-range stuff, we'd usually only send that to people we had signed deals with us. Usually if you provide a review of a certain length and/or use the product label out in X number of videos, you can keep it. This was very common for mid-range YouTubers.

We would also have some gear that were "review units" - this is the most common in the hifi world. Basically the manufacturer, or more commonly the distributor, will invest in an extra set of units they want sent around. Then they line up a "tour" of the products. Each review knows the window of time they should expect to have the unit, and about how long they should keep it. Once their time is up, the program manager tells them where to send the units next. These ultimately are offered to a reviewer at cost or later sold as open box. Sometimes these are also the pieces that get used at tradeshows.

But there are not hard and fast rules to these things. Like Hifi said, often times the review is a one off and the reviewer is offer the units at wholesale or sometimes even dealer price. Dealer price is usually a pretty good deal for the distributor because they basically get a quality review for the price of shipping and they know the unit is now in the reviewer's "stable" as a reference unit. But also, a lot of these reviewers are out there buying their own gear used and reselling it just to get on the map. For them, it's just part of the fun and if they can make back some of the money via YouTube views or ad revenue, that's all they need.

So quick answer - it's all over the place.

Last edited:
Oh, then there also full on endorsement deals. Think of Jordan + Nike. In the audio world we didn't usually need to pay for endorsements with cash, but we would do it with gear. This isn't common in the hifi world, but I bet it exists. Especially with cables, power gear, etc.

Sometimes it would be we provide the gear for the length of the contract. So you keep it until you're no longer under contract. But you cannot be seen with competitor gear and you technically have to return everything until it has no more value OR you purchase it (normally at cost).

Then for higher profile people on long term contracts, they would get a budget allotment. So you can spend $X on any gear you want from our company each quarter. Need some new speakers, go for it. It's like an automated gift card the renews ever quarter. And they get to buy everything at heavy discounts, but not always cost or dealer price. Dealer + 10% is common. We would do watered down versions of this with the free send outs too. It would be "Like those headphones, we'd love it if you'd post about it on instagram. Want more gear? Here's a 20% off code for up to 5 purchases of any in stock item, no purchase limit."

And for the very few elite endorsement deals, we just gave them almost anything they asked for. Part of that happened because after several years on endorsement deals, they didn't ask for much. These are the guys that get early access to prototypes. They get to have conversations with engineers and designers directly. They can drop in literally whenever they want and they are treated like kings. They basically had over the years brought the company so much business via their endorsement deals that we honestly couldn't repay them enough. So instead of giving them cash, they get gear with a quick email or phone call. And oddly, these are the guys that never abused that privilege and never asked for more than they needed.

Back