Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Good luck with that! 😎
I still plan on keeping the 5805 if I get it. But if it's a disaster, in terms of pricing it's more expensive than the 650 by several grand so it's possible. Although to be honest if the 5805 sounds terrible in my room then there's no real reason a Luxman or Accuphase would sound any better...

Last edited:
Got myself a NAD C3050 amp as a bit of a Christmas/birthday present to myself. Only arrived last night and may not get a chance to set it up for a few days. Of course I’ve also now got my eyes on new speakers. Have seen a great deal on Fyne 502s but like the look of the Wharfedale Lintons.
Paging @debianlinux and @folsom_lives regarding the 3050/Lintons combo. Did I miss anyone?

Every time I look at the 3050, I’m tempted to buy it for my home office setup but then I remember that it just doesn’t have enough inputs. Same with the Leak amps. I’ve got a phono stage + DAC + SACD player. Find it so strange that the marantz only has 1 RCA input aside from the phono which I’d have no use for with an external phono

Every time I look at the 3050, I’m tempted to buy it for my home office setup but then I remember that it just doesn’t have enough inputs. Same with the Leak amps. I’ve got a phono stage + DAC + SACD player. Find it so strange that the marantz only has 1 RCA input aside from the phono which I’d have no use for with an external phono

I suppose with its own DAC and add on streamer and its price it’s being aimed as a jack of all trades for people who just want one box to plug in all their digital and analogue stuff into and forget it about it with decent sound. Sorta a step up from an entry level NAD without getting too far into hundreds of boxes. You could easily connect your cd transport, tv, tape player and turntable to it and not worry.

It’s maybe not aimed at people with standalone DACs and phono stages and who are into niche stuff like SACDs or DSD files.

Last edited:
I suppose with its own DAC and add on streamer and its price it’s being aimed as a jack of all trades for people who just want one box to plug in all their digital and analogue stuff into and forget it about it with decent sound. Sorta a step up from an entry level NAD without getting too far into hundreds of boxes. You could easily connect your cd transport, tv, tape player and turntable to it and not worry.

It’s maybe not aimed at people with standalone DACs and phono stages and who are into niche stuff like SACDs or DSD files.
Makes perfect sense.

Paging @debianlinux and @folsom_lives regarding the 3050/Lintons combo. Did I miss anyone?
Coming from an AVR into less sensitive Elacs the jump in sound quality at reasonable amplitudes was the main sell for me. I only attach the turntable via separate phono for now and don't foresee attaching anything else. I use the MDC features a ton as well. I appreciate that it directly plays FLAC from my NAS with my devices controlling it in lieu of treating it as a Bluetooth speaker (which it also does). I feel like the Lintons are going to be good regardless of what drives them.

Coming from an AVR into less sensitive Elacs the jump in sound quality at reasonable amplitudes was the main sell for me. I only attach the turntable via separate phono for now and don't foresee attaching anything else. I use the MDC features a ton as well. I appreciate that it directly plays FLAC from my NAS with my devices controlling it in lieu of treating it as a Bluetooth speaker (which it also does). I feel like the Lintons are going to be good regardless of what drives them.

Yeah they’re a very adaptable musical speaker which makes them easy to listen to. There will be audiophiles who moan they lose a bit of top end detail but that’s deliberate and makes them much easier to listen to.

I think the only thing you wouldn’t really pair them with is low wattage tube amplification because while they’re sensitive they’re not super sensitive either.

What amps should I look at for under $2000? Some requirements

• needs to be able to handle projector audio, BluOS audio, and of course my turntable
• should ideally be silver
• I really want some physical instrument display, I wanna see the music jump the needles and stuff lol

Other than that, open to whatever!

What amps should I look at for under $2000? Some requirements

• needs to be able to handle projector audio, BluOS audio, and of course my turntable
• should ideally be silver
• I really want some physical instrument display, I wanna see the music jump the needles and stuff lol

Other than that, open to whatever!

Other than the silver the NAD 3050 with the blueOS card installed seems to be pretty much a tick on all the points.

Other than the silver the NAD 3050 with the blueOS card installed seems to be pretty much a tick on all the points.
Yeah this thing looks pretty on the money and I quite like NAD as a brand and currently run the C316BEE so that would be a lovely graduation. It’s a looker too. I could probably bend on the silver requirement now that I think about it hahaha. Just love the look of silver audio gear.

Reviews seem great on this thing too.

May I ask: does anyone know what the main benefits of upgrading from a C316BEE to a higher end amp like the 3050 would sound like?

Yeah this thing looks pretty on the money and I quite like NAD as a brand and currently run the C316BEE so that would be a lovely graduation. It’s a looker too. I could probably bend on the silver requirement now that I think about it hahaha. Just love the look of silver audio gear.

May I ask: does anyone know what the main benefits of upgrading from a C316BEE to a higher end amp like the 3050 would sound like?
Better everything. Simply put, you are hearing more clearly and with less mental effort what the performers, engineers and producers intended you to hear.

Checked in with with potential trade value on a 5805... yeah it would be literally exactly the same amount I would pay for it new with heavy discount. So I wouldn't lose any money, but I wouldn't be able to move up or even laterally. So that's kinda a wash.

I’m pretty sure @folsom_lives did just that with the same speakers. Maybe he’ll chime in on the step up.

Back