Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Checked in with with potential trade value on a 5805... yeah it would be literally exactly the same amount I would pay for it new with heavy discount. So I wouldn't lose any money, but I wouldn't be able to move up or even laterally. So that's kinda a wash.
That’s with a dealer though, which isn’t the same as a private party.

That’s with a dealer though, which isn’t the same as a private party.
This is true however just looking around, that's the going price in terms of used. About $6700-$7400. So it's accurate, it's fine it just means if I did have to bail out of it in favor of something with room correction I'd be stuck right around the the budget for a comparable unit to the Arcam 550 I already own. So that's not super awesome because probably the best unit at that price is the NAD M33 which doesn't have HT Bypass. So at that point it's just back to dedicated 2 channels which the Levinson would likely crush most at that lower price up here. So by my estimate it's pretty much Levinson or bust, so I gotta do some... figurin'...

This is true however just looking around, that's the going price in terms of used. About $6700-$7400. So it's accurate, it's fine it just means if I did have to bail out of it in favor of something with room correction I'd be stuck right around the the budget for a comparable unit to the Arcam 550 I already own. So that's not super awesome because probably the best unit at that price is the NAD M33 which doesn't have HT Bypass. So at that point it's just back to dedicated 2 channels which the Levinson would likely crush most at that lower price up here. So by my estimate it's pretty much Levinson or bust, so I gotta do some... figurin'...
What happens at midnight when ol @nightnather gets the purse?

Reading just about everything on this “Find Mather An Integrated Amp” tangent it should be remembered that the Arcam with Dirac, is probably a piece of gear that few of us would find lacking. Maybe spend more energy on solidifying a room choice and go from there?

Reading just about everything on this “Find Mather An Integrated Amp” tangent it should be remembered that the Arcam with Dirac, is probably a piece of gear that few of us would find lacking. Maybe spend more energy on solidifying a room choice and go from there?
Yeah it may come to this, the other thing on the plate is a nicely discounted Soundsmith Paua which is kinda option B. if I don't go 2 Channel amp upgrade. Just accept that the Arcam/DIRAC does a very good job in this particular room and instead go for a end game MC cart (having never owned an MC).

Last edited:
Back to the murder shed then!

Oh trust me, I love the look of the Luxman, no convincing necessary. It's firmly on the list however there are very few places to here that sell it which makes it a bit harder.

This is also a possibility...
View attachment 190407View attachment 190408
Bryston B135 Cubed Integrated
Somehow I missed this earlier; I have the Bryston B100-SST which is an earlier model. It’s got a tank-like build and performs very well for me. It powers my office system using KEF LS50’s. Despite the come-hither looks of the Luxman, I’m standing firm on my B100.

View attachment 191933View attachment 191934
Chord Ultima Integrated... what the hecking heck...

Chord stuff is always, how shall we say this, interesting looking. That one can have supports to match up with Dave and Symphonic stacked above to make a strange trio of weirdly shaped boxes with multicoloured led buttons that you need a cypher book for to figure out what they’re doing…

IMG_0532.jpeg

Chord stuff is always, how shall we say this, interesting looking. That one can have supports to match up with Dave and Symphonic stacked above to make a strange trio of weirdly shaped boxes with multicoloured led buttons that you need a cypher book for to figure out what they’re doing…

View attachment 191935
Yeah, no thanks. Looks like Someone is trying to build IG-88

Gave the JBL L82s about 130 hours in my system. They were great for the first 25 or so then took a weird ugly turn up to about 100 hours. They somewhat settled down from then on, but carried an odd coloration in my space (that honestly has me wondering if they're defective) so decided to send them back.

That's like 8-9 speakers that haven't done the trick for me, back to the drawing board. Need to make a trip to some hi-fi shops and audition loads but not sure when I'll have the capacity for that.

Any folks here care to recommend anything in the `$3k or under range (cheaper the better) that is neutral/transparent/dynamic without being bright/shrill/sibilant/etc and can be run on myPMA1700NE (70x8/100x4 wpc)? I don't want a "warm" sound as it often translates to low end that is incompatible with apartment living, but like a nice midrange, articulate treble response and existent, neutral, natural low end without dominating the picture.

Gave the JBL L82s about 130 hours in my system. They were great for the first 25 or so then took a weird ugly turn up to about 100 hours. They somewhat settled down from then on, but carried an odd coloration in my space (that honestly has me wondering if they're defective) so decided to send them back.

That's like 8-9 speakers that haven't done the trick for me, back to the drawing board. Need to make a trip to some hi-fi shops and audition loads but not sure when I'll have the capacity for that.

Any folks here care to recommend anything in the `$3k or under range (cheaper the better) that is neutral/transparent/dynamic without being bright/shrill/sibilant/etc and can be run on myPMA1700NE (70x8/100x4 wpc)? I don't want a "warm" sound as it often translates to low end that is incompatible with apartment living, but like a nice midrange, articulate treble response and existent, neutral, natural low end without dominating the picture.
What other speakers have you tried?

Back