Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Very widely respected brand. Extremely overpriced by their USA distributor. Iā€™m more partial to Luxmanā€™s looks, the two are often compared to each other.
New owner of Axxis Distribution in the US has lowered Accuphase retail prices by about 20% across the board. Still expensive but in my opinion and experience a different level of performance and feel above the Luxman products in their respective classes. Accuphase does have a house sound leaning towards a tube warmth with superb clarity and extremely low distortion as opposed to something like the Gryphon Diablo which has the Gryphon house sound some find to be relentless and others find to be ā€œaccurateā€. Itā€™s really all about what you find to be engaging and satisfying. And affordable. If my audio enabler hadnā€™t made the E650 so attractive, price wise, I would be listening to something that retails for a lot less. As it is, Iā€™ve been in my happy place for three years and still have no itch to change anything in this system.

New owner of Axxis Distribution in the US has lowered Accuphase retail prices by about 20% across the board. Still expensive but in my opinion and experience a different level of performance and feel above the Luxman products in their respective classes. Accuphase does have a house sound leaning towards a tube warmth with superb clarity and extremely low distortion as opposed to something like the Gryphon Diablo which has the Gryphon house sound some find to be relentless and others find to be ā€œaccurateā€. Itā€™s really all about what you find to be engaging and satisfying. And affordable. If my audio enabler hadnā€™t made the E650 so attractive, price wise, I would be listening to something that retails for a lot less. As it is, Iā€™ve been in my happy place for three years and still have no itch to change anything in this system.
The E650 is the one I was looking at actually. I figure if I'm going to do this, the most logical plan is to get the Levinson with the heavy discount, and if it doesn't work in my room I can likely trade it in for more than I paid for it and perhaps actually get something in the mid Luxman/Accuphase range without paying any further money.

The E650 is the one I was looking at actually. I figure if I'm going to do this, the most logical plan is to get the Levinson with the heavy discount, and if it doesn't work in my room I can likely trade it in for more than I paid for it and perhaps actually get something in the mid Luxman/Accuphase range without paying any further money.
Sounds like a reasonable plan. The E650 has been superseded by the 50th Anniversary E800 and no longer in production. If you can find a used 650, well then Bobā€™s your uncle. Your JBLs are fairly sensitive and the Accuphase power supply has the juice to drive them to satisfying loudness levels. Power doubles down to 1 ohm loads and the amp has a damping factor of 800. Not being into meters I just turn the display off. Less neuroticism makes for happier listening, imo. Finding a used E480 or lesser would be a good move too.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. The E650 has been superseded by the 50th Anniversary E800 and no longer in production. If you can find a used 650, well then Bobā€™s your uncle. Your JBLs are fairly sensitive and the Accuphase power supply has the juice to drive them to satisfying loudness levels. Power doubles down to 1 ohm loads and the amp has a damping factor of 800. Not being into meters I just turn the display off. Less neuroticism makes for happier listening, imo. Finding a used E480 or lesser would be a good move too.
Yeah, I can't afford the Luxman or Accuphase models in terms of buying straight up, they're just too expensive, even used. But I could probably trade up for them if need be.
Just out of curiosity, what about the meters causes neuroticism? I ask because I am very susceptible to this type of behavior.

At a reasonably loud level and I like higher SPLs, the meters are often bumping up to 0db and higher. No sense of distortion and I donā€™t hear any lessening of sound quality when peaks are above 0db on the meter scale. Easy to turn the display off and not be distracted by them. The power supply is rock solid in all Accuphase products.

At a reasonably loud level and I like higher SPLs, the meters are often bumping up to 0db and higher. No sense of distortion and I donā€™t hear any lessening of sound quality when peaks are above 0db on the meter scale. Easy to turn the display off and not be distracted by them. The power supply is rock solid in all Accuphase products.
Ah right. I getcha.

Got myself a NAD C3050 amp as a bit of a Christmas/birthday present to myself. Only arrived last night and may not get a chance to set it up for a few days. Of course Iā€™ve also now got my eyes on new speakers. Have seen a great deal on Fyne 502s but like the look of the Wharfedale Lintons.

Got myself a NAD C3050 amp as a bit of a Christmas/birthday present to myself. Only arrived last night and may not get a chance to set it up for a few days. Of course Iā€™ve also now got my eyes on new speakers. Have seen a great deal on Fyne 502s but like the look of the Wharfedale Lintons.
The Lintons are really excellent. I think some shops may still be including the stands for free at the moment?

The Lintons are great, love them, but Iā€™ve always found the whole Fyne story really interesting and would love to hear a few sets of them! You should be able to get Lintons + stands for Ā£1,100 or less.

Do you have a hifi store nearby that the would let you demo speakers?

The Lintons are great, love them, but Iā€™ve always found the whole Fyne story really interesting and would love to hear a few sets of them! You should be able to get Lintons + stands for Ā£1,100 or less.

Do you have a hifi store nearby that the would let you demo speakers?
In Edinburgh or Glasgow but would depend on stock. I read the thread on the Lintons here with great interest. The Fynes have reviewed well and had been interested in some of their more entry level speakers previously. Will see how the C3050 gets on with my current Wharfedales first.

A fine choice for amp there. Did you get the MDC? Canā€™t recommend the upgrade enough.

Back