Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Another handsome option. I like the cd tray v a slot loader.
That’s the main reason. It’s also a little cheaper. It’s also a player so I could compare dacs to see if I’m happy long term with the NAD’s onboard. Spec wise, the NAD should be better.

That’s the main reason. It’s also a little cheaper. It’s also a player so I could compare dacs to see if I’m happy long term with the NAD’s onboard. Spec wise, the NAD should be better.

Yeah I’d expect the NAD to be a bit better and given the lack of analogue connections on it using the digital definitely gives you more flexibility. Equally digital is a weird old thing and the implementation of the bits is often more important than the bits themselves.

Yeah I’d expect the NAD to be a bit better and given the lack of analogue connections on it using the digital definitely gives you more flexibility. Equally digital is a weird old thing and the implementation of the bits is often more important than the bits themselves.
I like the NAD’s dac so far but the only thing I really have to compare it to is the b&w’s dac which should be fairly transparent. I would expect the combination of the nad’s dac and the resolution through the codec are why they sound so much better through the nad than my iPhone.

You can do better for $150. Look on eBay for one that has been refurbished.

This is what it got for about the same price a few years ago…
View attachment 191468
View attachment 191469
It’s worth it to have one that has had its belts replaced, as the process doing it yourself is a pain in the ass.
I feel comfortable doing some tinkering. That and we have a stereo guy in the old neighborhood that seems to do good work. I'm not really seeing a huge price difference here and the Technics has some of the aesthetics I was looking for.

Hey, what was it you guys (maybe @TenderLovingKiller® ) were using to clean your dust covers with? Also I assume these are acrylic dust covers?
Use this or an equivalent designed specifically for acrylic. Don’t use standard Windex.

Brillianize 8 Ounce (240 ml) Plastic Cleaner in Pump Spray Bottle

IMG_8628.jpeg

Sweet googly moogly

I feel comfortable doing some tinkering. That and we have a stereo guy in the old neighborhood that seems to do good work. I'm not really seeing a huge price difference here and the Technics has some of the aesthetics I was looking for.
It’s a beaut. My concern would be condition. I noticed some (corrosion, maybe?) discoloration on a inner part of the tape door. I agree the aesthetic is beautiful but it’s also a single tape deck instead of a dual. Not sure if you would ever want to dub a cassette but it’s easier with a dual than a single.

I don’t mind tinkering either but I watched a few YouTube videos on and it’s quite involved with lots of tiny screws and if you are taking it somewhere to have the belt replaced you’re probably adding another chunk of $ on top of what your already spending. All that being said if you love the aesthetic and you don’t mind taking a gamble even if it does need some repair or maintenance the whole cost would still be less than what most people drop on a cartridge for their turntable.

Sweet googly moogly
I think this is the lower powered, Class A amp versus the 150W Class A/B amp. Damn sweet if it has the power you need. Big brother to the one @Slimwhit33 sold.

NOVUS-PK1-2 | Plastic Clean & Shine #1, Fine Scratch Remover #2, Heavy Scratch Remover #3 and Polish Mates Pack | 2 Ounce Bottles

This works well. My cover is too far gone unfortunately. Some numb nuts (me) attempted to clean with a chemical gunk remover and stupidly didn’t test it in a small spot before rubbing it all off and burning the shit out of my cover.
If there is an acrylic/Lexan fabricator near you, they may be able to re-polish the surface.

I think this is the lower powered, Class A amp versus the 150W Class A/B amp. Damn sweet if it has the power you need. Big brother to the one @Slimwhit33 sold.
Realistically it's not powered enough for long term purchase on my end. My current L100s are efficient but I don't want to be hamstrung down the line. But it's gorgeous.

Last edited:
Realistically it's not powered enough for long term purchase on my end. My current L100s are efficient but I don't want to be hamstrung down the line. But it's gorgeous.
The 590AX II is rated at 30 WPC at 8 Ohms and 60 at 4 Ohms in Class A, but it switches to Class A/B after those ratings and has been measured at 90 something WPC @ 8 Ohms in A/B. Which would be plenty. I don’t recall the class A/B 4 Ohm numbers, but they were roughly inline.

Last edited:
Sweet googly moogly
I might add that this one is local and the in store price is actually $7920 CAD.

Back