Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Do you have the space to possibly build a riser, a platform over your receiver? Maybe get something like an Ikea bamboo butcher block, a set of Iron pipe and fittings for the legs, you can get them in various lengths. I was toying with this idea a while ago before building the entire rack.

Brooklyn Pipe on Amazon (Flanges & Pipes)
View attachment 27711

One flange on the top screwed to the butcher block and one flange as the "foot" so to speak. Same idea as this except the bottom flange is just the support foot, you can put maybe rubber or felt under it.
View attachment 27712
I don’t have floor space around the current cabinet (which is housing modem, UPS, DVD, and NAS. There’s roughly 1” of clearance each side of the receiver to install posts which was my original thinking. As I got to designing a post supported shelf the idea of wall mounting suddenly became more attractive. I am a bit appalled at the prices charged for OOTB solutions and felt certain I could DIY for substantially less. The cable supported acrylic is within my skillset but I felt the look was too modern and also those cable fittings probably are very expensive to duplicate.

A single wall mount shelf may be sufficient isolation, I mean I was getting by sitting on top of components on top of a speaker before! I could start there and add ans isolated super shelf later if needed. I liked the idea of the super shelf hiding a rougher installation of the sub shelf, though.

Yes! Thank you so much. Going to try and hop on this ASAP.

Noob question: What differences do preamps typically make sonically? Am I likely to hear a difference between this Musical Fidelity one and the ones built into my speakers? Sorry if it’s an obvious question, still getting my toes wet here.

It should be quieter as far as noise/hum.
It should generally sound better/more musical.

It also gives you options should you decide to upgrade your system/cartridge down the road.

Yes! Thank you so much. Going to try and hop on this ASAP.

Noob question: What differences do preamps typically make sonically? Am I likely to hear a difference between this Musical Fidelity one and the ones built into my speakers? Sorry if it’s an obvious question, still getting my toes wet here.
I would be pretty surprised if you don't notice a fairly immediate difference. And if you don't, it's more likely the speakers are the limitation, but even then I think you'll notice pretty much right away. It might be hard to describe at first, but I think you'll just think "wow, that is better."

I would be pretty surprised if you don't notice a fairly immediate difference. And if you don't, it's more likely the speakers are the limitation, but even then I think you'll notice pretty much right away. It might be hard to describe at first, but I think you'll just think "wow, that is better."

Yes. And @Ghost if you aren't happy, you have 60 days to return to Music Direct. You'd only be out the shipping.

It should be quieter as far as noise/hum.
It should generally sound better/more musical.

It also gives you options should you decide to upgrade your system/cartridge down the road.
Thanks for the info dudes! Excited to continue upgrading my system. Last night after hooking up the RT85 I was honestly a bit disappointed when I spun my first record (Older press of Ahmad Jamals: But Not For Me) but then I put on Al Greens Call Me and I felt the sound really started opening up. Next up I put on Alice Phoebe Lou’s “Paper Castles” and that’s when the AHA moment hit! By the end of the night I was blown away by the deck! Can’t wait to get home from work today, I feel like a kid 😂. More than anything I’m excited to continue building out my chain piece by piece, going to grab a preamp next and then grab one of those Nagoaka (??) carts that everyone’s been raving about over here.

Thanks for the info dudes! Excited to continue upgrading my system. Last night after hooking up the RT85 I was honestly a bit disappointed when I spun my first record (Older press of Ahmad Jamals: But Not For Me) but then I put on Al Greens Call Me and I felt the sound really started opening up. Next up I put on Alice Phoebe Lou’s “Paper Castles” and that’s when the AHA moment hit! By the end of the night I was blown away by the deck! Can’t wait to get home from work today, I feel like a kid 😂. More than anything I’m excited to continue building out my chain piece by piece, going to grab a preamp next and then grab one of those Nagoaka (??) carts that everyone’s been raving about over here.

New cartridges need about 25-45 hours generally to break in, so I'm not surprised it sounds better and better as you listen.

Nagaoka seem to be having price increases currently. The MP-150 would be what I'd look at. I noticed the MP-200 is now $499 on Amazon (overpriced as can be if this is the new pricing) but can still be found for $379 with some looking around. I think the MP-110 is a step backwards from what you have now.

If you decide you want to try a Nagaoka, let us know when you are ready, and we will help you find the best price.

The blue isn’t a bad cart at all. The preamp you’re getting is based on the same design as the one I have and I noticed the blue get so much better when I hooked it up to it, the soundstage opened right up. You are in for a treat.

Probably a better place to put this but wasn’t sure I got my Fluance and Musical Fidelity preamp setup. Sounds great. However every record has static pops through the beginning deadwax and through the first track (sometimes maybe half the first track), on each side. At first I just thought it was one record but it happens on every single one and then goes away about 1-3 mins in. I’ve cleaned and dried multiple times. Seems odd any suggestions?

Probably a better place to put this but wasn’t sure I got my Fluance and Musical Fidelity preamp setup. Sounds great. However every record has static pops through the beginning deadwax and through the first track (sometimes maybe half the first track), on each side. At first I just thought it was one record but it happens on every single one and then goes away about 1-3 mins in. I’ve cleaned and dried multiple times. Seems odd any suggestions?

Odd indeed.

Can you put the stylus somewhere other than the lead in groove and see if it still happens? I have an idea.

Peaked my interest :unsure:

Sounds to me like a mechanical/setup issue. As Soundsmith states that most manufacturers specify too much antiskate, and antiskate does not stay constant as the stylus travels towards the label, I'm wondering if adjusting the antiskate lower will fix this.

@radiodead check the link and set your antiskate this way. Use an album with lots of deadwax. Don't use a blank side or a CD as some will suggest. Also, don't worry about whatever the number on your antiskate dial indicates.

I dropped the needle mid vinyl and no static popping. I also figured it was a balance or anti skate issue just because it was a consistent problem on the same part of each record. I’ll try adjusting.
I also thought maybe there was just some static left over after cleaning but that seemed odd to be in the same place on each record.

I dropped the needle mid vinyl and no static popping. I also figured it was a balance or anti skate issue just because it was a consistent problem on the same part of each record. I’ll try adjusting.
I also thought maybe there was just some static left over after cleaning but that seemed odd to be in the same place on each record.

Also, do you have a digital stylus force gauge? If not you need one. Ortofons are really picky about correct stylus force in my experience.

Also, do you have a digital stylus force gauge? If not you need one. Ortofons are really picky about correct stylus force in my experience.
This. It took me a few tries to dial mine in and it’s been great ever since. Get the gauge and start from scratch. Make sure it’s 1.80 and that it matches the anti skate as best as possible. The YouTube video is helpful.

They’re both set to 1.8. I thought I did a pretty good job but I’ll make sure to invest in a gauge.

Set the stylus force to 1.8 with a gauge. Set the antiskate per the link I posted.

I've set up hundreds of turntables. I can't match the accuracy of a digital gauge. A tenth of a gram or less can make a difference. The gauge is an indispensable tool.

Set the stylus force to 1.8 with a gauge. Set the antiskate per the link I posted.

I've set up hundreds of turntables. I can't match the accuracy of a digital gauge. A tenth of a gram or less can make a difference. The gauge is an indispensable tool.
Do you have one you recommend in particular?

Back