Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Do you notice a big difference? I have never used one and was thinking of getting one. I got PLX1000 so shouldn't be an issue.
I'll do a quick check for you when I get home tonight ;)

I always have a weight on my UltraDeck, didn't dawn on me to try it on the PLX, lol. I'll report back :)

What speakers did you get? Pleased with them?

i got Dali Oberon 7s , probably not the greatest thing, but such a huge step up for me and i got a good deal.
i ordered the NAD 316 V2 yesterday to go with them. i liked the 328 soundwise and felt the Marantz amps were too "warm" and added too much on the lower end. only spend half of my budget as well.
i havent had much time to listen since saturday though. hopefully got the amp until the weekend too.

also much thanks to @HiFi Guy @Joe Mac @AnthonyI and the rest of you for hanging in there with me and answering my noobie questions. ill be back !

Last edited:
i got Dali Oberon 7s , probably not the greatest thing, but such a huge step up for me and i got a good deal.
i ordered the NAD 316 V2 yesterday to go with them. i liked the 328 soundwise and felt the Marantz amps were too "warm" and added too much on the lower end. only spend half of my budget as well.
i havent had much time to listen since saturday though. hopefully got the amp until the weekend too.

also much thanks to @HiFi Guy @Joe Mac @AnthonyI and the rest of you for hanging in there with me and answering my noobie questions. ill be back !
Now we need pictures!

Nice - they look great! Happy spinning!

I'll do a quick check for you when I get home tonight ;)

I always have a weight on my UltraDeck, didn't dawn on me to try it on the PLX, lol. I'll report back :)
Awesome! I didnt even know you had one. Just wanted to avoid someone saying not all tables can handle extra platter weight. Much appreciated.

still figuring out a new amplifier... i am mostly going to use my amp for powering headphones because i dunno if i need the speakers, but even now i kinda wonder if having better speakers might be useful in the future (though headphones do everything and i dont have much people who would listen with me). im thinking about a schiit magni but i dunno about the 3+ or heresy bs thats happening, i dont understand opamp vs discrete, and i have no idea what would work best for a turntable and preamp setup. i also wonder i should just say fuck it plan for the future if i get the radio job and go with a tube amplifier

any tips/reccomendations/alternatives

My friend just bought a new turntable and is trying to figure out a solution to wirelessly stream it to multiple speakers in her house. She is very much against spending the money that Sonos charges for the hardware to do it. Do any of you have any suggestions for other/cheaper ways to make this happen? I'm deep into the Sonos ecosystem at this point, so the best advice I had was to buy an old Connect on eBay.

I realize this doesn't give much useful info to go off of, but it's all the info I know so far. I can ask her follow up questions as needed though!

My friend just bought a new turntable and is trying to figure out a solution to wirelessly stream it to multiple speakers in her house. She is very much against spending the money that Sonos charges for the hardware to do it. Do any of you have any suggestions for other/cheaper ways to make this happen? I'm deep into the Sonos ecosystem at this point, so the best advice I had was to buy an old Connect on eBay.

I realize this doesn't give much useful info to go off of, but it's all the info I know so far. I can ask her follow up questions as needed though!

What receiver does she have? What about connecting a Bluetooth transmitter to the tape output jacks on the receiver, assuming she has them?

My advice would be the same as yours! They are the best route and I’d advocate a slowly does it, start small build up approach of better quality kit over time than settling for something less to get it instantly.

i'm thinking instead of getting a magni (because my god its super confusing now with the heresy vs 3+ thing)... i plan on getting a monoprice liquid spark... it aparently has a pretty warm and likeable sound, i'll give the headphones a thought later

Well, I've lived with the Marantz DAC for a while.

Here's what I've discovered:

iPhone plugged USB into the front- great
Roku via Toslink- great
Cable Box via Toslink- pretty good
Mac Mini via Coax or USB- lacking

So, I've got 1600 CDs ripped to hard drive I'd like to enjoy. The Marantz is way better than my old DAC, but still isn't getting me where I want to be. As I was telling @displayname what I'd like is a DAC that sounds like my Grado/Sutherland combo. We agree- good luck finding that. The Mac sounds thin, and lacking in bass.

So I started thinking. And I found a solution. This gets me so close that I consider it a win. I bought a Schiit Loki 4 band EQ to connect between the DAC and amp. Adding some deep bass and mid bass but leaving the midrange and treble alone is much much better. It can be bypassed or turned off entirely when using video sources.

Does it sound as good as my vinyl rig? No. But the digital side isn't driving me crazy anymore either.

The Loki is both smaller and better built than pictures portray, especially for $149.

I'll fine tune it by comparing recordings that I have in both formats

IMG_3512.JPG

Well, I've lived with the Marantz DAC for a while.

Here's what I've discovered:

iPhone plugged USB into the front- great
Roku via Toslink- great
Cable Box via Toslink- pretty good
Mac Mini via Coax or USB- lacking

So, I've got 1600 CDs ripped to hard drive I'd like to enjoy. The Marantz is way better than my old DAC, but still isn't getting me where I want to be. As I was telling @displayname what I'd like is a DAC that sounds like my Grado/Sutherland combo. We agree- good luck finding that. The Mac sounds thin, and lacking in bass.

So I started thinking. And I found a solution. This gets me so close that I consider it a win. I bought a Schiit Loki 4 band EQ to connect between the DAC and amp. Adding some deep bass and mid bass but leaving the midrange and treble alone is much much better. It can be bypassed or turned off entirely when using video sources.

Does it sound as good as my vinyl rig? No. But the digital side isn't driving me crazy anymore either.

The Loki is both smaller and better built than pictures portray, especially for $149.

I'll fine tune it by comparing recordings that I have in both formats

View attachment 28745
Very cool. I've heard some good things about the Loki.

I know your happy with the sound you get, but just for kicks, are you going to try it in your vinyl chain for some A/B tests there?

Very cool. I've heard some good things about the Loki.

I know your happy with the sound you get, but just for kicks, are you going to try it in your vinyl chain for some A/B tests there?

Probably not. I'm just trying to narrow the tonal disparity between the analog vs digital sides of my system.

Back