Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Also I don’t understand why the anti slate dial doesn’t have incremental markings on the same scale as the pressure dial yet they say to match them once you balance the arm and set the stylus pressure
Ya, the Anti Skate is in increments of 2, so you have to split the hash lines for odd numbers.

So I’ve set it up based on listening going back and forth with stylus pressure and anti skate so I have the stylus pressure reading just shy of 0.5 on the second hash marking that they leave for reference on the arm and the anti skate is set what I believe is accordingly halfway between zero and the first marking on the anti skate dial which I presume is 1 and unmarked like you said

I ordered a grado black replacement, I figure when I blew off my records with the can of compressed air at some point it probably introduces moisture and caused the rust, it wasn’t there two days ago when I put the cartridge on the headshell initially.

with my new cart arriving soon, is this the cleaner many of you are using ?

I have this and the Mobile Fidelity LP-9 Stylus Cleaner. While the Onzow works really well and I prefer it to the "Mr. Clean" method, over time I've preferred the LP 9 cleaner, I usually clean the stylus with it before every spinning session and have had 0 issues.
1575292314778.png

thanks ! i bought the AT VM95ML by the way ! guess ill be asking for amp suggestions soon
Nice, I gotta say, the VM95ML has impressed me and it's getting better with mileage. I only have like 6 hours on this one so I'm curious to see what it does as it gets into the 20+ hour mark..........very happy with it and you can't beat the price point ;)

I use a CD to set anti skate. Just place a CD on the mat shiny side up and place your needle carefully on it and start the platter (if not already running). Your anti skate is set correctly when the needle cuts a perfect circle over multiple revolutions. Do be prepared to catch your tonearm before the sylus edges off the CD if your setting is way off to begin with.

Setup the new Elac F6.2 today. It was a bitch moving everything around and I am sure the wife will want to revise the install but everything sounds much better. I was running some 40 year old maganvox thingamabobs that I bought from a crackhead in the 90's. The sound is not blow you out of the water better but the separation is miles ahead as well as better clarity over the entire spectrum. The real bit is the old speakers were so wide I couldn't fit them against one wall with the other furniture so they were at opposite ends of an already odd shaped room. The new ones are as wide together as a single old one was so they are both on the same wall now which is great.

I put the old ones in the girl's room so I suppose I have another project coming real soon.

Nice, I gotta say, the VM95ML has impressed me and it's getting better with mileage. I only have like 6 hours on this one so I'm curious to see what it does as it gets into the 20+ hour mark..........very happy with it and you can't beat the price point ;)
I think I may pick one of these up as well, glad i decided to order another grado black considering its essentially $25 for the cart since the stylus sells for $50 and I can still add the 8MZ stylus

Setup the new Elac F6.2 today. It was a bitch moving everything around and I am sure the wife will want to revise the install but everything sounds much better. I was running some 40 year old maganvox thingamabobs that I bought from a crackhead in the 90's. The sound is not blow you out of the water better but the separation is miles ahead as well as better clarity over the entire spectrum. The real bit is the old speakers were so wide I couldn't fit them against one wall with the other furniture so they were at opposite ends of an already odd shaped room. The new ones are as wide together as a single old one was so they are both on the same wall now which is great.

I put the old ones in the girl's room so I suppose I have another project coming real soon.
The wife approved the whole thing; no punchlist from the design team. I'm more proud of that than anything.

do you have any advice for setting it up ? i dont have it yet, cant wait though

Any recommendations for high compliance carts? I've been running an 80's-90's ultra-low mass tonearm with Shure carts for a number of years, but now that Shure got out of the business, I'm looking for a replacement. The combo of low mass and high compliance makes for an excellent tracker, which is required when listening to any record from VMP ~~~~~~.

Back