Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I'm not sure if anyone here was weighing up buying an SME tonearm but if you are, you're going to have to hurry up.
Wow! That's surprising. I imagine that's a decent revenue stream for them. I feel like I see SME arms on more high end tables than most any other brand except Rega. It also makes me curious what they have planned for the TT market. They have to be ramping up based on what they said right? Might we be looking at a wider line of tables from SME in the future?

Wow! That's surprising. I imagine that's a decent revenue stream for them. I feel like I see SME arms on more high end tables than most any other brand except Rega. It also makes me curious what they have planned for the TT market. They have to be ramping up based on what they said right? Might we be looking at a wider line of tables from SME in the future?

The company that owns SME is very (very) wealthy so even if they’re taking a short term hit (and I’m not completely sure they are), they can ride it out. Anecdotal evidence from some dealers I know suggest it’s been almost impossible to buy the arms on their own for most of this year anyway. We’ll have to see how this pans out.

I’m sad about this because SME arms are extraordinary but the manner in which they’re extraordinary is quite niche. At any given price an SME arm exists/existed, there is always something that sounds better without exception- my Audio Note sounds better than my M2 for example. What makes them notable is just how bulletproof they are. I was thinking about this earlier and my M2 must have had well over a hundred cartridge changes performed on it. Try doing that even on some very expensive arms and they’ll break. The M2 meanwhile still works in exactly the same way as the day I got it. They’re one of a tiny subset of devices with open ended projected lifespans; the last arm you ever buy. That this experience is now not something you can now have for less than (I think) $7,500 is a real shame.

tbh i might just go with grados and not buy an amp but i dunno how well those work for electronic music, hip hop, and most non rock music

with my new cart arriving soon, is this the cleaner many of you are using ?

Sorry for the late reply but check with AT as to whether the Onzow is safe or any liquid cleaner. The Onzow works great but you have to be really careful. Also some manufacturers recommend against it because it can damage the suspension. Magic eraser or small stylus brush might be all you need.

Any recommendations for high compliance carts? I've been running an 80's-90's ultra-low mass tonearm with Shure carts for a number of years, but now that Shure got out of the business, I'm looking for a replacement. The combo of low mass and high compliance makes for an excellent tracker, which is required when listening to any record from VMP ~~~~~~.

High compliance= Ortofon OM or Super OM series. I'd get at least an OM20.

I am on the hunt for my next amplifier. I'm currently alternating between an old crusty RCA 5.1 AVR and a NAD 3020 PE. The NAD stays in the chain regardless for the phono pre. I am trying to decide if I want to go with a stop gap, intermediate solution or just move to a longer term more future proof solution.

My current setup is 3.1, lol. 2 mains, center channel and sub. For stereo listening it is still 2.1 using the AVR. If I switch to the NAD it's just 2.0. All speakers including the sub are passive. I have no complaints with the sub but it looks like modern AVRs do not have an amplified sub out just pre outs expecting the sub to be powered unless it is a 2.1 amplifier.

All my digital audio is piped into the AVR through optical and I'd prefer to keep it this way. I listen to digital audio via streaming or home media FLAC probably 75% of the time (hence the NAD not being the primary use case).

So, short term would be a 2.1 amp with optical in and preferably an onboard phono pre that doesn't need to be replaced by a standalone pre.

Longer term would be a 7.1(.2) AVR with an amplified sub out(?). Mainly because I don't see me swinging for BOTH a new amp and powered sub and phono pre all in one go. My current AVR doesn't have pre outs of any kind (except tape) so stepping up to a powered sub at this time seems a bit silly.

Near term budget is probably in the $500 range, especially if it involved getting a nice deal on something used. For new I might go somewhat higher but anything over say $700 seems just insanity I can't reconcile.

I'm open to different lines of thinking.

the 6XX are out of stock but now i just need to know whether to get a 59X or a grado headphone of a similar price

I am on the hunt for my next amplifier. I'm currently alternating between an old crusty RCA 5.1 AVR and a NAD 3020 PE. The NAD stays in the chain regardless for the phono pre. I am trying to decide if I want to go with a stop gap, intermediate solution or just move to a longer term more future proof solution.

My current setup is 3.1, lol. 2 mains, center channel and sub. For stereo listening it is still 2.1 using the AVR. If I switch to the NAD it's just 2.0. All speakers including the sub are passive. I have no complaints with the sub but it looks like modern AVRs do not have an amplified sub out just pre outs expecting the sub to be powered unless it is a 2.1 amplifier.

All my digital audio is piped into the AVR through optical and I'd prefer to keep it this way. I listen to digital audio via streaming or home media FLAC probably 75% of the time (hence the NAD not being the primary use case).

So, short term would be a 2.1 amp with optical in and preferably an onboard phono pre that doesn't need to be replaced by a standalone pre.

Longer term would be a 7.1(.2) AVR with an amplified sub out(?). Mainly because I don't see me swinging for BOTH a new amp and powered sub and phono pre all in one go. My current AVR doesn't have pre outs of any kind (except tape) so stepping up to a powered sub at this time seems a bit silly.

Near term budget is probably in the $500 range, especially if it involved getting a nice deal on something used. For new I might go somewhat higher but anything over say $700 seems just insanity I can't reconcile.

I have a setup that serves as both a 5.1 home theater and 2 channel for music. I don’t have any specific suggestions for things that fit your price point specifically. I don’t think you will find an AVR with powered sub outputs I could be wrong or they may be a way to wire it to the left and right channels but this obviously wouldn’t be ideal. I purchased a used Marantz SR 5008 AVR for $300 it has pre amp outputs, my left and right channels are powered by a NAD 326beee integrated amp that I purchased for $400 factory refurbished through safe and sound hq. the new version of this integrated has a phono stage on board mine does not. My CD player and TT are connected directly to the integrated and everything else to the AVR which does all the home theater processing as well as powers my center and surround channels and sends line level to my powered subwoofer, also my music listening is 2.0 no subwoofer unless it’s home theater related. Also if you may want to add a second subwoofer you want to look for an AVR that allows you to adjust the the sub outs independent of each other so you can use them to their full potential.

So I keep coming across this Funk Firm Achromat, it's pretty pricey, but people seem to rave about it........anyone have any stories, opinions, insight? :)

So I keep coming across this Funk Firm Achromat, it's pretty pricey, but people seem to rave about it........anyone have any stories, opinions, insight? :)

I think @Ed Selley has experience with it.

I've certainly never heard anything but positive about them. I had my eye on their LSD for a bit.

LSD = Little Super Deck

Is inner groove distortion less prevalent with increased cost of the cartridge or are certain brands or models more desirable to negate this as much as possible. I am aware that there are a plethora of cartridge options just looking for some general guidance as I’m looking to start experimenting. My only experience listening is with my grado black.

Is inner groove distortion less prevalent with increased cost of the cartridge or are certain brands or models more desirable to negate this as much as possible. I am aware that there are a plethora of cartridge options just looking for some general guidance as I’m looking to start experimenting. My only experience listening is with my grado black.
As a generalization, yes. I think the stylus shape is a major contributor to preventing IGD, but I could be wrong. This is one area I could certainly use some more education on.
@HiFi Guy I imagine you might be able to expand on this topic.

Any reason this is a bad idea?

Any reason this is a bad idea?
I have one of these for my TV watching and surround sound needs and like it, but still have my turntable hooked up to my old school amp with an external phono and full range speakers. My wife 'loves' that we have two entire stereos, but the compact size of the Marantz helps ease things over.

Back