Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

friends of mine are looking for a record player suggestion, they have a budget of around 250€ and can stretch that a bit i guess, they dont mind buying 2nd hand. its more for playing a record now and then and not being used dayly. i dont know anything about the other equipment they got right now.
im thinkin about pointing them to whatever Pro-ject they can afford.
any other suggestions ?
thanks in advance

friends of mine are looking for a record player suggestion, they have a budget of around 250€ and can stretch that a bit i guess, they dont mind buying 2nd hand. its more for playing a record now and then and not being used dayly. i dont know anything about the other equipment they got right now.
im thinkin about pointing them to whatever Pro-ject they can afford.
any other suggestions ?
thanks in advance

That is going to be tight new. The AT-LP5 is decent if you can get a deal. I know a shop here had it marked down to €320 for a long time, not seen it any lower than that though. Can’t really think of anything much cheaper than that that’s I like new though.

Well, spent my morning getting this together. I need to get a "stopper" on the back end of the bottom cubes to avoid stuff being pushed too far back, but it's 99% done and I gotta say, I was a little worried about how this was going to play out, but it came out perfect :)

Can't be beat for $150 :cool:
20191128_131014.jpg

Now it's time for a shower, family and good food! Hope everyone has a great day :)

Finished and placed :)

I need to find temporary stands for the ELACs since we're currently saving for floor standing speakers (ZU's hopefully), then we'll move the Polks to the PLX system. Giving the AT VM95ML cart some usage to get it "warmed up". That being said, really nice turntable, very happy to have grabbed one at the price I did.
20191129_113140.jpg

..........now we gotta do some cleaning up down here, I need to reclaim the ENTIRE basement again, lol

Pulled the trigger on a pair of f6.2. Was expecting to drop 400 but with a base price increase and only 40% off this year and with taxes it came to 580. I almost abandoned ship but I didn't think I could get comparable performance for the same price or lower. Excited to receive and try them out next Tuesday.

is there any reason to buy a new cart with an headshell over just using your old headshell?

not really. I’d not trust the factory alignment anyway so I’d be checking that regardless. Maybe if you wanted a second headshell but even then I’d be more likely to still just buy a better quality one separately.

is there any reason to buy a new cart with an headshell over just using your old headshell?
Having extra headshells has value. If you get another table it's one less thing to account for (assuming compatibility). It also opens up options for switching cartridges relatively easily as you can just pop one off and the other on (again assuming extra setup not required). If one stylus broke you'd have a full spare in the trunk instead of a temporary donut. My table has a little section to hold additional loaded headshells which makes it quite convenient.

Having extra headshells has value. If you get another table it's one less thing to account for (assuming compatibility). It also opens up options for switching cartridges relatively easily as you can just pop one off and the other on (again assuming extra setup not required). If one stylus broke you'd have a full spare in the trunk instead of a temporary donut. My table has a little section to hold additional loaded headshells which makes it quite convenient.

thanks guys, i have two spare headshells here, just from another brand.
i think ill buy the AT-VM95ML without headshell then and attach it to the ones i have.

question.. do you clean your QRP and mofi records as well

and if so do you keep the bag they are in?

question.. do you clean your QRP and mofi records as well

and if so do you keep the bag they are in?

Yes and no. I won't put something clean back into an outer that had a dirty record in it and I don't like the mofi and QRP inners as much as the sleeve city ones, they're better quality and more rigid.

I clean everything. Very, very rarely I will reuse a quality inner. Like 2 or 3 in 100. I have found that if never put dirty on the table everything stays clean always (I still brush each side). I have a stylus cleaner but never see anything on it anymore.

Yes and no. I won't put something clean back into an outer that had a dirty record in it and I don't like the mofi and QRP inners as much as the sleeve city ones, they're better quality and more rigid.

just wondered because i plan to get some mofi sleeves and i didn't know if i could just reuse the old sleeves instead of having to waste one of the 50 sleeves

(also im talking about wet cleaning)

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with any of the sweet vinyl sugar cube products

@AnthonyI you we’re right in regards to the pioneer being built like a tank holy cow, obviously solely based on first impressions but it’s hefty, I’m sure being direct drive is part of it but it is substantial. I’ve never had any experience with a direct drive but I didn’t realize it was so heavy, so tired of just about anything sliding my uturn about. No more moving the belt to change speed and the headshell is great except I might go from a vinyl junky to a cartridge junky.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the sweet vinyl sugar cube products

I'm interested as well. I know the distributor and he tried to set me up with a review sample so I could tell y'all about it, but the manufacturer didn't bite. Sorry. Maybe @Ed Selley can get one?

I'm interested as well. I know the distributor and he tried to set me up with a review sample so I could tell y'all about it, but the manufacturer didn't bite. Sorry. Maybe @Ed Selley can get one?
If it does what it says I’m seriously interested, but at that cost I would either need to hear it in person or have someone whom I trust like one of you to create a dialogue about it’s pros and cons even if it’s subjective to the individual listening. I’m merely interested for using it while listening to records that may otherwise be borderline listenable condition for my preference. I would not be using it to “digitize” my records. I haven’t been buying for long but I already have too many records and something like this could bring my enjoyment factor up greatly. I get it if surface noise is a huge deal I should buy cd’s if I want a physical copy but there are so many things I enjoy about records specifically that I would like to continue down that path and this is the kind of product that would eliminate my one gripe with records. I guess my main worry is that others could develop a product that competes and then two years from now there’s a version that is half the price and quantifiable better, I assume what makes this product what it is is the software but unlike other hardware that runs software they could easily move the software to a point where your hardware is incapable of running or they simply only have the new software on new models.

Last edited:
Back