Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

@AnthonyI you we’re right in regards to the pioneer being built like a tank holy cow, obviously solely based on first impressions but it’s hefty, I’m sure being direct drive is part of it but it is substantial. I’ve never had any experience with a direct drive but I didn’t realize it was so heavy, so tired of just about anything sliding my uturn about. No more moving the belt to change speed and the headshell is great except I might go from a vinyl junky to a cartridge junky.
I actually finally got my PLX set up the other day, once I got my "rack" put together. I gotta say, it's a really nice turntable, solid, quiet, some small things to get used to compared to the UltraDeck, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend it at all. I'm running the AT VM95ML on it at the moment and it sounds really nice, I'm thinking of upgrading the cart on my UD and giving the Grado Gold v2 with the 8MZ stylus a run on the PLX with an additional head shell..........one of the reasons I was looking at this deck in the first place. I also added an acrylic mat to it and all is well in my little vinyl corner :)

if i get more audiophile and put a schiit magni in my collection what headphones would you reccomend (i dont need ANY speakers because i dont listen to music that loud and i need them to work with a ton of sounds)

if i get more audiophile and put a schiit magni in my collection what headphones would you reccomend (i dont need ANY speakers because i dont listen to music that loud and i need them to work with a ton of sounds)

Drop has some killer deals this weekend on HiFi Man 400 series and Sennheiser HD-6XX headphones.

Drop has some killer deals this weekend on HiFi Man 400 series and Sennheiser HD-6XX headphones.
first off im talking about in a few months not today because i am broke
second of all which one is better

I actually finally got my PLX set up the other day, once I got my "rack" put together. I gotta say, it's a really nice turntable, solid, quiet, some small things to get used to compared to the UltraDeck, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend it at all. I'm running the AT VM95ML on it at the moment and it sounds really nice, I'm thinking of upgrading the cart on my UD and giving the Grado Gold v2 with the 8MZ stylus a run on the PLX with an additional head shell..........one of the reasons I was looking at this deck in the first place. I also added an acrylic mat to it and all is well in my little vinyl corner :)
I saw what I assume was a couple kallax shelves modified and love it if I’m wrong please correct me with the proper details. I’m currently running the grado black/black from my uturn. Thinking of either trying the AT cart you are running or just upgrade to the 8MZ stylus, either way the other option will happen later on anyway. Would my Hudson Hifi acrylic mat be the correct thickness to run on the pioneer? If so I should flatten it and use that I was running it on my uturn and noticed it was warped so I put it in my vinyl flat but it’s warped again.

I saw what I assume was a couple kallax shelves modified and love it if I’m wrong please correct me with the proper details. I’m currently running the grado black/black from my uturn. Thinking of either trying the AT cart you are running or just upgrade to the 8MZ stylus, either way the other option will happen later on anyway. Would my Hudson Hifi acrylic mat be the correct thickness to run on the pioneer? If so I should flatten it and use that I was running it on my uturn and noticed it was warped so I put it in my vinyl flat but it’s warped again.
Yep, those are my 2 modified Kallax units, lol. And yes, the Hudson acrylic mat is fine.........not warped of course, did it come that way?

I don’t know for sure if it did or not, I’ve had my uturn since January but got a weight in March or April. The warp is not as noticeable without the weight. I was able to flatten it before with my vinyl flat. Also if it was warped originally it would have been replaced at no charge, I don’t know if it was you whom I talked about it before but I’ve since purchased their azimuth, stroboscope/cart alignment mat and I used to purchase inner sleeves from them when available.

I absolutely love my HD 6XX. I’ve done a lot of review study on other phones and it seems to boil down to if you like the 6XX sound then to improve upon it only incrementally you will be tacking zeroes onto the price. In other words the sound to price value cant be beat. Some don’t actually like the sound. It is very relaxed and even. If you want more v shape or attack then other brands are likely for you.

I've considered trying the HE 400 but numerous build quality reports have prevented me from trying them when the 6xx are just great.

Not sure how you aligned your cart, but even though the Pioneer is a Technics clone the arm is shorter. 54mm not 52mm if you used an over hang gauge. If you used a protractor wont matter.

I like having multiple head shells for variety of carts.

So today I decided to make sure that I indeed setup my plx 1000 correctly in regards to balancing the tone arm and the stylus pressure. After doing so it didn’t sound right at all like the left and right channels were bouncing in and out. Put the cart on a different headshell and the only way I can get it to sound halfway decent is to increase the stylus pressure well beyond the 1.5 grado indicates as ideal. I confirmed that my scale was working properly and I didn’t change my process from the initial setup that I didn’t have any severe issues with.

So today I decided to make sure that I indeed setup my plx 1000 correctly in regards to balancing the tone arm and the stylus pressure. After doing so it didn’t sound right at all like the left and right channels were bouncing in and out. Put the cart on a different headshell and the only way I can get it to sound halfway decent is to increase the stylus pressure well beyond the 1.5 grado indicates as ideal. I confirmed that my scale was working properly and I didn’t change my process from the initial setup that I didn’t have any severe issues with.
I would start from scratch.
  • Check the head shell leads are snug and on the right posts
  • Level the head shell & tone arm VTA
  • Calibrate the cart with a protractor
  • Set your VTF (the Grado Gold should be at 1.6)

I would start from scratch.
  • Check the head shell leads are snug and on the right posts
  • Level the head shell & tone arm VTA
  • Calibrate the cart with a protractor
  • Set your VTF (the Grado Gold should be at 1.6)
I did three times before posting this I have taken a step back at the moment to regroup. I followed the same process as I did initially when I had success using the provided instruction manual and then using the Hudson hi fi protractor mat

I’m going to order a new scale also when I removed the stylus from the cart there seemed to be rust on the contacts on the stylus as well as in the cart

I’ve been manual placing the stylus in the record and when I was having problems the tone arm perceivably wasn’t as balanced as when it was working previously

Also I don’t understand why the anti slate dial doesn’t have incremental markings on the same scale as the pressure dial yet they say to match them once you balance the arm and set the stylus pressure

Back