Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I’m probably looking in the $200 range.

I haven’t decided what I want to do dac wise. Do I need a dac to run a CD player through an integrated solid state amp? I figured I cross that bridge when I upgrade to tubes when I retire. Lol

Not at that range no, it’ll have a built in dac and be RCA. It’ll likely have an optical/coax out so you could attach it to a dac if you wanted but it’s by no means necessary.

I’d imagine something like the Yamaha s300 should be not far off that range and it got decent reviews when it came out.

I’m always comfortable with being conservative with something like this because I have about 2000 LP’s and around 100 CD’S, I want to be able to play them but ultimately I would like something that is known to be reliable and a good value.

I’m probably looking in the $200 range.

I haven’t decided what I want to do dac wise. Do I need a dac to run a CD player through an integrated solid state amp? I figured I cross that bridge when I upgrade to tubes when I retire. Lol
Everything in the $200 range (new or used) will be a CD player - aka internal DAC and analog outs.
But look for options that have Coax and/or toslink out. Most made after 2000 did at all price points. If you have digital outs, you can use it as a transport into a DAC later. That's what I'm doing now.

Pure transports (aka no DAC, digital out only) will always clearly call out transport in the name, and they tend to cost notably more.

In that price range, you could snag something pretty solid if you can wait for it. But new, they are generally going to be pretty similar and entry level. Previous models on clearance would be the best bet. If you know what amps you like the sound of, you're probably good sticking in that family, as a general rule (always exceptions).
Another general rule - multi-disk changers are more prone to breaking than single disc players. More plastic moving parts. But if you can find one that's well cared for (like my decades old Sony) then it could be totally fine. Just don't go for those online I think.

*Edit - I would look for gapless playback. Not all players have this, and it's annoying as sh*t when you have an album with continuous tracks (Gorillaz, Pink Floyd, pretty much all EDM, etc).

Final PS - a DVD player will could also serve as a CD player if you want something really cheap and easy. Almost all DVD players have an RC or coax out, and you can pick up a reliable functioning one at walmart with a remote and warranty for under $50. If you truly want a get it done, no bells and whistles option, that'll do it.

I’ve thought about this as an option as I would like a 4K blu ray player but unfortunately like my PlayStation 4 not all dvd or blu ray players are capable of playing compact discs, so still very much a viable option but just a warning to anyone else who intends to use one to play cd's make sure to check the specs first.

Last edited:
I would look for gapless playback. Not all players have this, and it's annoying as sh*t when you have an album with continuous tracks.
So true. A unit to avoid is the Cambridge Audio Topaz CD10, discontinued but still widely available for $199. However, online reviews indicate it inserts pauses between tracks.

Finally decided to do a mid upgrade. Ordered a pair of elac b6.2s this morning. Gonna decide what I want to do for amp next, thinking the onkyo unless someone has a better idea. What is a good affordable CD player? cause I’m gonna need one of them too.

The Onkyo I'd recommend has been discontinued. Check this Pioneer (same company now). Also scroll down for warehouse deals- at $134, you can't go wrong.

Pioneer CD Player

When Klipsch said they were sending me a replacement for my R-51PM I didn’t realize I’d need a degree in hardware engineering to use it. Helppppppimage.jpg

When Klipsch said they were sending me a replacement for my R-51PM I didn’t realize I’d need a degree in hardware engineering to use it. Helpppppp
image.jpg
Well that's interesting, lol. But, it looks like just a couple of screws hold in the back and boards and a ribbon cable connects to the innards. See if this helps.

Oh my god why do people use Apple earpods
They are both super tinny and feel like there is a bit too much bass.. and the isolation is just the worst

Any good IEMs to get when I have a job... Preferably no wire so a cat won't chew on them

Oh my god why do people use Apple earpods
They are both super tinny and feel like there is a bit too much bass.. and the isolation is just the worst

Any good IEMs to get when I have a job... Preferably no wire so a cat won't chew on them

AirPods sound distinctly better than the included headphones, but they share their poor isolation if that matters to you.

if you want fuller sound and better isolation, I’ve heard good things about the Powerbeats Pro, and you won’t lose any of the nice integration you get with AirPods.

AirPods sound distinctly better than the included headphones, but they share their poor isolation if that matters to you.

if you want fuller sound and better isolation, I’ve heard good things about the Powerbeats Pro, and you won’t lose any of the nice integration you get with AirPods.
i dont even have an iphone btw.. i have an android

How are you hoping to connect you earbuds? Old-school headphone jack, USB (which type?), or Bluetooth?
Since you mentioned cordless, I'm guessing Bluetooth. In that case, I think most Bluetooth headsets integrate more or less equally to all the phone brands.

How are you hoping to connect you earbuds? Old-school headphone jack, USB (which type?), or Bluetooth?
Since you mentioned cordless, I'm guessing Bluetooth. In that case, I think most Bluetooth headsets integrate more or less equally to all the phone brands.
i dunno.. i wish i could do headphone jack... but i might have to do bluetooth because my awful cat keeps chewing my earbuds and i am sick of having to buy the same super cheap headphones 30 times... or at the very least have earbuds that give me the ability to remove the chord.. so i can just buy new cords for them

i dunno.. i wish i could do headphone jack... but i might have to do bluetooth because my awful cat keeps chewing my earbuds and i am sick of having to buy the same super cheap headphones 30 times... or at the very least have earbuds that give me the ability to remove the chord.. so i can just buy new cords for them
Ahh, pets. Proof that the desire to destroy something beautiful isn't purely a human trait. Bluetooth has gotten surprisingly good lately. Find something with a decent DAC and good Bluetooth codecs, and you'll probably be okay. That remonds me... *pulls out Sennheiser noise cancellers for the train*. Okay, I'm good!

Purchased a Marantz SR 6008 AVR from a fellow forum member. This has pre amp outputs so I won’t have to plug different speaker cables in when I switch from my integrated amp to my AVR. My Nad integrated doesn’t have a specific input for this situation like some stereo amps. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for volume control when using the AVR? I realize that this will mostly be something I have to experiment with. If anyone does or has in the past had this type of setup and has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Back