Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I have Q Acoustics 3010i speakers on my desktop and really like their sound and style. They came with a nice pair of speaker cables for $250.

They're paired with a NAD C 316BEE integrated, which fits nicely on my desk b/w my two monitors, but doesn't have BT and isn't really a "micro solution." The 3010i does have a smaller footprint than the Elac, however.
Awesome suggestion, I always forget about Q Acoustics. I really need to get my ears on some.

that person who was telling me that my M50s were just bad and thats why i couldn't hear up to 16Khz (though thankfully apparently the ringing in my ears might be sound pressure normalizing). is saying that mixing headphones are not as good because they are meant for "fine tune pitch" and not flat sound. basically saying that headphones are made for different things and stuff (his example being that V-modas are only good for EDM and metal), and that i should just use speakers and accept the embarrassments..

so looks like i need more specialized headphones (i can probably use these to make my own music one day, but i dunno what to do for listening to other music, especially since i want a good all around headphone because i like listening to all music).. i'll probably buy the grado if i can handle open back (though i dunno how it will work on synths and stuff). and probably buy some other closed back and IEM stuff for other music

Since you don't have too many brick and mortar stores around you, try to find an online retailer with a no-questions-asked return policy. As much as I want to say the Grados are all things to everyone, I'm well aware that one man's treasure is another man's trash.
Whatever you get, try to have an chance to give it a listen with your own music and return it if it sounds like ass to you.

On headphones, I have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohms, which are closed back and sound great. I’d recommend them and they’re within your budget by a sizable margin. My iPhone powers them just fine and you can really hear a lot of instrumental detail with them.

definitely would be a good use of a schiit fulla (80 ohms kinda needs an amp)

that does seem like a good option.. instrumental detail is probably the thing i want the most with my music... but at the same time make the bass or guitars seem more... heavy.. the only other thing i'd need is a good seal because the seal on my M50s really are wearing off

(the only reason i'd be unsure about the grados is because i often listen to music lying down on my side and that might mess with the sound on one ear)

I'll confirm that concern. Covering the open backs on Grados really screws up the sound. It makes them sound tinny.
The open back will definitely mess with the sound if you're lying on it (Covering the open back)
thanks for that... my problem is mostly that i often watch youtube or listen to music lying down on my right side with my laptop sideways.. i dunno why.. its just comfy sometimes.. i dunno if i'll go with them or not because of that (i dont always do that, but i do feel i will mess with it also because i lay my head on a kind of floor pillow that might block some of the sound as well)

definitely would be a good use of a schiit fulla (80 ohms kinda needs an amp)

that does seem like a good option.. instrumental detail is probably the thing i want the most with my music... but at the same time make the bass or guitars seem more... heavy.. the only other thing i'd need is a good seal because the seal on my M50s really are wearing off

(the only reason i'd be unsure about the grados is because i often listen to music lying down on my side and that might mess with the sound on one ear)
I would think the powering needs depends on your DAC or source, my experience has mostly been with an iPhone which is surprisingly strong enough to power these.

For what it's worth, I've listened to a lot of Grateful Dead shows (which are great for picking out instruments because everybody is doing something and sometimes all at the same time) on these and you can really pick out individual instruments, much better than listening without headphones or cheaper headphones. I've been pleased.

These have a nice seal and it is almost impossible to hear anything else while the music is playing (and my wife has never complained about hearing these bleed out, even when lying right next to me).

i'm guessing the pillow wont be a problem... the worst i can do from the pillow is if i tilt my head a bit the sound from the right cup will have less air to move through.. i just gotta no lie down on the floor as much..

and i can think of also maybe getting the beyerdynamics for when people are sleeping and when i need sound isolation... also i can return the grado if it turns out my dog will bark at me like crazy whenever i play music :p (now i just need IEMs.. but then again only competent enough is needed for that as its MP3s at V0 and spotify 320k)

Last edited:
question is... if i get a headphone with higher impedence.. do i need to get better powered speakers?

i might just get the drop sennheisers (for my PC) and the grado (for the record player) and keep the M50s for when needed as a kind of travel headphone

Back