Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Is black oak a new color option? Also did the price go up?

Yup those must have literally just got a bump. I bought 3 weeks ago and was $1499 for the set. Even at the $1799 price I think they are still worth it, but man this inflation is getting out of control. :(

1634308217104.png

Yup those must have literally just got a bump. I bought 3 weeks ago and was $1499 for the set. Even at the $1799 price I think they are still worth it, but man this inflation is getting out of control. :(

View attachment 114903
i'm mad because i passed up on a pair for $900 open box a few weeks ago since I just bought the ultradeck. figured they would come back into stock soon as open box...

i'm mad because i passed up on a pair for $900 open box a few weeks ago since I just bought the ultradeck. figured they would come back into stock soon as open box...
Mike, call them and see if they might have a pair from old stock at the old price, or sell you a pair at the old price, worth a shot ?

sometimes manufacturers don't take into account higher prices = less sales either.

Last edited:
thanks to @Russ I 's sleuthing skills, i ordered a pair of Lintons at the old price just now. had free shipping and no sales tax so hopefully they come through! the email confirmation does say "some items may be out of stock or backordered"...

VictoriousUnrealisticEastsiberianlaika-max-1mb.gif

thanks to @Russ I 's sleuthing skills, i ordered a pair of Lintons at the old price just now. had free shipping and no sales tax so hopefully they come through! the email confirmation does say "some items may be out of stock or backordered"...

VictoriousUnrealisticEastsiberianlaika-max-1mb.gif
was it HiFi Heaven?

I moved my ELAC Debut F6.2 to my family room with an AVR and added the matching center speaker, atmos speakers, and sub. I want to add rear speakers but I really don't like the options in the ELAC Debut line. It it an audio sin to use a different brand for the rear speakers? I have no preference for brand really except for ones that are white and can be flush mounted on the wall or recessed behind a panel.

I moved my ELAC Debut F6.2 to my family room with an AVR and added the matching center speaker, atmos speakers, and sub. I want to add rear speakers but I really don't like the options in the ELAC Debut line. It it an audio sin to use a different brand for the rear speakers? I have no preference for brand really except for ones that are white and can be flush mounted on the wall or recessed behind a panel.
No, you generally want the left right and centre to be the same as they will have the main audio coming through them and will share a lot of the same voices and sounds etc. The rears are really just dealing with superfluous stuff like random SFX and more abstract stuff, they really don't need to be the same brand as the fronts.

No, you generally want the left right and centre to be the same as they will have the main audio coming through them and will share a lot of the same voices and sounds etc. The rears are really just dealing with superfluous stuff like random SFX and more abstract stuff, they really don't need to be the same brand as the fronts.
This is often but not always the case. A lot of movies make heavy use of the surrounds for more specific effects and it can be disconcerting if they have a very different timbre than the rest of the system. e.g. the bullet time sequences in The Matrix have gunfire rotating through the room, and if the transition is not seamless it really breaks the illusion.

For TV shows, etc, it's mostly environmental noise where this matters less, but any movie that makes significant use of the surrounds is best heard on a matched system.

This is often but not always the case. A lot of movies make heavy use of the surrounds for more specific effects and it can be disconcerting if they have a very different timbre than the rest of the system. e.g. the bullet time sequences in The Matrix have gunfire rotating through the room, and if the transition is not seamless it really breaks the illusion.

For TV shows, etc, it's mostly environmental noise where this matters less, but any movie that makes significant use of the surrounds is best heard on a matched system.
Maybe if you're really high up the chain of audio gear but honestly I really don't think it would be an issue in this case. Sure it's BEST but if it's not an option like in this case it's really not going to adversely affect your listening enjoyment to go with a different brand in my opinion.
I STAND BY MY ASSESSMENT 🧐

Maybe if you're really high up the chain of audio gear but honestly I really don't think it would be an issue in this case. Sure it's BEST but if it's not an option like in this case it's really not going to adversely affect your listening enjoyment to go with a different brand in my opinion.
I STAND BY MY ASSESSMENT 🧐
It's less important than matching center to mains, for sure.

I'm sure you all can sympathize with this: if they are different brands, I feel like my brain will hear a difference even if it doesn't exist. I might try out the on-wall speakers and see if mounting them behind the sofa is terrible sound wise.

I'm sure you all can sympathize with this: if they are different brands, I feel like my brain will hear a difference even if it doesn't exist. I might try out the on-wall speakers and see if mounting them behind the sofa is terrible sound wise.
Using a receiver's room correction can also help minimize frequency response differences between channels.

If you have space to mount them out to the sides of the couch, that is also a supported layout.

I'm trying to do space planning for my eventual upgrades. I have 6 ikea cube shelves across in space (this is now a normal unit of measurement) Seems like the Wharfedales will be the speakers I get, I'm assuming the speakers on stands will take about 1 cube of space on each side. I then will need to fit my vpi 16.5, receiver, and xbox series x. I'm thinking with my current basic kenwood receiver it won't be an issue. but I would like to eventually upgrade that to something like the PL evo-1000 and some sort of pre-amp for it. Does anyone think that will all fit?

I'm trying to do space planning for my eventual upgrades. I have 6 ikea cube shelves across in space (this is now a normal unit of measurement) Seems like the Wharfedales will be the speakers I get, I'm assuming the speakers on stands will take about 1 cube of space on each side. I then will need to fit my vpi 16.5, receiver, and xbox series x. I'm thinking with my current basic kenwood receiver it won't be an issue. but I would like to eventually upgrade that to something like the PL evo-1000 and some sort of pre-amp for it. Does anyone think that will all fit?

The PL Evos aren’t particularly wide, they’re narrower than most other components, particularly amplifiers, that I have had. They are a fair bit deeper but not too deep to sit on a Kallax by any means. My evo300 is 39cm wide at the front and I have a incline that the 100 isn’t as wide.

The Wharfedale Lintons are 30cm wide which is slightly less that the interior dimensions of a single kallax cube at 33cm.

The phono stage will depend on what you go for but if you’re looking at something like one of the in vogue Darlington Labs ones then they are pretty small.

The only way you will know for sure is to measure everything yourself.

Just to clarify, because when you mentioned sitting the speakers on the kallax I assumed you meant Dentons or something like that, but @Joe Mac understood Lintons. If you mean Lintons, is it advisable to place them on the shelf? You can order separate stands for them.

Just to clarify, because when you mentioned sitting the speakers on the kallax I assumed you meant Dentons or something like that, but @Joe Mac understood Lintons. If you mean Lintons, is it advisable to place them on the shelf? You can order separate stands for them.

Oh when he said at the side I got the impression he meant Lintons on stands to one side of the kallax 😂.

Confusion abounds!

Oh when he said at the side I got the impression he meant Lintons on stands to one side of the kallax 😂.

Confusion abounds!

Joe is right. I would have the stands which is why I'll go down to only 4 cubes worth of space

Back