Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Genuinely curious how much of this is the cart since he’s essentially running different Ortofons on each table.

true but whatever you think of the black it is the headline 2M and the project had a revoiced red on it and as we all know the red is a dog of a cartridge and he prefers it still.

That said I’m not hugely keen on any of these video reviewers

true but whatever you think of the black it is the headline 2M and the project had a revoiced red on it and as we all know the red is a dog of a cartridge and he prefers it still.

That said I’m not hugely keen on any of these video reviewers
I’m with you there, Darko has been my favorite of the bunch fwiw. I’ve been saving up for a GR to upgrade my Fluance but now thinking of trying this table out for a fraction of the price.

It still seems like a Pro-Ject with its short tonearm, just has very nice touch points. The money seems to have gone into aesthetics rather than the motor or arm.

It still seems like a Pro-Ject with its short tonearm, just has very nice touch points. The money seems to have gone into aesthetics rather than the motor or arm.
cross posted from Project thread: I like Darko and don't think he is a huge Schill like some others. But his musical taste's are more electronic and techno. I think you will have the Technics (if they ever make it out again or you get a 1500C) or a VPI the rest of your Life C. Just sayin'

Genuinely curious how much of this is the cart since he’s essentially running different Ortofons on each table.
I like Darco, he has his moments and he's the first to admit he's not very keen on entry level TT's. That said and to @Joe Mac's comment, reviewers get caught up in "higher end' gear and that leaves a lot of us normal folk out of the game. While some more expensive TTs may deliver an audible upgrade, I'm really starting to lean on a comment Steve G made a while back about most equipment produced today is going to be good. Now it boils down to price point, I'm finding this to be very true with cartridges, at a certain point, they all sound good, it's preferences. I'm starting to think the same thing when it comes to gear, which of course enforces the logic of picking a budget and getting the "best" in that budget.

I'm growing tired of things having to be "Game Changers" all the time. I'm commenting on this because I'm still debating the swap from the PLX to a 1210GR, ultimately I can't come up with a solid why.

I like Darco, he has his moments and he's the first to admit he's not very keen on entry level TT's. That said and to @Joe Mac's comment, reviewers get caught up in "higher end' gear and that leaves a lot of us normal folk out of the game. While some more expensive TTs may deliver an audible upgrade, I'm really starting to lean on a comment Steve G made a while back about most equipment produced today is going to be good. Now it boils down to price point, I'm finding this to be very true with cartridges, at a certain point, they all sound good, it's preferences. I'm starting to think the same thing when it comes to gear, which of course enforces the logic of picking a budget and getting the "best" in that budget.

I'm growing tired of things having to be "Game Changers" all the time. I'm commenting on this because I'm still debating the swap from the PLX to a 1210GR, ultimately I can't come up with a solid why.

I think I’m at a point where the idea of a constant upgrade cycle is not something I want. Let’s be honest analogue audio technology is old and largely perfected. It’s not a mobile or a computer where improved software and/or hardware can make an appreciable difference. I’m a couple of new bits away from having a system that I just want to be there forever.

Yea--it gets easy to catch upgrade-itis. I have two setups and I'm very happy with one of them. Once I add a few pieces to the other setup, I think the only thing I might eventually keep swapping is cartridges whenever the current ones I am using die (or tubes).

This is basically where I am right now. Aside from MAYBE upgrading my table or cart down the line... MAYBE, I don't see any need to touch anything else. This sound is by far the best I can ever imagine having and anything beyond where I am now is likely to be a lot of money for very diminishing returns... I will try a MC at some point just to see the difference. But I think likely that's it.

Yea--it gets easy to catch upgrade-itis. I have two setups and I'm very happy with one of them. Once I add a few pieces to the other setup, I think the only thing I might eventually keep swapping is cartridges whenever the current ones I am using die (or tubes).
Carts have been fun and telling, I'm even close to a line-up I'll be sticking with for the long haul based on sound and price. I've made the initial swap on tubes to GLs/88's and I'm perfectly happy with replacements when needed at this point. Honestly, for my next upgrade I'm looking at a Dr. Feickert protractor, pricey, but my aging eyes and what not are probably my biggest "quality" decline going forward, lol

Last edited:
I've never owned one, but I would NOT recommend this TT, lol. This is the inside of an Angels Horn TT. Not a follower of this channel, but it popped up on my feed and I'd never heard of this "budget" ($170) brand..........I can see why :)

Link to the vid if you're interested. (FYI, the TT died on camera while testing)
1632228742260.png

I've never owned one, but I would NOT recommend this TT, lol. This is the inside of an Angels Horn TT. Not a follower of this channel, but it popped up on my feed and I'd never heard of this "budget" ($170) brand..........I can see why :)

Link to the vid if you're interested. (FYI, the TT died on camera while testing)
View attachment 112825
Smokin'! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah carts and tubes are consumables you have to switch them eventually anyway so they’re perfect bit to experiment with! The actual gear though I would like to be set on for good soonish.

well this is....a thing!

MoFi_Electronics_Fender_PrecisionDeck_Sunburst_02_Front_Record_1200x.jpg

Back