Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

That makes sense. I really like the look of the Rega tables and that is a factor for me as my wife is a very visual person. I'm not a huge fan of the more DJ style turntables for that reason. I am open to suggestions around the $1200 or less range.

My wife is a creative executive at a large studio and has been recommended to start-up a european team for her particular division (pre-school tv) but it has to go through a lot of approvals to make it happen. We weren't sure if it would be London or Amsterdam, but we would be happy for either!

The mofi isn’t 100% to my taste but it’s undoubtedly a handsome table if that’s the consideration. If you’d still prefer a rega it might not be a bad idea to buy a p6 when you’re in London for a similar price as you’d pay for the 3 in the US and bring it back with you.

Last edited:
I see the NAD C316BEE recommended a bunch --is that one of the better amps around $500? I'm looking to buy a new amp for my living room--ideally one with a small-ish footprint. Right now I'm using a temporary setup with a Sony home theater system as the amp but looking for something that's just dedicated to audio as we don't have TV in there. Looking like I'm gonna sell some records and equipment to grab the Lintons in the next month or two. The amp would likely be paired with my Thorens Vinyl Nirvana TT with Rega Moth tonearm + Grado Gold 3 + Jolida JD9 phono stage. I have a digital streaming setup I'd add as well so don't need something with a built-in DAC and don't technically need a phono stage in the amp but I know a lot come with them already.

Yeah! We've been trying to buy a house here in LA for the last year, but the prices and competition are so insane so it would be nice to get out of that rat race for a bit. We have a rent-controlled apartment in a great neighbohood, so it is hard to rationalize moving. This opportunity would be a good excuse to shed the golden handcuffs! As a musical anglophile, it would be amazing for me. I have no idea how much we would like to live there (love visiting) because it is so different than LA in weather and lifestyle.
The LA housing market has been even worse than NY's. My buddy put in offer in on a house the other week and it sold for $350,000 over asking (I think asking was around $600k-$700k). NY, especially outside of NYC, has been pretty brutal too but we lucked out with our house. The owner was an older new-age lady who said the house spoke to her and said it wanted us to live there. Apparently she turned down a bunch of other offers that were higher than ours because we said how much we loved the garden and wanted to spend time outside haha.

I love her
She is a pretty fascinating lady. Opened up a marketing research firm in the 1970s and made a ton of money, then really got into birds. She owns a bird sanctuary and used to just have birds flying around the house. We did paint over some of the hand-painted murals she had downstairs and are terrified that she is going to drop by one day and see it. But when we looked at the murals up close in person, the birds had human faces and it really creeped us out and couldn't be unseen.

That makes sense. I really like the look of the Rega tables and that is a factor for me as my wife is a very visual person. I'm not a huge fan of the more DJ style turntables for that reason. I am open to suggestions around the $1200 or less range.

My wife is a creative executive at a large studio and has been recommended to start-up a european team for her particular division (pre-school tv) but it has to go through a lot of approvals to make it happen. We weren't sure if it would be London or Amsterdam, but we would be happy for either!
Fingers crossed for you that you get Amsterdam. London is massively shit

The LA housing market has been even worse than NY's. My buddy put in offer in on a house the other week and it sold for $350,000 over asking (I think asking was around $600k-$700k). NY, especially outside of NYC, has been pretty brutal too but we lucked out with our house. The owner was an older new-age lady who said the house spoke to her and said it wanted us to live there. Apparently she turned down a bunch of other offers that were higher than ours because we said how much we loved the garden and wanted to spend time outside haha.

Yeah it is insanely brutal. One house we looked at went for over 1 million over asking. We’ve been regularly outbid by 200k-300k. At this point I’m almost morally opposed to buying a house here. People with money keep driving the prices up, meanwhile there are people literally living in tents on the sidewalk in front of my apartment. It’s a mess.

Fingers crossed for you that you get Amsterdam. London is massively shit

Oh I should have mentioned that Amsterdam is already off the table since the studios are in the UK. I was hoping for Amsterdam to because it seems like a nice place with a small child!

Yeah it is insanely brutal. One house we looked at went for over 1 million over asking. We’ve been regularly outbid by 200k-300k. At this point I’m almost morally opposed to buying a house here. People with money keep driving the prices up, meanwhile there are people literally living in tents on the sidewalk in front of my apartment. It’s a mess.

Oh I should have mentioned that Amsterdam is already off the table since the studios are in the UK. I was hoping for Amsterdam to because it seems like a nice place with a small child!
Man, pre-school TV made in the UK looks like the folk are on drugs (Teletubbies, In the Night Garden etc.), so I'd love to see what shows made out of Amsterdam look like!

Man, pre-school TV made in the UK looks like the folk are on drugs (Teletubbies, In the Night Garden etc.), so I'd love to see what shows made out of Amsterdam look like!

the Uk is also the home of Moonbug entertainment which has some of the biggest kids shows in the world-- cocomelon, blippie, little baby bum etc

If you know, you know

It was before my time but in the US, the Syd & Marty Krofft productions (Banana Splits, H.R. Pufnstuf, etc…) were completely bonkers. Lysergic Acid and strong weed definitely played a role in their creation…
E5FF0D7D-67DB-4EAE-AD41-772B23F20CDB.gif
1F3B6E9C-232A-446C-9B86-494AEDC6F098.gif

After getting some advice on here, I was looking at my local hi-fi store's page and am interesting in possibly a variation of this bundle--

Not sure if I want the Rega Planar 3 or one of the other turntables that have been recommended. I know the Lintons are popular around here, any thoughts on this amp-- (Rogue audio sphinx)?

They also have a less-expensive bundle with a Rega amp:
There is no need to feel that the Rega Planar 3 would require an update soon; it is widely well regarded. I’d worry more about cartridge selection than about the quality of the turntable itself.

I see the NAD C316BEE recommended a bunch --is that one of the better amps around $500? I'm looking to buy a new amp for my living room--ideally one with a small-ish footprint. Right now I'm using a temporary setup with a Sony home theater system as the amp but looking for something that's just dedicated to audio as we don't have TV in there. Looking like I'm gonna sell some records and equipment to grab the Lintons in the next month or two. The amp would likely be paired with my Thorens Vinyl Nirvana TT with Rega Moth tonearm + Grado Gold 3 + Jolida JD9 phono stage. I have a digital streaming setup I'd add as well so don't need something with a built-in DAC and don't technically need a phono stage in the amp but I know a lot come with them already.
I have owned NAD gear for years and found it to provide a lot of bang for the buck. But, for the Lintons, I would suggest the Marantz PM6007 integrated instead. It probably has a bit higher sound quality ceiling than the C316BEE. The Marantz may be a bit harder to find, though, because it’s DAC chip provider had a huge factory fire last year.

the Uk is also the home of Moonbug entertainment which has some of the biggest kids shows in the world-- cocomelon, blippie, little baby bum etc

If you know, you know
Unfortunately. I know. But what I didn’t know, was that it was a U.K. co. So that at least makes them slightly less annoying and soul destroying given they’re home grown to some degree!

I have owned NAD gear for years and found it to provide a lot of bang for the buck. But, for the Lintons, I would suggest the Marantz PM6007 integrated instead. It probably has a bit higher sound quality ceiling than the C316BEE. The Marantz may be a bit harder to find, though, because it’s DAC chip provider had a huge factory fire last year.

I had the 6006 before my Elex-r and it’s a great amp, so I can only assume the 6007 is equally as capable. It gets a recommendation for me. Provided you get it in black 👌🏻

I realize that the Marantz I recommended earlier may be outside of the target price range. A close engineering cousin may be the Denon PMA-600NE. It’s closer to the price of the NAD and has also received favorable reviews.

I realize that the Marantz I recommended earlier may be outside of the target price range. A close engineering cousin may be the Denon PMA-600NE. It’s closer to the price of the NAD and has also received favorable reviews.

I could probably spring for the Marantz if it comes down to it. It's not THAT much over budget that I'd be scared away. Will research the Marantz more--thanks!

Back