Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

@Mr Moustache - Fair point on active versus powered; the Adam T8V is active.

It can all be very confusing for a newbie - I still get flustered after, *ahem*, many years. It’s best to start with your priorities and your price points. In some homes, active speakers are the best bet because of space considerations, or if plug and play is a high lifestyle priority.

There are many very fine stand mounted actives with excellent sound quality (e.g. LS50 Wireless). You easily can outspend a budget using actives before you run out of improvement options (e.g. Buchardt A500). If you move to passive speakers, you do get a wider range of future upgrade options.

The Rega P1 is a basic, but well-regarded turntable. There is quite an aftermarket for improvements/tweaks (platters, counterweights, feet, covers, improved power supplies, etc).

The biggest issue I see is the need for tonearm spacers to accommodate different cartridges. I’d hate that, personally, but it is not a big issue for a plug and play system - you can improve cartridges within the Rega family.

My last upgrade path was as follows:
Speakers > Turntable > Cartridge > Integrated Amp w/ phono (phono would have been last if not for being built-in).

My next purchase will likely be a better cartridge. I’m likely done with all the other components in this system for at least 5 years.

Thanks for the advice all. I think I agree with @Mr Moustache that speakers/amp would be my top priority. I should mention that user-friendly is important to me. I want as close to a plug and play system that is higher end than the basic one I have now, if that makes sense. That's part of the reason I went for the Rega in the first place. It was also a huge upgrade from my previous AT platter. I found the box for the cartridge upgrade. It is a Sumiko Olympia.

@McGlam I’d change a couple of things around:

NAD C316BEE amplifier $449
Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable $699
A/T VM95ML cartridge $169
Wharfedale Lintons with stands $1500 assuming room for them.

I think based on the initial advice here I'm going to try for the Lintons in the next few months and look into the amp that @HiFi Guy mentioned and the darlington preamp that @Joe Mac mentioned. The store I bought my turntable at is a Wharfedale dealer, so maybe I can go talk to them and inquire about a trade-in on my turntable. I considered a Fluance when I bought my Rega, so I like the idea of that. @HiFi Guy -- the Pioneer turntable looks like a DJ set up. I'm curious why you suggested that one.

Getting excited about an upgrade!

I think based on the initial advice here I'm going to try for the Lintons in the next few months and look into the amp that @HiFi Guy mentioned and the darlington preamp that @Joe Mac mentioned. The store I bought my turntable at is a Wharfedale dealer, so maybe I can go talk to them and inquire about a trade-in on my turntable. I considered a Fluance when I bought my Rega, so I like the idea of that. @HiFi Guy -- the Pioneer turntable looks like a DJ set up. I'm curious why you suggested that one.

Getting excited about an upgrade!
He's gonna say the PLX is a great turntable, with all the adjustments you'll ever need. It's intended or usual purpose doesn't really matter for your set up.... at least that's my guess.

He's gonna say the PLX is a great turntable, with all the adjustments you'll ever need. It's intended or usual purpose doesn't really matter for your set up.... at least that's my guess.
@McGlam this. It’s by far the best table out there at the $700 price point. Can you DJ it? Yes. Do you have to? No. But nothing out there comes close to it for the money.

Watch for sales/coupons and it can be had for under $600.

@McGlam this. It’s by far the best table out there at the $700 price point. Can you DJ it? Yes. Do you have to? No. But nothing out there comes close to it for the money.

Watch for sales/coupons and it can be had for under $600.
I’ve got a PLX 1000; I agree. I’m no DJ.

*Edit - added Stereophile review of PLX-1000*

Last edited:
By this point I should probably take this to another thread, but FWIW I think the Kenwood needs to be recapped. It seems to clip on loud, low bass notes, and after borrowing a friend's receiver to double-check that it wasn't the speakers, which it isn't thank the lord, it seems the Kenwood sounds too dark? At any rate, I would have no idea what to do about that… Still, for the time being it's not bad enough to stop me from using it.

By this point I should probably take this to another thread, but FWIW I think the Kenwood needs to be recapped. It seems to clip on loud, low bass notes, and after borrowing a friend's receiver to double-check that it wasn't the speakers, which it isn't thank the lord, it seems the Kenwood sounds too dark? At any rate, I would have no idea what to do about that… Still, for the time being it's not bad enough to stop me from using it.
Recapping is likely to be at least $100 to do with parts and labor. For $200, there are probably a number of decent used options. I’m not aware of recapping being a solution to amp clipping. If the amp is clipping, you need an amp with more power output for those speakers.

I looked at the Kenwood listing in HiFi Engine and it should be capable of 50W per channel, sufficient for the moderate sensitivity JBLs. The JBLs do dip down to near 4 ohms at around 200 Hz. Make sure that you slide the impedance switch “less than 8 ohms” for best performance.

Have you tried taking the top off the Kenwood and spraying some air duster in there and cleaning out the switches and knobs with some electric cleanre? I'm in the middle of a huge reno at the house where dust is everywhere. I was getting really bad static and distortion. Did the above and man it sound better than when I bought it. A dirty knob can wreak havoc.

Just bought a new fridge last week; inventory was back and I was able to get it in two days. But, my new oven was back ordered for 45 days. The new DAC I purchased directly from China 4 weeks ago only had a week long delay in shipping. Things are getting better, slowly.

Building a new deck - won’t discuss lumber 😂
We are doing a kitchen renovation and ordered both the cabinets and stove last month. They aren't expected until November at the earliest. Just the way it is at this point so just staying patient.

I looked at the Kenwood listing in HiFi Engine and it should be capable of 50W per channel, sufficient for the moderate sensitivity JBLs. The JBLs do dip down to near 4 ohms at around 200 Hz. Make sure that you slide the impedance switch “less than 8 ohms” for best performance.
It's not really clipping but at any rate it doesn't seem to do it if I leave it on for a couple minutes before trying to play anything. Even seems to sound better. And it has been set to “less than 8Ω” the whole time. I am thinking about replacing it but for the time being it's not bothering me enough to worry about it. Thanks!

Have you tried taking the top off the Kenwood and spraying some air duster in there and cleaning out the switches and knobs with some electric cleanre? I'm in the middle of a huge reno at the house where dust is everywhere. I was getting really bad static and distortion. Did the above and man it sound better than when I bought it. A dirty knob can wreak havoc.

I'll try this. My dad said he seemed to remember it doing the same thing when it was hooked up years ago though. Which, in fairness, if it's a ruined capacitor you'd expect it to get worse so maybe it's f'd up in a different way. Or just dirty.

We are doing a kitchen renovation and ordered both the cabinets and stove last month. They aren't expected until November at the earliest. Just the way it is at this point so just staying patient.

wood is an issue everywhere - wife’s new wardrobes not even due to be manufactured til September due to lack of wood 🪵

(lack of wood - always a problem round here!)

After getting some advice on here, I was looking at my local hi-fi store's page and am interesting in possibly a variation of this bundle--

Not sure if I want the Rega Planar 3 or one of the other turntables that have been recommended. I know the Lintons are popular around here, any thoughts on this amp-- (Rogue audio sphinx)?

They also have a less-expensive bundle with a Rega amp:

After getting some advice on here, I was looking at my local hi-fi store's page and am interesting in possibly a variation of this bundle--

Not sure if I want the Rega Planar 3 or one of the other turntables that have been recommended. I know the Lintons are popular around here, any thoughts on this amp-- (Rogue audio sphinx)?

They also have a less-expensive bundle with a Rega amp:

That’s mostly a really nice system. I’d probably see if they’d substitute out the rega for something else. Its a really nice table but rega’s are comically overpriced in the US, you pay the same for the 3 as we do the 6, and you could probably do better for similar money. They seem to carry mofi so if it was me I’d probably chance my arm at them doing the same package but with a mofi studiodeck.

I like the idea of the rogue, I’m 99% sure that someone around here is running one with Lintons but my memory fails me, and the Lintons and everyone seems to love that bluesound streamer.

Last edited:
That’s mostly a really nice system. I’d probably see if they’d substitute out the rega for something else. Its a really nice table but rega’s are comically overpriced in the US, you pay the same for the 3 as we do the 6, and you could probably do better for similar money. They seem to carry mofi so if it was me I’d probably chance my arm at them doing the same package but with a mofi studiodeck.

I like the idea of the rogue, I’m 99% sure that someone around here is running one with Lintons but my memory fails me, and the Lintons and everyone seems to love that bluesound streamer.

Yeah the turntable is really the big question. I bought my Rega P1 from them, so I know this store really likes them. I'm thinking I might as well spend a bit extra and go for a turntable that I will never need to replace. My wife loves the look of the Lintons, so I think I'm sold there. we may be moving to London for a couple of years, if so I will push all of this until we get back. I don't how I will go two years without spinning vinyl. I don't want to buy a bunch and have to ship it back!

Yeah the turntable is really the big question. I bought my Rega P1 from them, so I know this store really likes them. I'm thinking I might as well spend a bit extra and go for a turntable that I will never need to replace. My wife loves the look of the Lintons, so I think I'm sold there. we may be moving to London for a couple of years, if so I will push all of this until we get back. I don't how I will go two years without spinning vinyl. I don't want to buy a bunch and have to ship it back!

Oh wow! That’s exciting. What might be bringing you to London?

But yeah if it’s only a short term move you don’t really want to be hulking that much across the Atlantic and then needing a transformer to work it because of the difference in electricity systems. The P3 is a great table by all accounts it’s just that it gets far too big an price hike on export to the US to make it good value for you lot.

Oh wow! That’s exciting. What might be bringing you to London?

But yeah if it’s only a short term move you don’t really want to be hulking that much across the Atlantic and then needing a transformer to work it because of the difference in electricity systems. The P3 is a great table by all accounts it’s just that it gets far too big an price hike on export to the US to make it good value for you lot.

That makes sense. I really like the look of the Rega tables and that is a factor for me as my wife is a very visual person. I'm not a huge fan of the more DJ style turntables for that reason. I am open to suggestions around the $1200 or less range.

My wife is a creative executive at a large studio and has been recommended to start-up a european team for her particular division (pre-school tv) but it has to go through a lot of approvals to make it happen. We weren't sure if it would be London or Amsterdam, but we would be happy for either!

My wife is a creative executive at a large studio and has been recommended to start-up a european team for her particular division (pre-school tv) but it has to go through a lot of approvals to make it happen. We weren't sure if it would be London or Amsterdam, but we would be happy for either!
That's rad! Always thought it would be pretty cool to work in kids TV as I'm an animator with my own small studio. My wife wants to move back to the UK at some point. Probably wouldn't happen for awhile as we just bought a house here but work bringing you there would be a good reason to move there! London is awesome.

That's rad! Always thought it would be pretty cool to work in kids TV as I'm an animator with my own small studio. My wife wants to move back to the UK at some point. Probably wouldn't happen for awhile as we just bought a house here but work bringing you there would be a good reason to move there! London is awesome.

Yeah! We've been trying to buy a house here in LA for the last year, but the prices and competition are so insane so it would be nice to get out of that rat race for a bit. We have a rent-controlled apartment in a great neighbohood, so it is hard to rationalize moving. This opportunity would be a good excuse to shed the golden handcuffs! As a musical anglophile, it would be amazing for me. I have no idea how much we would like to live there (love visiting) because it is so different than LA in weather and lifestyle.

Back