Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I could probably spring for the Marantz if it comes down to it. It's not THAT much over budget that I'd be scared away. Will research the Marantz more--thanks!

I’d not dismiss the NAD by any means though. It’s a firm forum favourite with lots in here owning it for a reason. That said I’ve equally not heard a Marantz for a while that I didn’t like at its price point so 🤷🏻

I’d not dismiss the NAD by any means though. It’s a firm forum favourite with lots in here owning it for a reason. That said I’ve equally not heard a Marantz for a while that I didn’t like at its price point so 🤷🏻
Yep! Will check out the NAD too and compare. I've always liked Marantz too especially at their price points.

Yep! Will check out the NAD too and compare. I've always liked Marantz too especially at their price points.

Yeah my dad has two of the all in one cd one paired with Dali Zensor 1 bookshelves on stands. For what it costs and it being used for CDs and/or pretty low bit rate mp3s on an iPod it sounds pretty excellent. I really liked what I heard of the old 6005 too when I demoed one about a decade ago.

When you get a bit higher end they do hit some serious completion (as beautiful as the model 30 is I’m not picking it ahead of a lot of stuff for what it costs) but they still review very well.

Is there that much of a difference if you’re running analog outs into your amp vs the digital optical out from your CD player into a DAC into your amp?

If there is a difference, would I then be able to buy something like the Bluesound Node as my DAC or is a dedicated DAC without streaming recommend?

Is there that much of a difference if you’re running analog outs into your amp vs the digital optical out from your CD player into a DAC into your amp?

If there is a difference, would I then be able to buy something like the Bluesound Node as my DAC or is a dedicated DAC without streaming recommend?

It really depends on whether the DAC in your digital component is better that the one in your amp or the standalone one you buy. If it is it will sound better digital into it, if it isn’t it will sound better using the standard analogue connections.

The bluesound isn’t a DAC, it’s a streamer. It’s connectivity would be similar to a standard CD player. It has an inbuilt DAC chip so you can connect it straight to a stereo or can bypass it using a digital output. It does not have digital inputs to let you make use of its DAC chip with another device.

I'm a proponent of separates, so I'd probably eventually want an external DAC in your case. When I first got my Aries Mini streamer, I used its internal DAC but eventually upgraded to a separate DAC and it sounds much better to me. And as Joe said, pretty sure you can't use the bluesound's DAC for other devices because of the lack of the digital input.

I'm a proponent of separates, so I'd probably eventually want an external DAC in your case. When I first got my Aries Mini streamer, I used its internal DAC but eventually upgraded to a separate DAC and it sounds much better to me. And as Joe said, pretty sure you can't use the bluesound's DAC for other devices because of the lack of the digital input.

Which DAC do you use Mike? Also likewise the DAC in my preamp/DAC thingy is miles ahead of the built in ones in my digital bits. It does depend on you getting a better DAC though and not just
one for the sake of getting one.

Which DAC do you use Mike? Also likewise the DAC in my preamp/DAC thingy is miles ahead of the built in ones in my digital bits. It does depend on you getting a better DAC though and not just
I use the Singxer SDA-2 and I really like it. I've only really compared to the internal Aries DAC or the built in dac on my receiver but it sounds much better to me. I got it "like new" on a forum for quite a bit below MSRP.

I use the Singxer SDA-2 and I really like it. I've only really compared to the internal Aries DAC or the built in dac on my receiver but it sounds much better to me. I got it "like new" on a forum for quite a bit below MSRP.

Yeah similar for me, my preamp is essentially mainly a DAC but with an analogue preamp built in. It sure did kick my CD and streaming quality up a notch!

I have two different DACs. I have a $100 Schiit Modi 3 and a brand new $650 Topping D70s. The Topping is definitely not 6.5 times better sounding than the Schiit; it may sound 10% better. Newer DACs have a tendency to sound more alike than turntables or cartridges do of a similar price differential. Both DACs are definitely better than the embedded DACs in my old CD players.

A $100 DAC from either Schiit or Topping can deliver great results. My advice would be to buy the least expensive reputable DAC that has the connectivity and features that you need. I bought the D70s to get balanced outputs, remote volume control, MQA and Bluetooth inputs from a well-regarded company.

I have two different DACs. I have a $100 Schiit Modi 3 and a brand new $650 Topping D70s. The Topping is definitely not 6.5 times better sounding than the Schiit; it may sound 10% better. Newer DACs have a tendency to sound more alike than turntables or cartridges do of a similar price differential. Both DACs are definitely better than the embedded DACs in my old CD players.

A $100 DAC from either Schiit or Topping can deliver great results. My advice would be to buy the least expensive reputable DAC that has the connectivity and features that you need. I bought the D70s to get balanced outputs, remote volume control, MQA and Bluetooth inputs from a well-regarded company.
I stream from my Macbook-Audrivana direct to a Schiit Modius Dac ($200). I really like, a bit more smooth and refined than the Modi3+(99) I had.

I currently have an Audio Technica LP-60 running through two Presonus monitors. It's a very beginner setup, but I'm looking to upgrade in the next couple months. I keep looking at either a Fluance or an Orbit, but my wife insists I get a Technics 1200 (she had a pair of them in university when she would DJ). Any advice on upgrading? I know I'd need to invest in a preamp, so that's always a welcome bit of info, as well. I'm wanting to spend around 700-1200 bucks.

I currently have an Audio Technica LP-60 running through two Presonus monitors. It's a very beginner setup, but I'm looking to upgrade in the next couple months. I keep looking at either a Fluance or an Orbit, but my wife insists I get a Technics 1200 (she had a pair of them in university when she would DJ). Any advice on upgrading? I know I'd need to invest in a preamp, so that's always a welcome bit of info, as well. I'm wanting to spend around 700-1200 bucks.

I think with that budget, most will suggest the Pioneer PLX-1000. Similar to a 1200 but better than the Fluance and Orbit. Of course if you are not wanting the look of a DJ style table, then you might consider the Fluance. However, if you want to hit your max budget, you could look into the MoFi StudioDeck.

In addition to the Pioneer there is also the Technics Sl1500c. Whilst I’m not normally a fan of built in phono stages the one on it reviews decently. It’s is effectively a SL1200 mk7 but better looking and with the phono. The only note of caution is that I hate the ortofon 2m red that comes pre mounted. It’s easy enough to improve thiugh with a stylus swap to the 2m blue.

No surprise to anyone, I'm giving a bump to the PLX. The ONLY con is the unhinged cover, outside of that, it's a keeper all day at it's price point ;)
PLX_Plus.jpg

In addition to the Pioneer there is also the Technics Sl1500c. Whilst I’m not normally a fan of built in phono stages the one on it reviews decently. It’s is effectively a SL1200 mk7 but better looking and with the phono. The only note of caution is that I hate the ortofon 2m red that comes pre mounted. It’s easy enough to improve thiugh with a stylus swap to the 2m blue.
My friend’s got a 1500c and it’s a very nice table.

My friend’s got a 1500c and it’s a very nice table.
Grado has these in stock in black & silver btw with free shipping just at @mrjoshuamccormack limit

1628270135173.png

Last edited:
No surprise to anyone, I'm giving a bump to the PLX. The ONLY con is the unhinged cover, outside of that, it's a keeper all day at it's price point ;)
View attachment 107820
You know I just started fully removing my hinged cover on each use awhile ago, and probably won't go back. Just set it on top of the kallax. In my opinion, that's preferred now.

You know I just started fully removing my hinged cover on each use awhile ago, and probably won't go back. Just set it on top of the kallax. In my opinion, that's preferred now.
Oh, I've never had a problem with that, I even used to remove the UD cover when using it. I just know some dislike that "little" inconvenience. ;)

Back