Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Thats fair but the Rega would soon become a limiting factor if the rest of the gear improved. It doesn’t have any adjustment offer any flexibility for changing the cartridge on it to upgrade its sound to keep up. The reason I mentioned the fluance is that it offers a better cartridge out the box and is quite easy to change cartridges on with the removable headshell.

A passive speaker and amp is no more complicated than a set of active speakers to use and is barely so to set up and it offers a lot of advantages in terms of sound and flexibility.

Thanks for the info. I have actually upgraded the cart on my Rega, I can't remember the cart, maybe I still have the box. It was recommended by the shop where I bought the table.

Thanks for the info. I have actually upgraded the cart on my Rega, I can't remember the cart, maybe I still have the box. It was recommended by the shop where I bought the table.

There will be rega carts that fit it but there will be a limited number even of those because it doesn’t let you adjust the tracking force easily or much. I’ve heard of people having to use blu tack on the headshell to try to add weight. If you wanted to look to change to something else outside the rega family then you’d likely have no chance.

It is, but the Adam T8V is an upgrade.
No, they are powered speakers. Active speakers have an amp in each speakers, meaning you have to plug each for power. The advantage is that the crossover perfectly matches the speakers. Passive speakers will give you more flexibility but the amp in active speakers are tailored for your speakers to sound as best as possible. I just thought I would mention active speakers here, just to know this is also a valid option. I agree you will probably want to upgrade from the RP1 at some point, but for now I think speakers/amp is your first priority.

To follow on I think you’d have a pretty big jump with:

Fluance RT85 $500
Darlington MM6 phono stage $329
I’ll let someone else take the amp
Wharfedale Lintons with stand $1500; or
Wharfedale Dentons MD have open box set of 85 for $699 but 80s often new at $599. Are bookshelves so may need to factor in stands.

I’m sure others will give you their views too and you’ll be able to build a picture.
@McGlam I’d change a couple of things around:

NAD C316BEE amplifier $449
Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable $699
A/T VM95ML cartridge $169
Wharfedale Lintons with stands $1500 assuming room for them.

I'm not a big fan of powereed speakers, seem more prone to failures and issues.
This is indeed a risk with these. And electronics component are usually under warranty for only a short period of time. But as usual, buy equipment from a notable manufacturer and you should be good.

If one already owned a phono stage I’d say save 100 and get the 100-C when it launches. Same turntable minus the built in phono. I’d keep the AT VM95 cartridge but update the stylus to the ML.
This was going to be my upgrade path before the Pioneer stole my heart, I specifically asked about carts in that price range and was recommended the above A/T or a Grado Gold 3 for a little more

This was going to be my upgrade path before the Pioneer stole my heart, I specifically asked about carts in that price range and was recommended the above A/T or a Grado Gold 3 for a little more

Yeah the Gold 3 or the Opus are solid picks that I’d buy if it was without a cart for sure. I think that with that one coming with the AT I’d just do a stylus swap.

There will be rega carts that fit it but there will be a limited number even of those because it doesn’t let you adjust the tracking force easily or much. I’ve heard of people having to use blu tack on the headshell to try to add weight. If you wanted to look to change to something else outside the rega family then you’d likely have no chance.

@McGlam I’d change a couple of things around:

NAD C316BEE amplifier $449
Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable $699
A/T VM95ML cartridge $169
Wharfedale Lintons with stands $1500 assuming room for them.

Thanks for the advice all. I think I agree with @Mr Moustache that speakers/amp would be my top priority. I should mention that user-friendly is important to me. I want as close to a plug and play system that is higher end than the basic one I have now, if that makes sense. That's part of the reason I went for the Rega in the first place. It was also a huge upgrade from my previous AT platter. I found the box for the cartridge upgrade. It is a Sumiko Olympia.

If one already owned a phono stage I’d say save 100 and get the 100-C when it launches. Same turntable minus the built in phono. I’d keep the AT VM95 cartridge but update the stylus to the ML.
I was thinking it’d be much cheaper but the 100c’s price converts to $1088 US. So only $100 more for the built in pre-amp and needle which will go into a drawer as a backup, haha.

I was thinking it’d be much cheaper but the 100c’s price converts to $1088 US. So only $100 more for the built in pre-amp and needle which will go into a drawer as a backup, haha.

I think turntable lab were advertising it at $999 when they had it up as a future product but they seem to have pulled it from their site now. It think it’s £100 less for the one on Amazon U.K. as opposed to buying the 1500c in a U.K. hifi store. I suppose part of my reticence with the 1500c is that I hate the red so I’m almost considering it to be coming without a cartridge lol.

I think turntable lab were advertising it at $999 when they had it up as a future product but they seem to have pulled it from their site now. It think it’s £100 less for the one on Amazon U.K. as opposed to buying the 1500c in a U.K. hifi store. I suppose part of my reticence with the 1500c is that I hate the red so I’m almost considering it to be coming without a cartridge lol.
I wish they had offered the 1500C with the VM95E instead.

I wish they had offered the 1500C with the VM95E instead.

I think even then I’d still buy the 100c just because I don’t need to pay for a preamp I already have but equally I certainly wouldn’t begrudge £100 just to get the thing in the door in a period of shortage like now.

I think even then I’d still buy the 100c just because I don’t need to pay for a preamp I already have but equally I certainly wouldn’t begrudge £100 just to get the thing in the door in a period of shortage like now.
Period of shortage- that’s a nice way of saying I wonder if my G will ever show up. 🙄

Period of shortage- that’s a nice way of saying I wonder if my G will ever show up. 🙄

At least you’ve still got an excellent table while you’re waiting! The mixture of demand, parts supply and labour shortage because of covid really has heated up the hifi market!

Last edited:
Back