Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So this is a new one, got a replacement Audioquest gold plated anti static brush and it's actually scratching the record. I tested on a cheap record first but I can hear it scratching and see the actual brush marks etched into the vinyl. Anyone ever seen this before with this brush? My first one was fine.

So this is a new one, got a replacement Audioquest gold plated anti static brush and it's actually scratching the record. I tested on a cheap record first but I can hear it scratching and see the actual brush marks etched into the vinyl. Anyone ever seen this before with this brush? My first one was fine.

2 thoughts:

1. Shit that’s awful sorry; and
2. Why is a brush gold plated? What difference does that make to a brush?

I use to use the AQ, Get the Hunt ETA Mk 6 brush $30 usd, its the best one in my experience! One of shops in YYZ should have it.

Last edited:
I think I've had it happen once, three times at most. I think what happens is that a particularly angry piece of dust gets caught between the record and the brush. Apply a smidge too much pressure and…

If I've ever had it actually nuke a record it was only once, and I'm not sure that it did. Paper inners seem more likely to blame in that instance.

EDIT: I find it useful to use an air canister to blow dust off those brushes once in a while.

2 thoughts:

1. Shit that’s awful sorry; and
2. Why is a brush gold plated? What difference does that make to a brush?
It's just part of the handle, some anti static function..
I think I've had it happen once, three times at most. I think what happens is that a particularly angry piece of dust gets caught between the record and the brush. Apply a smidge too much pressure and…

If I've ever had it actually nuke a record it was only once, and I'm not sure that it did. Paper inners seem more likely to blame in that instance.
It's not dust. I can literally hear this thing squealing as it runs across the vinyl and I can see the entire brush strokes etched into the previously clean record. It's brand new out of the package, exact same model as my previous brush.

Some of you are probably aware that @scotthilk purchased a new system. As he was getting a new turntable and cartridge, I recommended he contact Upscale Audio. They will install and align the cartridge free of charge as a customer service.

A bit ago, I received a text from Scott. Kat (the Analog Manager) provided picture proof of a stellar setup and alignment. I couldn’t have done it any better. I wholeheartedly recommend this service for those who may be shopping for brands that they carry.

Places like Upscale that go the extra mile deserve our business. And Kat obviously knows her stuff forwards and backwards.

I use to use the AQ, Get the Hunt ETA Mk 6 brush $30 usd, its the best one in my experience! One of shops in YYZ should have it.
I’m inclined to dislike AQ because much of what they say about their products is unsubstantiated BS, but this one is a surprise. Hard to see how anyone can screw up a record brush. My sympathies regarding your plight. I use a Record Doctor brush and have had no problems.

Some of you are probably aware that @scotthilk purchased a new system. As he was getting a new turntable and cartridge, I recommended he contact Upscale Audio. They will install and align the cartridge free of charge as a customer service.

A bit ago, I received a text from Scott. Kat (the Analog Manager) provided picture proof of a stellar setup and alignment. I couldn’t have done it any better. I wholeheartedly recommend this service for those who may be shopping for brands that they carry.

Places like Upscale that go the extra mile deserve our business. And Kat obviously knows her stuff forwards and backwards.
Great advice as usual. I got my Grado from my local dealer (if you have one available) who included a pro setup at no charge. Helped two great American companies.

Hi all—

I’ve asked this before, but I’m looking to upgrade my system in the next couple of years but I’m not sure where to start. What I have now is pretty basic but sounds good to me. Rega P1 table and Audioengine A5+ speakers. I know very little how about equipment but Im wondering where I should go next in terms of upgrades. Maybe I could start saving for whatever next piece would make sense. Any ideas?

Hi all—

I’ve asked this before, but I’m looking to upgrade my system in the next couple of years but I’m not sure where to start. What I have now is pretty basic but sounds good to me. Rega P1 table and Audioengine A5+ speakers. I know very little how about equipment but Im wondering where I should go next in terms of upgrades. Maybe I could start saving for whatever next piece would make sense. Any ideas?
I’d start with an amplifier and passive speakers.

Hi all—

It will depend on your budget, but if you like your "minimalist" setup, you could replace the A5 with true active speakers. You will need a preamp as well though.

It will depend on your budget, but if you like your "minimalist" setup, you could replace the A5 with true active speakers. You will need a preamp as well though.
yah, need to know what your looking to spend then the guys can give you some solid options. NAD, Marantz, Wharfedale, ELAC are popular here.

I’d start with an amplifier and passive speakers.

yah, need to know what your looking to spend then the guys can give you some solid options. NAD, Marantz, Wharfedale, ELAC are popular here.

Thanks. I do like my minimalist setup as I have limited space. Maybe if I upgrade I can use these speakers for a different setup. I should mention I have a project preamp as part of the set-up as well. What are "true active speakers"? I'm not a big gear guy, but I would like to have a great-sounding set-up. I am wondering if there are steps I could take so I wouldn't need to upgrade at once.

In terms of budget, I honestly am not sure what the price ranges are so this kind of gear. I am not looking to spend tens of thousands but maybe $1-3k overall. Would that even make an upgrade worth it?

Thanks. I do like my minimalist setup as I have limited space. Maybe if I upgrade I can use these speakers for a different setup. I should mention I have a project preamp as part of the set-up as well. What are "true active speakers"? I'm not a big gear guy, but I would like to have a great-sounding set-up. I am wondering if there are steps I could take so I wouldn't need to upgrade at once.

In terms of budget, I honestly am not sure what the price ranges are so this kind of gear. I am not looking to spend tens of thousands but maybe $1-3k overall. Would that even make an upgrade worth it?

Yeah you can get a pretty substantial upgrade there. In fact you could, and I probably would, upgrade everything and have a really sweet sounding system towards the mid/higher end of that budget.

I’m all for upgrading speakers and amps first, but passive is not the only upgrade play.

However, I do think passive speakers and separate amp is the best long term path to incremental improvement.

Yeah you can get a pretty substantial upgrade there. In fact you could, and I probably would, upgrade everything and have a really sweet sounding system towards the mid/higher end of that budget.

Oh good, there are so many options out there that it is very confusing for me. I'm not a very technical person, so I would lean towards a more user-friendly setup rather than something more complicated that may sound better. I've had the rega for 2 years now, not sure I want to upgrade that right away. We are hoping to move into a house soon (damn you, LA housing prices) and if there is room for a second setup maybe I will keep this and add another.

I’m all for upgrading speakers and amps first, but passive is not the only upgrade play.

However, I do think passive speakers and separate amp is the best long term path to incremental improvement.

So the Audioengine A5+ are not active?

To follow on I think you’d have a pretty big jump with:

Fluance RT85 $500
Darlington MM6 phono stage $329
I’ll let someone else take the amp
Wharfedale Lintons with stand $1500; or
Wharfedale Dentons MD have open box set of 85 for $699 but 80s often new at $599. Are bookshelves so may need to factor in stands.

I’m sure others will give you their views too and you’ll be able to build a picture.

Last edited:
Oh good, there are so many options out there that it is very confusing for me. I'm not a very technical person, so I would lean towards a more user-friendly setup rather than something more complicated that may sound better. I've had the rega for 2 years now, not sure I want to upgrade that right away. We are hoping to move into a house soon (damn you, LA housing prices) and if there is room for a second setup maybe I will keep this and add another.

Thats fair but the Rega would soon become a limiting factor if the rest of the gear improved. It doesn’t have any adjustment offer any flexibility for changing the cartridge on it to upgrade its sound to keep up. The reason I mentioned the fluance is that it offers a better cartridge out the box and is quite easy to change cartridges on with the removable headshell.

A passive speaker and amp is no more complicated than a set of active speakers to use and is barely so to set up and it offers a lot of advantages in terms of sound and flexibility.

Back