Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to spend around $1000-1100 on a new turntable and cartridge. I just bought the excellent Darlington Labs MM-6 so I'm set as far as that is concerned. What would everyone recommend?

I had about the same budget and was considering the above Technics (which seems to be an excellent table). After reviewing and comparing I eventually went with the Pioneer-PLX-1000 which ticked all the boxes of the Technics at a cheaper price, and was built a lot sturdier in my opinion. I used the price difference to buy a Grado Opus3 with a Jelco headshell.

Now Im still waiting for the headshell and havent gotten any listening time on it yet, but for the price and build quality you should really consider the Pioneer.

I also have the PLX-1000 with an azimuth adjustable Jelco HS-25 headshell. For the money, it’s definitely a contender versus the Technics. The Jelco headshells are getting harder to find as new since Jelco stopped production last year.

To stay under $1000, you’ll need a cartridge below $300 as the PLX-1000 goes for $700. I use the $240 Ortofon 2M Blue and have been pretty happy with it. The Jelco headshell is about $60, if you can find it. Pre-mounted on an Ortofon SH-4 headshell, you can find the 2M Blue for $270, but the SH-4 is not azimuth adjustable, like the headshell included with the PLX-1000.

For something a bit above $300, the Nagoaka MP-150 is priced at $323 on Amazon today; it’s a widely well-regarded MM cartridge. The MP-150H is going for $406 today, pre-mounted on a Nagaoka headshell. I would have purchased a Nagaoka MP-110 or MP-150 if I had not owned the 2M Blue when I bought the PLX-1000.

My next upgrade from the 2M Blue will likely be the Hana EH at $475; a high-output moving coil (MC) cartridge. I have the Hana SL on my VPI turntable and I really like it.
Another vote for the PLX-100 but this time with a Grado Gold3 cart and the Jelco headshell. That should Keep you under 1100, especially if you shop around on the PLX and grab one on sale or slightly used.

Anyone have experience with experience with external cooling for your equipment, ie fans? I picked up these for pretty cheap, the NAD was getting really hot after just minutes of use, and I tend to fret about that kind of stuff. So far I like these, they sound almost dead quiet on the max setting, and silent on anything below that. I'm interested to see the results. Edit: Don't mind the clutter on top of the amp, I was moving stuff around lol
IMG_1347.JPG

Anyone have experience with experience with external cooling for your equipment, ie fans? I picked up these for pretty cheap, the NAD was getting really hot after just minutes of use, and I tend to fret about that kind of stuff. So far I like these, they sound almost dead quiet on the max setting, and silent on anything below that. I'm interested to see the results. Edit: Don't mind the clutter on top of the amp, I was moving stuff around lol
View attachment 105195
We have the same Kallax color, good choice

View attachment 105195

That should not be nessescary tbh unless you have a bad mismatch/load driving your speakers or your NAD has a issue inside. Was this a used unit ? If so ask the previous owner is there was heat issue. Is Elac a pretty normal efficiency speaker ? Units like the NAD are designed for normal heat dissipation and convection cooling. It might be good to have a ceiling or stand fan on rotate in the room and use logic if the room is really hot. What I would do is unplug the unit and allow the electicity to discharge, carefully open up the top and blow out the dust and dirt with canned or compressed air.

Last edited:
View attachment 105195
I own two NAD amps and a preamp and have not encountered overheating problems with with any unit. I do agree about blowing it out with compressed air and would consider if the unit could measured with an IR thermometer. I blow out my units with air on one side and put a vacuum cleaner on the other side to suck up dust.

NAD units do typically have a thermal cutoff circuit, so if it is clean and not cutting off, the heat should not be a problem.

Last edited:
View attachment 105195
The NAD runs warm, but fear not, it's not overheating. For all the time I owned it, its never tripped the circuit because it was getting too hot. Keep in mind this is a beast of an amp, it's going to let off some heat ;)

Should be noted that PLX-1000's go for $500 used usually and are on sale ALL THE TIME. Theres a good chance your local guitar center has one or two of them.

and I bought my Jelco HS-20 from USAHIFI for $65, now they're selling them for #75 but I might pick one up just to stock, considering the supply is dwindling and they aren't making any more.
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered a pair so I’ve got a couple on hand when the new table shows up- one for a stereo cartridge- one for mono.

I'm sure this is a question that's been asked a million times by now, but what are good powered bookshelf speakers? The {admittedly not great} speakers I have been using are just dead now. I don't really know anything about speakers so I'm not even sure what price range to limit myself to but whatever would be considered “better than the cheapest, but not expensive.”

EDIT: I guess I have what I can only assume to be a cheap amplifier/receiver, though it's not hooked up and I've never really used it, so I guess they don't even need to be powered.

I'm sure this is a question that's been asked a million times by now, but what are good powered bookshelf speakers? The {admittedly not great} speakers I have been using are just dead now. I don't really know anything about speakers so I'm not even sure what price range to limit myself to but whatever would be considered “better than the cheapest, but not expensive.”

EDIT: I guess I have what I can only assume to be a cheap amplifier/receiver, though it's not hooked up and I've never really used it, so I guess they don't even need to be powered.

If you have an amp that’s any kind of usable and that sounds fine I’d go passive. You’ll get more for whatever you deem your budget to be and it gives scope to improve with a better amp for a boost if that’s ever a thing you want to do. Having an idea of money and what the amp is would help narrow it down though for matching to it and because there are so many good options and it’s really what you want to spend that will determine which is best for you.

Last edited:
If you have an amp that’s any kind of usable and that sounds fine I’d go passive. You’ll get more for whatever you deem your budget to be and it gives scope to improve with a better amp for a boost if that’s ever a thing you want to do. Having an idea of money and what the amp is would help narrow it down though for marching to it and because there are so many good options and it’s really what you want to spend that will determine which is best for you.
Kenwood KR-A3060. I got it from family because no-one else wanted it and I've not hooked it up in years, should try that tonight or tomorrow. And I guess I'd like to spend no more than $100-$150.

If you have an amp that’s any kind of usable and that sounds fine I’d go passive. You’ll get more for whatever you deem your budget to be and it gives scope to improve with a better amp for a boost if that’s ever a thing you want to do. Having an idea of money and what the amp is would help narrow it down though for matching to it and because there are so many good options and it’s really what you want to spend that will determine which is best for you.
Kenwood KR-A3060. I got it from family because no-one else wanted it and I've not hooked it up in years, should try that tonight or tomorrow. And I guess I'd like to spend no more than $100-$150.
I agree with @Joe Mac ; at that price point, go passive and put the $100 towards better speakers. It would be a gamble to find something better used at that price. The Wharfedale Diamond speakers are pretty well established around this price.

The JBL is a bit more expensive unless caught on sale:

Last edited:

I agree with @Joe Mac ; at that price point, go passive and put the $100 towards better speakers. It would be a gamble to find something better used at that price. The Wharfedale Diamond speakers are pretty well established around this price point.

Yeah provided you can get something that will play ball with the 50W through 8 ohms from the receiver I’d be looking at used or B Stock of something like those Wharfedale’s or maybe something through Elac’s B Stock sales, the debut 5.2 can be around there price wise for B stock if you have enough power to drive them coming from the receiver.

Last edited:
I agree with @Joe Mac ; at that price point, go passive and put the $100 towards better speakers. It would be a gamble to find something better used at that price. The Wharfedale Diamond speakers are pretty well established around this price.

The JBL is a bit more expensive unless caught on sale:

Oh boy, that slightly bleary and nervous-energy feeling of equipment searching. Still, thanks for the links, I think that site'll be helpful. Already seem to be leaning towards the Wharfdales but I'd be suprised if I spent less than a week on this.

Yeah provided you can get something that will play ball with the 50W through 8 ohms from the receiver I’d be looking at used or B Stock of something like those Wharfedale’s or maybe something through Elac’s B Stock sales, the debut 5.2 can be around there price wise for B stock if you have enough power to drive them coming from the receiver.

Uhhh maybe basic but could you elaborate on this? So far as I can tell, you and Angsty are telling me to look for used or on-sale versions of speakers in the $200-300 range, or am I being oblivious? And where would be a good place to look for these, just eBay, or is this a common thing for speaker retailers?

Oh boy, that slightly bleary and nervous-energy feeling of equipment searching. Still, thanks for the links, I think that site'll be helpful. Already seem to be leaning towards the Wharfdales but I'd be suprised if I spent less than a week on this.

Uhhh maybe basic but could you elaborate on this? So far as I can tell, you and Angsty are telling me to look for used or on-sale versions of speakers in the $200-300 range, or am I being oblivious? And where would be a good place to look for these, just eBay, or is this a common thing for speaker retailers?

Elac do their own b stock sales if you google. I think the 5.2s are a little over $150 when they have them available. Also the bigger stores will sell open box too. Stores will also have used models that were part exchanged into them for upgrades. But yes also places like hifi shark and eBay are definitely resources to comb through!

Most likely someone here will find them for you and post a link!

HhHhHhHhHh there's a pair of the Wharfedale 220s on eBay for $100. I feel like that would be impulsive but at the same time…

HhHhHhHhHh there's a pair of the Wharfedale 220s on eBay for $100. I feel like that would be impulsive but at the same time…

I don't know, that's a pretty good deal and he's accepting offers, so you can pretty much wipe out shipping.

I bought most of my audio as open box from MD, and they are really like new.
Edit: shoot, it’s gone already
FECK

EDIT: I didn't even realize you had linked to Music Direct because the eBay link is also already gone. If it can happen twice within an hour then I imagine deals like this can't be uncommon but by this point I'm just going to go for the first pair of the Wharfedale 220s I see in the $100 to $150 range {doing dillegence, of course}, as soon as I make sure the amp works.

EDIT2: I do wonder if us talking about us hear has made someone in the shadows pursue them.

Last edited:
Back