Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

It arrived a little early actually, my Jelco headshell wont be here till early next week, so it's currently headshell-less and will just be something pretty to look at until then.
View attachment 104635

I was playing around a bit with the controls a bit, and I can already tell I love direct drive tables. Especially coming from a U-turn!

Also the stock feet are as crap as people say...just cheap plastic with felt at the bottom and a ball joint. I went ahead and replaced them and already it's preforming better in my diy isolation test (basiclly just setting dominoes on the platter and seeing what I can do before they fall).
Don't forget to grab the additional arm weight, it's usually stuck in the foam padding covered by a piece of tape. ;)

I had some amazon credit and decided to take a flyer on this crazy looking music hall mat

Amazon product ASIN B004JO79RK
Will report back.
I ran a raised-dot mat similar to that for awhile and it was fine - I ditched it because it didn’t play nice with the clamp, but looks like that one you picked out has a raised label area that would counter that issue.

Last night I moved the belt on my u-turn over to the 45RPM wheel to check my Melvins LP for the mispress error (which it has) and when I moved it back to 33....it wouldn't stay on, stretched out and kept falling off. Had to put it in the fridge overnight to get it to where it should be. Someone recommend a decent table that allows me to switch between 33/45 and won't have this nonsense. Bonus for auto-stop or auto-lift.

Fluance has auto stop. Its part of the reason I chose the rt-85

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to spend around $1000-1100 on a new turntable and cartridge. I just bought the excellent Darlington Labs MM-6 so I'm set as far as that is concerned. What would everyone recommend?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to spend around $1000-1100 on a new turntable and cartridge. I just bought the excellent Darlington Labs MM-6 so I'm set as far as that is concerned. What would everyone recommend?

At that budget my temptation would be wait for this to come into stock and buy the VM95ML stylus to do an immediate swap from the stock E.

Hi Everyone,

I had about the same budget and was considering the above Technics (which seems to be an excellent table). After reviewing and comparing I eventually went with the Pioneer-PLX-1000 which ticked all the boxes of the Technics at a cheaper price, and was built a lot sturdier in my opinion. I used the price difference to buy a Grado Opus3 with a Jelco headshell.

Now Im still waiting for the headshell and havent gotten any listening time on it yet, but for the price and build quality you should really consider the Pioneer.

At that budget my temptation would be wait for this to come into stock and buy the VM95ML stylus to do an immediate swap from the stock E.

I had about the same budget and was considering the above Technics (which seems to be an excellent table). After reviewing and comparing I eventually went with the Pioneer-PLX-1000 which ticked all the boxes of the Technics at a cheaper price, and was built a lot sturdier in my opinion. I used the price difference to buy a Grado Opus3 with a Jelco headshell.

Now Im still waiting for the headshell and havent gotten any listening time on it yet, but for the price and build quality you should really consider the Pioneer.
Yeah, I've sort of been eyeing those two products for a while. Interesting to hear about the build quality of the Pioneer in particular.

Yeah, I've sort of been eyeing those two products for a while. Interesting to hear about the build quality of the Pioneer in particular.
It's 30lbs and is built like a tank. Weak spot is the plastic feet but I'm trying out a mnpctech stainless steel pair and they're great. It uses almost the same parts as a Technics 1200, so its incredibly customizable. Isolation is excellent.

If you don't NEED compact, I would go with a better amp, something like the Denon PMA-600NE or Onkyo TX-8140..........there's always the NAD D-3020 if you lack space, but I think someone around here had one and can probably chime in. It also depends on the bells and whistles you want to retain with the new amp ;)
@Memo, I have a NAD D 3020 V2 if you're considering it and have any questions.

I had some amazon credit and decided to take a flyer on this crazy looking music hall mat

Amazon product ASIN B004JO79RK
Will report back.
This arrived and its a lot thinner than expected. I know for the PLX1000 im looking for something thicker, could I use this mat on top of the stock rubber one? If not i'll just return it and get something thicker.

What mat do you guys use and like? Setting up my PLX-1000 and I can already tell this rubber mat is gonna attract a ton of stray cat hair and be a pain to get off, and i've never been much of a fan of felt mats.
Another vote for Funk. I have Achromats on both of my tables. They come in 3mm and 5mm sizes.

I’ve had felt (way to much static here in CO), cork, and the Funks. Of the three I much preferred the bubbly plastic.

I

I might have to pick up one of these…I’m still having a slight noise in my speakers when no audio is going through.
By any chance do you have any networked gear attached to your system?

I and others have found some shielded Ethernet cables, even if they are attached to a streamer that’s then attached to the preamp/receiver/integrated, can cause a noise like a ground loop. Swapping out with a cheap cable without shielding solved the problem.

By any chance do you have any networked gear attached to your system?

I and others have found some shielded Ethernet cables, even if they are attached to a streamer that’s then attached to the preamp/receiver/integrated, can cause a noise like a ground loop. Swapping out with a cheap cable without shielding solved the problem.
My desktop is hooked up to the system via USB but desktop isn’t connected via Ethernet.

I also have the PLX-1000 with an azimuth adjustable Jelco HS-25 headshell. For the money, it’s definitely a contender versus the Technics. The Jelco headshells are getting harder to find as new since Jelco stopped production last year.

To stay under $1000, you’ll need a cartridge below $300 as the PLX-1000 goes for $700. I use the $240 Ortofon 2M Blue and have been pretty happy with it. The Jelco headshell is about $60, if you can find it. Pre-mounted on an Ortofon SH-4 headshell, you can find the 2M Blue for $270, but the SH-4 is not azimuth adjustable, like the headshell included with the PLX-1000.

For something a bit above $300, the Nagoaka MP-150 is priced at $323 on Amazon today; it’s a widely well-regarded MM cartridge. The MP-150H is going for $406 today, pre-mounted on a Nagaoka headshell. I would have purchased a Nagaoka MP-110 or MP-150 if I had not owned the 2M Blue when I bought the PLX-1000.

My next upgrade from the 2M Blue will likely be the Hana EH at $475; a high-output moving coil (MC) cartridge. I have the Hana SL on my VPI turntable and I really like it.

I also have the PLX-1000 with an azimuth adjustable Jelco HS-25 headshell. For the money, it’s definitely a contender versus the Technics. The Jelco headshells are getting harder to find as new since Jelco stopped production last year.

To stay under $1000, you’ll need a cartridge below $300 as the PLX-1000 goes for $700. I use the $240 Ortofon 2M Blue and have been pretty happy with it. The Jelco headshell is about $60, if you can find it. Pre-mounted on an Ortofon SH-4 headshell, you can find the 2M Blue for $270, but the SH-4 is not azimuth adjustable, like the headshell included with the PLX-1000.
Should be noted that PLX-1000's go for $500 used usually and are on sale ALL THE TIME. Theres a good chance your local guitar center has one or two of them.

and I bought my Jelco HS-20 from USAHIFI for $65, now they're selling them for #75 but I might pick one up just to stock, considering the supply is dwindling and they aren't making any more.

Back