Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

If I remember correctly, the sound is only present on any inputs that I put my phono stage through. USB in didn't seem to have it and it wasn't present on any other inputs. I'll have to revisit it though. Gave up last time since my fridge and overhead lights were on the same circuit so I chalked it up to that.

That absolutely sounds like your turntable isn’t properly grounded and is passing hum down and not like a ground loop. I’d play with where and how you ground your turntable and I’d bet that you can solve it!

Never seen this before, but my Panamax today shut everything off and it seems to say there's a brown out! The voltage is down to 102 and it's turned off my devices. Makes sense since it has been crazy hot here, but hopefully it comes back on and works and the Panamax isn't broken.
It isn’t broken. It’s designed to do that. Under voltage is detrimental to electronics.

Still can't entirely figure out what it is. I figured in my old apartment it was because mostly everything was on the same circuit since it was an older building. But my new place shouldn't have had that issue. Replacing the power cord on my amp might be the first step but I have things running through the Panamax and the sound didn't go away! I'll troubleshoot some more now that I'm in a new spot.
Are you by any chance running a cable tv box through your system? I used to have a ground loop from that. You can verify by unplugging the coax cable from the wall. You can get an in-line filter from Amazon that will solve the issue.

It isn’t broken. It’s designed to do that. Under voltage is detrimental to electronics.
Yep the only thing that made me worry it was broken was that some people reported that happening when their power was fine and said it can be something faulty that breaks occasionally. Makes sense that it did that right now considering the heat and power situation.

Are you by any chance running a cable tv box through your system? I used to have a ground loop from that. You can verify by unplugging the coax cable from the wall. You can get an in-line filter from Amazon that will solve the issue.
No cable box in the chain. But I’ll troubleshoot it more after next week!

Hi all,

I'm back with a request and a question...
I currently have a Project Debut Carbon hooked up to a Sherwood RX-4109 Stereo Receiver which is the connected to Elac speakers.
I'm looking to upgrade that Sherwood Stereo Receiver to maybe something more compact or more efficient. Wanting something between $250 - $500

Hi all,

I'm back with a request and a question...
I currently have a Project Debut Carbon hooked up to a Sherwood RX-4109 Stereo Receiver which is the connected to Elac speakers.
I'm looking to upgrade that Sherwood Stereo Receiver to maybe something more compact or more efficient. Wanting something between $250 - $500
If you don't NEED compact, I would go with a better amp, something like the Denon PMA-600NE or Onkyo TX-8140..........there's always the NAD D-3020 if you lack space, but I think someone around here had one and can probably chime in. It also depends on the bells and whistles you want to retain with the new amp ;)

What mat do you guys use and like? Setting up my PLX-1000 and I can already tell this rubber mat is gonna attract a ton of stray cat hair and be a pain to get off, and i've never been much of a fan of felt mats.

What mat do you guys use and like? Setting up my PLX-1000 and I can already tell this rubber mat is gonna attract a ton of stray cat hair and be a pain to get off, and i've never been much of a fan of felt mats.
You could use a lint roller to remove cat hair.

I plan to buy a Herbie’s Way Excellent II mat when my Technics arrives. No experience with it yet though.

We need pictures! Congrats!

You could use a lint roller to remove cat hair.

I plan to buy a Herbie’s Way Excellent II mat when my Technics arrives. No experience with it yet though.

We need pictures! Congrats!
It arrived a little early actually, my Jelco headshell wont be here till early next week, so it's currently headshell-less and will just be something pretty to look at until then.
IMG_1331.JPG

I was playing around a bit with the controls a bit, and I can already tell I love direct drive tables. Especially coming from a U-turn!

Also the stock feet are as crap as people say...just cheap plastic with felt at the bottom and a ball joint. I went ahead and replaced them and already it's preforming better in my diy isolation test (basiclly just setting dominoes on the platter and seeing what I can do before they fall).

I had felt mats for years but then I purchased a nice cork mat from TTL with some Keith Haring Art on it and I love it.

I don’t think they have this version in stock any more but they have other cork mats for around $20.

It arrived a little early actually, my Jelco headshell wont be here till early next week, so it's currently headshell-less and will just be something pretty to look at until then.
View attachment 104635

I was playing around a bit with the controls a bit, and I can already tell I love direct drive tables. Especially coming from a U-turn!

Also the stock feet are as crap as people say...just cheap plastic with felt at the bottom and a ball joint. I went ahead and replaced them and already it's preforming better in my diy isolation test (basiclly just setting dominoes on the platter and seeing what I can do before they fall).
I had this cork/rubber mat on mine when I had it and liked it. The center in the pic is the brand label that comes right off.

View attachment 104635

Make sure when you set it up to put the auxiliary weight on that screws in at the end of the arm tube behind the counterweight. This will require positioning the counterweight farther towards the piviot point of the arm (more forward) which is desirable for better tracking.

You can use a small bubble level to set azimuth. Place it on top of the headshell. My guess is it will be off (mine was) but the Jelco headshell is adjustable with the included Allen wrench. You can do it before installing the cartridge with the arm locked into its rest.

To set anti skate, I use this method. It doesn’t matter what the numbers in the dial say. Hanpin built tables are notoriously off anyway.

What cartridge will you put on it?

Just make sure what you get is thick or you’re gonna be fighting VTA issues. I use a thick pure cork mat on mine.

Back