Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Would I need to place this on top of my kallax or can i place it behind on the ground?
I guess you could place it behind on the ground technically. It'll probably get pretty grody back there over time, but I don't see any technical reason why you couldn't do that.

hi friends,

I've been on a vinyl diet to help raise money for a new system. I'm currently rocking my college set-up of LP-60 to an mid-2010's sony receiver. not great but it got the job done for 4 years. At this point i've spent way too much on vinyl to still have this system

My action plan right now is upgrading to a Pro-Ject ESprit SB->NAD 3020V2-> Q Acoustics 3050i's.

my main goal is to be able to listen to my records & TV through the same system, at separate times obviously (apartment is small-ish).

does anyone for see me running into any issues with this set-up? i am a noob, please be gentle.

hi friends,

I've been on a vinyl diet to help raise money for a new system. I'm currently rocking my college set-up of LP-60 to an mid-2010's sony receiver. not great but it got the job done for 4 years. At this point i've spent way too much on vinyl to still have this system

My action plan right now is upgrading to a Pro-Ject ESprit SB->NAD 3020V2-> Q Acoustics 3050i's.

my main goal is to be able to listen to my records & TV through the same system, at separate times obviously (apartment is small-ish).

does anyone for see me running into any issues with this set-up? i am a noob, please be gentle.

I know that not everyone loves that NAD 3020. The thought on here would seem to be to instead go for either the C 316 or, even better if you can stretch to it, the C 326 and an outboard phono like the Vincent Pho 8 or Mofi StudioPhono.

I have that table, have had it for 6 years, and love it. If I was based in the US I’d potentially be very tempted by the Fluance RT85 as an a very good alternative at a lower price point.

hi friends,

So you'd still be running all this through your mid-2010's Sony receiver?

I think the NAD 3020 D was what he was proposing to replace the Sony?

Chose the NAD3020 as 1st option mostly for it's $$ & optical-input, so yes.

I'll explore the C328, but would I need an outboard phono amp from the get-go? or could I add that to my "upgrade later" list

I'll explore the C328, but would I need an outboard phono amp from the get-go? or could I add that to my "upgrade later" list

The 328 replaced the old 326 I was on about I think? The 326 didn’t have an outboard so you’d have needed one from the go there. Not sure about the 328. I’ll have a look. It doesn’t have an optional either tbh, but I agree with @HiFi Guy on avoiding built in DACS.

Ah so the 328 isn’t a replacement for the 326 per se looking at it. Looks like a completely different amp. It does have a phono stage and a dac built in looking on NADs site but I don’t know enough of it to say whether it’s any good or not.

exactly, i've been doing that to connect my soundbar, & was thinking i could do the same with the Q.

Here’s where I throw a curveball then...

Is your sound bar any good? Do you like how it makes your tv sound?

If yes just hear me out here.

TV/Movies and music have very different sound profiles and demand different things from amps. By fitting both in the one system you are inevitably making comprises on both.

If it’s ok why not keep using the sound bar and focus the upgrades on getting an awesome system fully focused on your records and that will make them sound as good as you can for your budget?

Ah so the 328 isn’t a replacement for the 326 per se looking at it. Looks like a completely different amp. It does have a phono stage and a dac built in looking on NADs site but I don’t know enough of it to say whether it’s any good or not.

yeah, I'm kinda going into this fully aware that avoiding built in's are a golden rule. i just don't know a lot about other options that provide the same level of integration without the built in DAC

Here’s where I throw a curveball then...

Is your sound bar any good? Do you like how it makes your tv sound?

If yes just hear me out here.

TV/Movies and music have very different sound profiles and demand different things from amps. By fitting both in the one system you are inevitably making comprises on both.

If it’s ok why not keep using the sound bar and focus the upgrades on getting an awesome system fully focused on your records and that will make them sound as good as you can for your budget?

It's ok, room for improvement

if we were ignoring the TV aspect, what would you recommend?

yeah, I'm kinda going into this fully aware that avoiding built in's are a golden rule. i just don't know a lot about other options that provide the same level of integration without the built in DAC

Avoiding ones built in to your turntable is a definite rule. There are amps with decent built in ones but a stand alone is always going to sound better...

It's ok, room for improvement

if we were ignoring the TV aspect, what would you recommend?

Fluance RT85/Project Esprit -> pho 8 or studio phono phono stage if you can fit it in the budget -> NAD316 or 326 depending on the last step -> don’t know enough about speakers but the ones you’ve picked review well.

Fluance RT85/Project Esprit -> pho 8 or studio phono phono stage if you can fit it in the budget -> NAD316 or 326 depending on the last step -> don’t know enough about speakers but the ones you’ve picked review well.

so 316 if i skip the phono, 326 if I get a pho 8/mofi phono?

Back