Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

One for @Ed Selley if he’s around.

Was reading your review of the Technics SL1500C and am tempted to pick one up in favour of my LP12 (Ortofon 2M Bronze, Jelco SA-750 DB arm, Origin Live Advanced DC motor kit).

I’ve never fully taken to the LP12 despite it being a long-term target - I got if for an ok price. It does sound really good, and tracks really well, but has two things that really bug me; motor noise and an audible hum from the cartridge.

Is the SL1500C quiet in operation?

One for @Ed Selley if he’s around.

Was reading your review of the Technics SL1500C and am tempted to pick one up in favour of my LP12 (Ortofon 2M Bronze, Jelco SA-750 DB arm, Origin Live Advanced DC motor kit).

I’ve never fully taken to the LP12 despite it being a long-term target - I got if for an ok price. It does sound really good, and tracks really well, but has two things that really bug me; motor noise and an audible hum from the cartridge.

Is the SL1500C quiet in operation?
This isn't Ed, but it's on topic.

So in a quick escalation I had a look on Gumtree and someone local was selling an SL1210MK2. Turns out it was someone I know. It's now home and set up with the Ortofon 2M Bronze on and sounds great. To be honest the LP12 is likely to be up on Gumtree soon.
Out of interest, what you thinking price-wise for that LP12?

Need an Amplifier cause my receiver is on the fritz. I have Klipsch R-15M speakers if thats info thats needed. I don't have a clue on what to get. Is a Lepy 2020A a good choice?

@Joe Mac and @HiFi Guy, Thanks for the advice a couple months back regarding speaker and amp upgrade. Went for the Elac Debut 2.0 f5.2 and holding off on upgrading from my sony avr so hopefully I can appreciate the sonic change when I add a stereo amp.
@displayname I'm sure you gave your advice as well I know you did last winter when I asked about table and preamp suggestions thank you as well!

Is my recollection correct regarding stereo amp suggestions at or around the $400 usd price point. I believe @Joe Mac suggested the NAD 316BEE. The rest of my setup is orbit custom w/Grado Black, Vincent Pho-8, ELAC Debut 2.0 F5.2

Last edited:
Is my recollection correct regarding stereo amp suggestions at or around the $400 usd price point. I believe @Joe Mac suggested the NAD 316BEE.

Do I remember right that you got a Pho-8 pre amp? If you did I’d look at the 326BEE if you can find any remaining stock.

Initial searches have not led me to any new units which I would prefer over used, if I continue to not find it what would you suggest.

That’s a pity. It’s probably a better bang for buck unit as it doesn’t actually have a phono stage built in which plays into your hands as you already have an external one. Probably the 316 for your budget then.

That’s a pity. It’s probably a better bang for buck unit as it doesn’t actually have a phono stage built in which plays into your hands as you already have an external one. Probably the 316 for your budget then.
I figured that was why you suggested that as I wont be using the built in phono stage.

I figured that was why you suggested that as I wont be using the built in phono stage.
Just a random comment on the NAD, if you're looking for a 326BEE and you find a used one in good condition and at a good price, you may want to consider it and then just take it in for a tune-up. It'll run you about $100-150, but they'll clean all the contacts, dials, etc... and it should be like new. That is a great amp, I'm a big fan. I have a NAD C375BEE that I bought a few years ago that I just love and will be going into my second system. Again, might be worth the trouble for the right one at the right price ;)

Last edited:
Just a random comment on the NAD, if you're looking for a 326BEE and you find a used one in good condition and at a good price, you may want to consider it and then just take it in for a tune-up. It'll run you about $100-150, but they'll clean all the contacts, dials, etc... and it should be like new. That is a great amp, I'm a big fan. I have a NAD C375BEE that I bought a few years ago that I just love and will be going into my second system. Again, might be worth the trouble for the right one at the right price ;)
I am not inherently opposed to buying used as even a new item can be faulty but ideally I would like to buy new. The battle is always setting a budget as you generally get what you pay for and I can always spend more but relative to the rest of my setup I don't want to spend more then I will get out of the amp relative to the capabilities of my TT, Pre Amp, and Speakers. I feel I will be satisfied with my setup once I have a proper stereo amp, my speakers and pre amp will likely be apart of my system for the near future.

I am not inherently opposed to buying used as even a new item can be faulty but ideally I would like to buy new. The battle is always setting a budget as you generally get what you pay for and I can always spend more but relative to the rest of my setup I don't want to spend more then I will get out of the amp relative to the capabilities of my TT, Pre Amp, and Speakers. I feel I will be satisfied with my setup once I have a proper stereo amp, my speakers and pre amp will likely be apart of my system for the near future.
Agreed, you never know even with new items, but they're new and the chances for issues I would assume are smaller. I think I came across one on ebay that was a factory refurb with a 1 year factory warranty.........might be worth a look. Let me see if I can get a link for you.

Back