Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Agreed, you never know even with new items, but they're new and the chances for issues I would assume are smaller. I think I came across one on ebay that was a factory refurb with a 1 year factory warranty.........might be worth a look. Let me see if I can get a link for you.
Sweet I will check it out.

Definitely seems like a fair deal from a seller that will actually provide support if something goes wrong as well.
You could avoid giving ebay their 10% cut by ordering direct from safeandsound here:

Last edited:
I connect my phone to play music and thats it. Budget would be $100.
For that budget I would recommend looking around some vintage listings. I found a 70s Japanese receiver from a lesser-known company for $60 on Kijiji last year. Then you could just get an RCA-to-Aux cable for your phone.

I need some advice. I am looking to upgrade my current turntable to a forever table and am leaning vintage rather than new.

Lenco L75 turntable - all original, minor scuffs, otherwise great cosmetic condition.

Head shell is silver, which leads me to believe that the idler wheel is metal. Shure Hi-Track cartridge.

After doing some reading on Lenco Heaven, I assume I will have to replace the V blocks and potentially the platter bearing and tone arm wires.

What would be a reasonable price to pay? I know the vintage market has been getting pretty pricey.

I need some advice. I am looking to upgrade my current turntable to a forever table and am leaning vintage rather than new.

Lenco L75 turntable - all original, minor scuffs, otherwise great cosmetic condition.

Head shell is silver, which leads me to believe that the idler wheel is metal. Shure Hi-Track cartridge.

After doing some reading on Lenco Heaven, I assume I will have to replace the V blocks and potentially the platter bearing and tone arm wires.

What would be a reasonable price to pay? I know the vintage market has been getting pretty pricey.
I have a GL69 that I'm partway upgrading. Just need to get a new plinth made up.

You can totally do the basic mechanical work yourself. I changed the V blocks myself (dead easy) and did the cleaning bits. I'm totally not technical at all. From what they say on the forum the original tonearm can be improved on but I'm sure it would be great for at least the short term, and if you wanted to change there are tonearms you can swap straight in (Linn Basiks for example).

In terms of price, I think eBay and Lenco Heaven are your best bet. My GL69 was my dads, so I got it for nothing.

Any thoughts on Sansui SP-2000 speakers? There's a pair for sale locally at a price well below ebay/online prices. I'd be hooking them up to a Pioneer SX-450.

I have a GL69 that I'm partway upgrading. Just need to get a new plinth made up.

You can totally do the basic mechanical work yourself. I changed the V blocks myself (dead easy) and did the cleaning bits. I'm totally not technical at all. From what they say on the forum the original tonearm can be improved on but I'm sure it would be great for at least the short term, and if you wanted to change there are tonearms you can swap straight in (Linn Basiks for example).

In terms of price, I think eBay and Lenco Heaven are your best bet. My GL69 was my dads, so I got it for nothing.

It seems like it might be worth a look. The craigslist asking price seems like it is fair compared to eBay, but the seller hasn't had it checked or serviced.

It seems like it might be worth a look. The craigslist asking price seems like it is fair compared to eBay, but the seller hasn't had it checked or serviced.
If you follow the instructions on Lenco Heaven you can do the servicing pretty easily. As I said, I changed the v Blocks as well as giving the motor and spindle a clean. I needed to re-solder the tonearm ground which gets soldered into a tricky bit, and I needed to put a modern power cable in, so I got help on that. It's more a lack of motivation than anything else that's stopping me on the plinth. My dad has access to the right tools, we just need the time to measure (twice) and cut (once).

I've not heard mine playing, but apparently they are seriously good once the V Blocks are done and it's been serviced.

Any thoughts on Sansui SP-2000 speakers? There's a pair for sale locally at a price well below ebay/online prices. I'd be hooking them up to a Pioneer SX-450.

You won’t find too many fans of the speakers the Japanese electronic titans built during the 70s, outside of the Pioneer HPMs. Personally I haven’t heard that model of Sansui, but I was demoed a similar pair at a vintage shop once and pushed quickly towards other models. I don’t remember it being outright bad, just not as extended or refined / balanced as better 70s speakers.

As for matching / synergy, I’ve been running a bigger brother to your receiver, the SX-750 for over a year now, fully recapped and restored. I find sensitivity to be really important to getting a good match. One rue of thumb I’ve heard from other fans of the SX-X50 series is to stick to speakers with sensitivity over 90db. That’s certainly helped with my pursuit of speakers, and I expect it would be even more important with a 15wpc model.

Now those Sansui don’t have the sensitivity spec listed on the old materials, but just looking visually at them, they look like a model that would require a little more juice. If I were you I would look for smaller more efficient vintage speakers, or modern high sensitivity bookshelves.

You won’t find too many fans of the speakers the Japanese electronic titans built during the 70s, outside of the Pioneer HPMs. Personally I haven’t heard that model of Sansui, but I was demoed a similar pair at a vintage shop once and pushed quickly towards other models. I don’t remember it being outright bad, just not as extended or refined / balanced as better 70s speakers.

As for matching / synergy, I’ve been running a bigger brother to your receiver, the SX-750 for over a year now, fully recapped and restored. I find sensitivity to be really important to getting a good match. One rue of thumb I’ve heard from other fans of the SX-X50 series is to stick to speakers with sensitivity over 90db. That’s certainly helped with my pursuit of speakers, and I expect it would be even more important with a 15wpc model.

Now those Sansui don’t have the sensitivity spec listed on the old materials, but just looking visually at them, they look like a model that would require a little more juice. If I were you I would look for smaller more efficient vintage speakers, or modern high sensitivity bookshelves.

Excellent, really appreciate the advice. I think for the time being I'll look for some bookshelves with your recommendations. I'll be using them as my secondary/"B" speaker set. And the 450 is a nice little unit - got it fully restored about 6 months ago and have been really pleased with it. Fits my needs perfectly.

Excellent, really appreciate the advice. I think for the time being I'll look for some bookshelves with your recommendations. I'll be using them as my secondary/"B" speaker set. And the 450 is a nice little unit - got it fully restored about 6 months ago and have been really pleased with it. Fits my needs perfectly.

It's a great series for sure, especially when restored to regain its full slam and clarity. Really hasn't ballooned in price as much as the contemporary Marantz units have in recent years too. Good luck with your hunt!

Back