Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Think I’m about to pull the trigger on the Wharfdale Lintons team. It looks like I’m going to need an amp, my first one ever! Any good options that will allow me to still BT stream through the Lintons? Not even sure if amps have those features, I currently use my speakers as my TV speakers as well for what it’s worth. Any quality options under $500?

My current set up is Fluance RT85 -> Schitt Magni Heresey -> Musical Fidelity LX-LPS -> Klipsch R-51pms

Thanks in advance!
Don’t get any amp with a built in digital anything. Outboard Bluetooth receivers are really inexpensive. Here is an example: $23.

Amazon product ASIN B016NUTG5K
For an amplifier I’d recommend the NAD C316BEE. I just put one over at the in laws, and it’s really quite impressive. Looks plain (which I like) sounds great (which I like more.)

Amazon product ASIN B07D3BS3BL

Don’t get any amp with a built in digital anything. Outboard digital streamers are really inexpensive. Here is an example: $23.

Amazon product ASIN B016NUTG5K
For an amplifier I’d recommend the NAD C316BEE. I just put one over at the in laws, and it’s really quite impressive. Looks plain (which I like) sounds great (which I like more.)

Amazon product ASIN B07D3BS3BL
Amazing. Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Is it feasible to use my Lintons for casual movie nights like I do my Klipsch? Would the NAD somehow accommodate an aux input from my projector?

Side note: always loved the look of a vintage Marantz, is it possible to find one of those in budget that would give the NAD a run for its money

Amazing. Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Is it feasible to use my Lintons for casual movie nights like I do my Klipsch? Would the NAD somehow accommodate an aux input from my projector?

Side note: always loved the look of a vintage Marantz, is it possible to find one of those in budget that would give the NAD a run for its money
A vintage Marantz in the price range of the NAD is going to be tough. If you find one at all, it will surely need restoration. I’d avoid that. Also, there is a scammer on CL that advertises Marantz at killer prices. Run the other way. He gets your money. You get nothing. He’s been at it for years.

Vintage has gotten ridiculously priced IMO. Back when I was buying that gear, it was just old gear and priced well. I’ve had more old Marantz than I can remember. Like a 2270 I doubt I paid more than $175 for. Needed about an hour on the bench. Now? It’s 30 years older and 10 x more expensive. I don’t see the value. But I get that you want what you want.

The NAD has plenty of inputs so you can use it with numerous audio sources. And the Wharfedales are brilliant for movies as well.

Yeah that’s the same nad I posted the refurb of a above. If the projector has RCA analogue sound out then totally, run an RCA cable from it directly into any input on the nad other than the phono.

A vintage Marantz in the price range of the NAD is going to be tough. If you find one at all, it will surely need restoration. I’d avoid that. Also, there is a scammer on CL that advertises Marantz at killer prices. Run the other way. He gets your money. You get nothing. He’s been at it for years.

Vintage has gotten ridiculously priced IMO. Back when I was buying that gear, it was just old gear and priced well. I’ve had more old Marantz than I can remember. Like a 2270 I doubt I paid more than $175 for. Needed about an hour on the bench. Now? It’s 30 years older and 10 x more expensive. I don’t see the value. But I get that you want what you want.

The NAD has plenty of inputs so you can use it with numerous audio sources. And the Wharfedales are brilliant for movies as well.
Yeah that’s the same nad I posted the refurb of a above. If the projector has RCA analogue sound out then totally, run an RCA cable from it directly into any input on the nad other than the phono.
Makes sense. The NAD it is! Probably pulling the trigger in a week or so 🔥🔥🔥.

And if the projector only has a digital out, you still have options. You can get a DAC to convert from TOSLINK to dual RCA. I personally like my Schiit for that purpose. You can even find boxes to convert the ARC (audio return channel) on HDMI to dual RCA. No recommendations because I don't have experience with those.

So I realized today I could sell my doge and use it to upgrade my set up. Currently I have a Fluance RT-85 with an Ortofon Blue. That will stay for sure. Is a $1500-$2000 budget enough to get a solid tube amp (never have tried one but love how they look) and new speakers?

They'd be replacing some vintage speakers and a Sanusi model 2000
$2k for a tube amp can happen. Not including speakers though. Here is some food for thought:

It’s still out of your price range, but @tomheo just bought an open box Prima Luna EVO-100 from Upscale Audio. I can’t begin to convey how good the Prima Lunas are, both in build quality and sound quality. Also, the amp won’t suffer damage when an output tube (the bigger ones) blows. You’ll get a red indicator light telling you which tube is bad. Turn the amp off, replace the tube. Turn the amp on. Easy. No bias adjustments-the amp automatically adjusts itself to the tubes- especially important as the tubes age.

Lots of good info here:

There’s another option if the PL is out of reach. Look at the Black Ice integrated amps. The F22 is what I’d look at.

Galen Carol is also a great dealer.

You would need a phono stage with either one if you don’t have one already.

My thinking is to save a bit more and get great gear that will last long term instead of compromising and still wanting a tube amp. It’s cheaper in the long run.

$2k for a tube amp can happen. Not including speakers though. Here is some food for thought:

It’s still out of your price range, but @tomheo just bought an open box Prima Luna EVO-100 from Upscale Audio. I can’t begin to convey how good the Prima Lunas are, both in build quality and sound quality. Also, the amp won’t suffer damage when an output tube (the bigger ones) blows. You’ll get a red indicator light telling you which tube is bad. Turn the amp off, replace the tube. Turn the amp on. Easy. No bias adjustments-the amp automatically adjusts itself to the tubes- especially important as the tubes age.

Lots of good info here:

There’s another option if the PL is out of reach. Look at the Black Ice integrated amps. The F22 is what I’d look at.

Galen Carol is also a great dealer.

You would need a phono stage with either one if you don’t have one already.

My thinking is to save a bit more and get great gear that will last long term instead of compromising and still wanting a tube amp. It’s cheaper in the long run.

Thanks! I haven't sold my doge but I realized part of the reason I've let it ride is because I don't need the cash. If I have planned purchases in mind then that changes things.

I will need a phone stage for sure since everything I've owned so far has had them built in.

What would you think I need if I wanted a complete set up including that Amp, speakers, and phone stage plus whatever odd and ends?

3600? 5000?

Thanks! I haven't sold my doge but I realized part of the reason I've let it ride is because I don't need the cash. If I have planned purchases in mind then that changes things.

I will need a phone stage for sure since everything I've owned so far has had them built in.

What would you think I need if I wanted a complete set up including that Amp, speakers, and phone stage plus whatever odd and ends?

3600? 5000?
1800 amp- Black Ice
1500 speakers Wharfedale Lintons with stands
330- Phono Stage Darlington MM-6
150 Cables

Total $3780.

But that’s with a tube amp. And really really great speakers. We could substitute different gear and bring that price down substantially.

1800 amp- Black Ice
150 Cables

Total $3780.

But that’s with a tube amp. And really really great speakers. We could substitute different gear and bring that price down substantially.

I'm assuming the black ice amp isn't as simple with replacing tubes as the other one you listed? Basically if I use my doge profits on music I'll have a set up id never have been able to afford otherwise. Right now that seems like the best use of the profits (unless I hold and it somehow gets to $10+ which I don't think is actually possible) so I'm trying to find a "grail" esc setup that would, barring a lottery win, be my setup for decades

I'm assuming the black ice amp isn't as simple with replacing tubes as the other one you listed? Basically if I use my doge profits on music I'll have a set up id never have been able to afford otherwise. Right now that seems like the best use of the profits (unless I hold and it somehow gets to $10+ which I don't think is actually possible) so I'm trying to find a "grail" esc setup that would, barring a lottery win, be my setup for decades
With the Black Ice, you dial in the idle current with the built in meter. The first time takes 15 minutes. After that, maybe 5. Basically you are adjusting how much current goes through the tubes so they are operating optimally. You’ll recheck the amp every 3-6 months. It’s easy.

The PL does all of this automatically and continuously. And it works very well. If you check the link I sent, they do a fantastic job of explaining why their amps cost what they do.

With the Black Ice, you dial in the idle current with the built in meter. The first time takes 15 minutes. After that, maybe 5. Basically you are adjusting how much current goes through the tubes so they are operating optimally. You’ll recheck the amp every 3-6 months. It’s easy.

The PL does all of this automatically and continuously. And it works very well. If you check the link I sent, they do a fantastic job of explaining why their amps cost what they do.

Sweet. Once I sell the doge I'll be back. Thanks as always

1800 amp- Black Ice
150 Cables

Total $3780.

Those Lintons really are lovely things. I’m still totally besotted with how they look and sound!

Yup, I received my EVO 100 on Saturday! I did an online chat with them late Thursday afternoon, and they confirmed they had two open box EVO 100s (in black). They shipped it out Friday morning and it arrived Saturday (I live like 45 minutes away from them)!

It was discounted 10% and even though it was an open box, I swear it's brand new. The only sign it had been opened was the triple-taping they did on the top of the box. It has the full manufacturer's warranty and full 60-day money-back guarantee. I'm waiting for my speakers to arrive, so in the meantime, I've just been testing it out with headphones (it's not even broken in yet) but it's amazing. My brain can't comprehend how something can have such great treble, mids, and bass and just sound so great. Headphones used were my Sennheiser HD6XX (300 ohm) and Focal Elegia (32 ohm).

Build quality is ridiculously impressive and the pics just don't do it justice! I'll report back once everything's set up...still need to decide/wait on shelving.

Guy at my local Hi-Fi told me the Lintons are all hype and told me to grab a pair of Dali (Oberons?) I think. I just squinted at him like “the whole internet thinks the Lintons are great my man”

IM STILL GETTING THE LINTONS CAUSE MY N&G FAM WOULD NEVER LIE TO ME

Guy at my local Hi-Fi told me the Lintons are all hype and told me to grab a pair of Dali (Oberons?) I think. I just squinted at him like “the whole internet thinks the Lintons are great my man”

IM STILL GETTING THE LINTONS CAUSE MY N&G FAM WOULD NEVER LIE TO ME
I just gotta say-it’s poor salesmanship to disparage a product because you don’t carry it.

I’m spinning a fresh copy of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” and I do wish you were here to hear them. They simply do not sound like what I expect for $1500 a pair (with stands).

I just gotta say-it’s poor salesmanship to disparage a product because you don’t carry it.

I’m spinning a fresh copy of Pink Floyd’s “Wish You Were Here” and I do wish you were here to hear them. They simply do not sound like what I expect for $1500 a pair (with stands).
Agreed, it’s put me off from giving him business outside of records and the occasional alignment. When I got my Fluance RT85 he told me to return it immediately as it’s a hunk of junk and I’d be much better off with the Pro-Ject Carbon which he conveniently carries 😂. I’ll be listening to that same record soon enough my friend! Going to place an order in the next two weeks!

Agreed, it’s put me off from giving him business outside of records and the occasional alignment. When I got my Fluance RT85 he told me to return it immediately as it’s a hunk of junk and I’d be much better off with the Pro-Ject Carbon which he conveniently carries 😂. I’ll be listening to that same record soon enough my friend! Going to place an order in the next two weeks!
The remaster sounds far better than I ever remember hearing this album. You won’t be disappointed.

Back