Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Hi guys! I'm looking for some advice and this looks like the perfect place to ask.

I'm very much in the category of "beginner budget audiophile." I work from home and my turntable is in my modest-sized office, and I usually listen between Zoom calls and at low to moderate volume. Pending some unforeseen inheritance I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on equipment, but also want to get the most out of my listening experience and invest in quality. The audiophile rabbit hole is deep, vast and paralyzing to a neophyte such as myself.

I was wondering if you guys could help me work out an "upgrade path" where I can prioritize components that will have the biggest impact and slowly build out a solid overall system. There are so many interesting recommendations floating around here (Darlington Labs, Fluance RT85, etc.) but I'm just not sure where best to start. Here's my current rig:
  • AT-LP120 Turntable with a Shure m97xe cartridge
  • Sony STR-DH190 receiver with phono input
  • Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers
I do not have a dedicated preamp (travesty, I know). I bought a budget one a couple years ago and was getting a constant humming so disconnected it and have been surviving with what's built into the STR-DH190. I don't trust myself to remove the built in preamp on the AT-LP120 but not sure I'd notice if I did. This system has been fine for it's purpose but I can tell I'm missing dimensions of the music and feel like it's time to invest a little more into the experience.

So I guess I'm just looking for some guidance. Should I start with a preamp, and would that make a difference with the rest of the existing system? I have a buddy who keeps pushing integrated amps (especially if they are British made)...should I start there? Or should the turntable or speakers take priority? It's easier for me to upgrade in pieces to keep a lower price point...the better to go unnoticed, if you know what I mean. ;)

Sorry to be so open-ended but that's sort of where I'm at now. Would love any feedback!

Hi guys! I'm looking for some advice and this looks like the perfect place to ask.

I'm very much in the category of "beginner budget audiophile." I work from home and my turntable is in my modest-sized office, and I usually listen between Zoom calls and at low to moderate volume. Pending some unforeseen inheritance I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on equipment, but also want to get the most out of my listening experience and invest in quality. The audiophile rabbit hole is deep, vast and paralyzing to a neophyte such as myself.

I was wondering if you guys could help me work out an "upgrade path" where I can prioritize components that will have the biggest impact and slowly build out a solid overall system. There are so many interesting recommendations floating around here (Darlington Labs, Fluance RT85, etc.) but I'm just not sure where best to start. Here's my current rig:
I do not have a dedicated preamp (travesty, I know). I bought a budget one a couple years ago and was getting a constant humming so disconnected it and have been surviving with what's built into the STR-DH190. I don't trust myself to remove the built in preamp on the AT-LP120 but not sure I'd notice if I did. This system has been fine for it's purpose but I can tell I'm missing dimensions of the music and feel like it's time to invest a little more into the experience.

So I guess I'm just looking for some guidance. Should I start with a preamp, and would that make a difference with the rest of the existing system? I have a buddy who keeps pushing integrated amps (especially if they are British made)...should I start there? Or should the turntable or speakers take priority? It's easier for me to upgrade in pieces to keep a lower price point...the better to go unnoticed, if you know what I mean. ;)

Sorry to be so open-ended but that's sort of where I'm at now. Would love any feedback!

I think a lot depends on what you want to spend and what you want your system to do. A phono stage is often a really under rated piece of gear but I agree that you’d probably need to update both it and your table as a package to make it worthwhile.

Budget I think is going to depend on what recommendations you get.

I think a lot depends on what you want to spend and what you want your system to do. A phono stage is often a really under rated piece of gear but I agree that you’d probably need to update both it and your table as a package to make it worthwhile.
I'll second. Personally, my biggest sonic leaps have been...
1. cartridge
2. speakers
3. amp
4. phono

turntable had only small impact on sound, but made the cartridge possible.

Budget I think is going to depend on what recommendations you get.
Yeah, I know. I don't think I'm ready to spend more than $500 on any one component at the moment. Most of the turntables that seem to be in my sweet spot are in that range. But then again if I get a Fluance, Rega or Debut Carbon but still have the rest of the system I'm worried how much of a difference in listening experience I'd achieve.

If I weren't also about to renovate a bathroom and some closets I might be in a different spot. And maybe it makes sense to wait. The Darlington Labs components that have been talked about here were in the $200-$400 range and that's what got me thinking that maybe I can kick things up a notch with a specific piece. Does that help?

Yeah, I know. I don't think I'm ready to spend more than $500 on any one component at the moment. Most of the turntables that seem to be in my sweet spot are in that range. But then again if I get a Fluance, Rega or Debut Carbon but still have the rest of the system I'm worried how much of a difference in listening experience I'd achieve.

If I weren't also about to renovate a bathroom and some closets I might be in a different spot. And maybe it makes sense to wait. The Darlington Labs components that have been talked about here were in the $200-$400 range and that's what got me thinking that maybe I can kick things up a notch with a specific piece. Does that help?
Off the top it sounds like you should just save and do the turntable next. Because two of those options are locked by your turntable unless you are willing to do a bypass, which I think is easier than you believe.

I think my first move would be the turntable. That’s the pinch point right now. The phono would be limited by the AT.

Out of those Regas are hella overpriced in the US. Good no doubt but not worth US prices where you’re paying what we would for the next model up.

The fluance and project debut are much of a muchness but the RT85 is probably better value for the states because of the blue.

That would be a boost off the bat and could then save for the further boost of the MM6.

I think my first move would be the turntable. That’s the pinch point right now. The phono would be limited by the AT.

Out of those Regas are hella overpriced in the US. Good no doubt but not worth US prices where you’re paying what we would for the next model up.

The fluance and project debut are much of a muchness but the RT85 is probably better value for the states because of the blue.

That would be a boost off the bat and could then save for the further boost of the MM6.
That's a great point about the Fluance w/ the Blue. The value in that package seems pretty great, and from what I've seen on this forum it's a well-liked TT. Unless there are others I'm missing in my consideration set...

Overall, though, this is very helpful! It has the added benefit of being something I could subtly suggest as a Father's Day gift to someone who isn't as into technical specs as I am, and I can keep my eye open for used speakers & amps, too.

That's a great point about the Fluance w/ the Blue. The value in that package seems pretty great, and from what I've seen on this forum it's a well-liked TT. Unless there are others I'm missing in my consideration set...

Overall, though, this is very helpful! It has the added benefit of being something I could subtly suggest as a Father's Day gift to someone who isn't as into technical specs as I am, and I can keep my eye open for used speakers & amps, too.
The Fluance is a lot of table, or at least a lot of cart, for the money. I rarely run into any sour Fluance owners.

The Fluance is a good move, especially the RT-85. Nothing else touches it for the money.

As you are just starting out, I’d be wary of used gear. The affordable stuff- lots isn’t worth messing with. The good stuff is overpriced. That’s not to say it can’t happen, but it’s the exception, not the rule. If you stick to reputable places, there are deals to be had (Echo Audio and The Music Room come immediately to mind.) Another option would be open box from Music Direct. Lots of us (including me) have purchased open box from them and most of us swear the items are factory fresh.

Another option is B Stock (cosmetic imperfections usually very very minor) or refurbished (customer returns repaired and put back on the market). I’ve sold and owned both without issue.

Given your budget this is what I’d get:

TT: Fluance RT-85
Amp: NAD C316 BEE
Speakers Elac Debut 6.2

The NAD has a surprisingly good phono stage built in. You could always upgrade later to the Darlington MM-6 ($329) but I’d do something else first.

A Squeaky Clean or KAB EV-1 and a wet dry vac along with some Chisto cleaning concentrate will do an excellent job of cleaning your vinyl. Clean records sound much better and can last a lifetime.

You’d be just over $1500 for all of it, including a record cleaning system. I think you’d be very happy, and it’s a big jump up in quality/realism from where you are now. And you’d end up under budget with open box on the speakers and a refurbished amp.

The Fluance is a good move, especially the RT-85. Nothing else touches it for the money.

As you are just starting out, I’d be wary of used gear. The affordable stuff- lots isn’t worth messing with. The good stuff is overpriced. That’s not to say it can’t happen, but it’s the exception, not the rule. If you stick to reputable places, there are deals to be had (Echo Audio and The Music Room come immediately to mind.) Another option would be open box from Music Direct. Lots of us (including me) have purchased open box from them and most of us swear the items are factory fresh.

Another option is B Stock (cosmetic imperfections usually very very minor) or refurbished (customer returns repaired and put back on the market). I’ve sold and owned both without issue.

Given your budget this is what I’d get:

TT: Fluance RT-85
Amp: NAD C316 BEE
Speakers Elac Debut 6.2

The NAD has a surprisingly good phono stage built in. You could always upgrade later to the Darlington MM-6 ($329) but I’d do something else first.

A Squeaky Clean or KAB EV-1 and a wet dry vac along with some Chisto cleaning concentrate will do an excellent job of cleaning your vinyl. Clean records sound much better and can last a lifetime.

You’d be just over $1500 for all of it, including a record cleaning system. I think you’d be very happy, and it’s a big jump up in quality/realism from where you are now. And you’d end up under budget with open box on the speakers and a refurbished amp.

This is PERFECT @HiFi Guy

Exactly the advice I was hoping for. I'll post pics as this comes together, but I cannot thank you enough.

This is PERFECT @HiFi Guy

Exactly the advice I was hoping for. I'll post pics as this comes together, but I cannot thank you enough.
I started out with the NAD C316bee amp and concur that the built-in phono preamp sounds good. I paired it with Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers, which both look and sound lovely. There's an open box pair on sale at Music Direct for $450 right now. I can vouch that the open box items I have ordered from MD looked brand new to me.

Back