Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Alright, thoughts on the NAD C368 Hybrid Digital Amp? It checks a lot of boxes for what I think I'll need. Reviews look positive too.

The Audiolab stuff is supposed to have very good "synergy" with your speakers. That would be my first priority. You can always plug other stuff into the amp.

The Audiolab stuff is supposed to have very good "synergy" with your speakers. That would be my first priority. You can always plug other stuff into the amp.

It’s made by the same parent company (IAG) so that would make sense. As is Quad and the new Leak stuff. The Quad Vena would potentially be looking at if it’s findable in the states. That said I’d be very tempted by the Black Ice Integrated that @HiFi Guy posted on the deals thread if I was in the states and looking for a new amp, I’d be very tempted indeed...

So had a few minutes before my kids volleyball game, so stopped by Echo Audio. 🤣. They were super nice, talked with the owner and they loan stuff out to try. He thought this might be an option. Gonna give it a shot. Can try a few things before buying anything. This was a lot cheaper than I expected to upgrade at.

30EA2778-761E-4EC5-856E-24D5566F8F5B.jpeg

Yes, please get your Kef's on proper, sand filled stands and in a listening triangle for proper listening. Whooshing is usually a setup issue. I do not believe it is sylus (that is usually dulling of the sound) but you can certainly try it if your at high hours.

First make sure your table is level using a small bubble level, check your stylus tracking force with a scale, email U-turn, they can send you a protractor or you can print one out to check your alignment unless you already have one , and check vtf using the straw trick.

I would also recommend some sort of isolation at some point. One other thing your cable run form table to receiver looks on the long side, usually table to pre should be as short as possible (0.5-1 meter) with a good low capacitance cable.
So I'm looking to find some way to move the amplifier and the turntable on top of the Kallax, running speaker cable behind the walls and centering them in a triangle on both sides of my built-ins. This would eliminate the turntable being on the same surface as any speaker, and would allow me to use a much shorter RCA cable between amp and TT.

The problem is, I'm not sure how to do that. There are those small desk risers that people use to prop up a monitor. However, those won't fit the amplifier under it. I would also want some sort of soft/flat/cushiony surface under the TT for isolation.

Anyone have any ideas that would fit the bill?

So I'm looking to find some way to move the amplifier and the turntable on top of the Kallax, running speaker cable behind the walls and centering them in a triangle on both sides of my built-ins. This would eliminate the turntable being on the same surface as any speaker, and would allow me to use a much shorter RCA cable between amp and TT.

The problem is, I'm not sure how to do that. There are those small desk risers that people use to prop up a monitor. However, those won't fit the amplifier under it. I would also want some sort of soft/flat/cushiony surface under the TT for isolation.

Anyone have any ideas that would fit the bill?

Id have a word with a carpenter and see they could make you a sort of bespoke U shaped wooden step that would go over the top of the amp, leaving a few cm on top of the amp for ventilation, and that the turntable could sit on. You could even buy some sorbothane dots to put under it to further isolate the turntable from the Kallax surface.

You’d be surprised how much value you can get by getting a craftsman to build something simple like that rather than looking for hi-fi specific stuff that’s often overpriced for what it is and that might not fit your needs exactly.

Id have a word with a carpenter and see they could make you a sort of bespoke U shaped wooden step that would go over the top of the amp, leaving a few cm on top of the amp for ventilation, and that the turntable could sit on. You could even buy some sorbothane dots to put under it to further isolate the turntable from the Kallax surface.

You’d be surprised how much value you can get by getting a craftsman to build something simple like that rather than looking for hi-fi specific stuff that’s often overpriced for what it is and that might not fit your needs exactly.
That's a good idea. I have a reliable contractor that is actually doing some custom work in my basement. He's more than capable. I'll pitch him that idea.

So have the amplifier centered on the top of the Kallax. Then have the U-Shaped shelf with enough clearance (both so the amp can breathe/not overheat and so there's enough distance between amplifier and turntable). Put some new isolation sorbothane dots under the TT that will be sitting on the shelf - Do I have that right?

And I shouldn't be concerned about issues with long speaker cables, right?

That's a good idea. I have a reliable contractor that is actually doing some custom work in my basement. He's more than capable. I'll pitch him that idea.

So have the amplifier centered on the top of the Kallax. Then have the U-Shaped shelf with enough clearance (both so the amp can breathe/not overheat and so there's enough distance between amplifier and turntable). Put some new isolation sorbothane dots under the TT that will be sitting on the shelf - Do I have that right?

And I shouldn't be concerned about issues with long speaker cables, right?

Yeah that’d be the idea. I’d actually get something like these and put them under the bit of the u from the u shelf that touches the Kallax, one on the front and back of each side, so isolating the whole shelf from the Kallax. Just make sure that the shelf uses a thick enough piece of wood to fit them lol!

So I ended up sketching this out lol

In my head, I was going to have him physically affix the shelf to the top of the Kallax with like nails or screws so it doesn't move. Would isolation of the shelf to the top of the Kallax really be that big of a deal? I'm not quite sure how the items you linked would work. Also, it would look a bit ugly.

Attachments

• IMG_8514.jpg
    IMG_8514.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 13

In my head, I was going to have him physically affix the shelf to the top of the Kallax with like nails or screws so it doesn't move. Would isolation of the shelf to the top of the Kallax really be that big of a deal? I'm not quite sure how the items you linked would work. Also, it would look a bit ugly.

The flat bit sticks to the wood of the u shelf. It would create 3 domed feet for it that would sit on the Kallax. The idea is that any vibrations that are travelling through the Kallax would not travel into the shelf and up to the turntable. It’s also not physically attached to the Kallax so it’s re-usable if you want a bigger Kallax or to move the tt and amp to a different location down the line.

They’re not all that big to be honest so they should be no more obtrusive than back feet on a piece of hifi gear. If you look at the Hudson hifi website they also do smaller ones. They’re rated by weight so that’s how you would determine the size you need, I just linked to the biggest ones that carry the highest weight.

Wouldn't a 2x4 Kallax with one of the dividers pulled work better and easier for you? Or is space the issue?
1615570912555.png

Actually scratch that, that's not a divider, my bad.
Also lack of space in my current listening area - At least until we sell this house, get a new build and get myself a dedicated listening room to my specifications (It's happening! Within 5 years). For now, I'm left making the most of the space I've got.

The flat bit sticks to the wood of the u shelf. It would create 3 domed feet for it that would sit on the Kallax. The idea is that any vibrations that are travelling through the Kallax would not travel into the shelf and up to the turntable. It’s also not physically attached to the Kallax so it’s re-usable if you want a bigger Kallax or to move the tt and amp to a different location down the line.

They’re not all that big to be honest so they should be no more obtrusive than back feet on a piece of hifi gear. If you look at the Hudson hifi website they also do smaller ones. They’re rated by weight so that’s how you would determine the size you need, I just linked to the biggest ones that carry the highest weight.
Found these on Amazon [LINK] - They may work better. Could put 4 under the U-Shelf, and several under the turntable itself.

Found these on Amazon [LINK] - They may work better. Could put 4 under the U-Shelf, and several under the turntable itself.

Honestly they they threw 4 of those in with the feet I bought from them (I bought the square ones for under my IKEA butchers block) and I’d be dubious if they have any real isolating effect.

So when I first set up my speakers, I never actually measured how far out they were from the wall. I just eyeballed them. Well, after 7ish months, I decided to measure and they’re 3 feet out. Of course that got me thinking about how far out other people have theirs. Is that acceptable or normal or should it be less? Or does it even matter as long as they sound good? If I were to move them in let’s say to 2 feet would I get a little more bass? I know, it’s late and I’m just delaying the inevitable.

So when I first set up my speakers, I never actually measured how far out they were from the wall. I just eyeballed them. Well, after 7ish months, I decided to measure and they’re 3 feet out. Of course that got me thinking about how far out other people have theirs. Is that acceptable or normal or should it be less? Or does it even matter as long as they sound good? If I were to move them in let’s say to 2 feet would I get a little more bass? I know, it’s late and I’m just delaying the inevitable.
Yes you would. 3 might be a bit far depending on the size of the speaker. What kind of speakers are they?

Zu Dirty Weekends
I'm sure the others on here that are more familiar with those and have way more technical knowledge than me will have more informed opinions. But generally speaking I would say go to 2 feet and keep moving back towards the wall toed in to your listening position until you find you're happy with the mix of bass vs soundstage.

Back