Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Or does it even matter as long as they sound good?
This is the key question. And the answer is don't let your brain try to override your ears.

But the best part about placement is it's a free experiment. Just put some tape down to mark your current placement, move the speakers closer to the way, and decide.

Is there any worthwhile budget CD players out there? Or any tips on finding a used one on the cheap? It would be a very small part of my listening but I do have some U2 fan club cds I want to get out again but my laptop and new car no longer have CD players.

car no longer have CD players
I think this freaked me out the most when I bought my Charger a few years ago, lol

I guess what's "Cheap" in your eyes? If you're just looking for a functioning CD Player I would just head to ebay and find the cleanest one for whatever you want to spend. Or go on Amazon and find an inexpensive DVD player ;)

I think this freaked me out the most when I bought my Charger a few years ago, lol

I guess what's "Cheap" in your eyes? If you're just looking for a functioning CD Player I would just head to ebay and find the cleanest one for whatever you want to spend. Or go on Amazon and find an inexpensive DVD player ;)
I would say sub $200 would be ideal.

I would say sub $200 would be ideal.
Honestly, under $200 I would look for a Blue-ray player. I know that sounds odd, but an actual CD player is hard to come by now a days, and the ones out there are for "audiophiles" and end up being pricey-er, over $300 for sure unless you start looking at used, and even then it might be hard.

There are a lot of good audio quality BR players that will also play DVD and CDs, so just in case you get some Deluxe package that has physical digital media you'll be able to play them as well. See if anyone else has any recommendations, just my 2 cents on the player ;)

NAD, pioneer, Yamaha and onkyo all make decent ones. For that budget maybe eBay or Craigslist might be your friend.
The other alternative is to get an external USB drive for your laptop. This is what I do. Rip the CD's to FLAC/whatever then you can play them off the laptop.

If it has to be a CD player then Joe's choices seem great. I'd maybe add Marantz into the mix as well, not on experience but reputation/seen reviews.

Honestly, under $200 I would look for a Blue-ray player. I know that sounds odd, but an actual CD player is hard to come by now a days, and the ones out there are for "audiophiles" and end up being pricey-er, over $300 for sure unless you start looking at used, and even then it might be hard.

There are a lot of good audio quality BR players that will also play DVD and CDs, so just in case you get some Deluxe package that has physical digital media you'll be able to play them as well. See if anyone else has any recommendations, just my 2 cents on the player ;)

Do the ones you get over there still have RCA outs? I haven’t seen a blu ray player over here with analogue output in years. Otherwise relying on also having a DAC to connect the optical/hdmi to.

Last edited:
The other alternative is to get an external USB drive for your laptop. This is what I do. Rip the CD's to FLAC/whatever then you can play them off the laptop.

If it has to be a CD player then Joe's choices seem great. I'd maybe add Marantz into the mix as well, not on experience but reputation/seen reviews.
This is actually not a bad idea. What software can I use to rip files. I haven't done it in years. I used to use iTunes but isn't that extinct?

Yep I turn on a thing and it just works. I’ve never found the need to do all those “extra” things that people tell me Windows lets me! Vista cured me of any want to ever going near anything Microsoft ever again.
I understand the Mac computer thing (besides the price tag). But when people try and tell me iphone is better than Android is where I lose respect 😁.

I suppose I could also get off my butt and Google best programs to rip audio. Most of what I want to rip is live CDs anyway so we're not talking Audiophile quality here.

I understand the Mac computer thing (besides the price tag). But when people try and tell me iphone is better than Android is where I lose respect 😁.

I suppose I could also get off my butt and Google best programs to rip audio. Most of what I want to rip is live CDs anyway so we're not talking Audiophile quality here.

Again being in one eco system my iPhone just works and connects to the Mac. Android doesn’t do that. I actually find the whole debate a bit boring, they’re both fine, they both make calls, they both send texts, they both have more apps than I need and they both surf the net.

Back