Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Not an infographic, but pretty helpful

I don't think all the tape and exact measurements are totally needed, but the concept is good. Do some general measurements within your room, start with them on the general area of the "tracks" and put them likely further out than you'd consider normally. Some speakers do want to be way out, but it seems like 3-4 feet is pretty normal.
Lots of theories on placement, but really once you find the right general area (usually like a 2 sq ft area / speaker) it's just tweaking and playing with toe in over time.

Now if you have multiple wall options in your room, I think it's worth trying those out. And if you have larger furniture pieces, it's worth considering their placement. But most of us normal people are doing furniture, then stereo in general, than speakers.

people only bought bose because they had the best noise cancelling around for a damn good while (only really dethroned by the sonys)
You know Bose was selling audio gear for over 30 years before they started selling any consumer headphones right? That might be their claim to fame now, but that's hardly what put them on the map.

I think the 901s and Acoustimass are the real claim to fame. The 901s were in production for 48 YEARS, more than twice as long as they've been making consumer headphones. My dad loved his 901s, and kept them for literal decades. I feel like half the houses I went to in the 90s had some form of an Acoustimass system in their living room.

The noise cancelling headphones are their modern era claim to fame, but they did build their brand on home audio.

You know Bose was selling audio gear for over 30 years before they started selling any consumer headphones right? That might be their claim to fame now, but that's hardly what put them on the map.

I think the 901s and Acoustimass are the real claim to fame. The 901s were in production for 48 YEARS, more than twice as long as they've been making consumer headphones. My dad loved his 901s, and kept them for literal decades. I feel like half the houses I went to in the 90s had some form of an Acoustimass system in their living room.

The noise cancelling headphones are their modern era claim to fame, but they did build their brand on home audio.

They didn't get where they are making crap, that's for sure. My 301's were great at the time and the "Stereo Everywhere" was amazing. Nowadays not as much, but I have respect when I'm making fun of them.

They didn't get where they are making crap, that's for sure. My 301's were great at the time and the "Stereo Everywhere" was amazing. Nowadays not as much, but I have respect when I'm making fun of them.
Exactly, I'm not saying let's all run out and buy Bose speakers. But saying they just make noise cancelling headphones is really reducing down the history of the company. They've always been an innovative lifestyle brand that adapts with their customers. Granted, they tend to ride the gravy train until it runs out of gas. But if someone besides Apple is going to figure out the next "wow, cool" consumer audio product, Bose has a history of doing that.

***Note my lack of the word hifi.***

Uh oh, I just "accidentally" won an eBay auction (last-second snipe, and during a work-related Zoom meeting!) on the Onkyo TX-8220 I've been eyeing for a while. Assuming the item arrives in the promised "Excellent Condition," it was a relative bargain at $160!

I will probably pop in here if/when I need set-up assistance.

Congrats! I quite enjoy my TX-8220 quite a bit that I have had for about 18 months. Does really well with my Studiodeck/Moon 110LP V2 combo, and it also has pretty good sounding Bluetooth as well.

Exactly, I'm not saying let's all run out and buy Bose speakers. But saying they just make noise cancelling headphones is really reducing down the history of the company. They've always been an innovative lifestyle brand that adapts with their customers. Granted, they tend to ride the gravy train until it runs out of gas. But if someone besides Apple is going to figure out the next "wow, cool" consumer audio product, Bose has a history of doing that.

***Note my lack of the word hifi.***
Their surround sound systems are good at making decent sound with minimum visual impact. Sometimes, that's a requirement too. It's just not a requirement for many members of this forum!

one thing to note is i listened to hivinyws videos about the rega turntables and i legit do hear that the planar one does sound better than the fluance or project competition (but he did call the studiodeck vs rega a tie in all but slightly better bass on the studiodeck).. so yeah im probably going with the studiodeck unless something like the project X1/2 or a musichall can be bought without the cartridge so i can put something unique on it

Not an infographic, but pretty helpful

Pretty depressed now. Pulled all the furniture around and got the speakers into optimal position. Fucking Nirvana. Too bad one speaker is now in the middle of a doorway and the other is so far into the room it’s in the path of another door. Furthermore the furniture fung shui is atrocious. Back to using AVR room correction only now I know what I am missing.

Pretty depressed now. Pulled all the furniture around and got the speakers into optimal position. Fucking Nirvana. Too bad one speaker is now in the middle of a doorway and the other is so far into the room it’s in the path of another door. Furthermore the furniture fung shui is atrocious. Back to using AVR room correction only now I know what I am missing.
It's too bad we have to live in our homes right? :LOL:

This is why I don't make speaker placement overly scientific, we have the room/s we have, find your listening spot and get the best sound you can using proven, basic principles, pull them away from the wall as best you can and use a little toe in to it's advantage. As you mentioned, the ideal spots for speakers in certain rooms aren't and never will be realistic placement in a home. If and when I can overtake a room in my house, then I'll get down to the nitty gritty of speaker placement.

Well I went and tinkered with the height adjustment on my Dirty Weekends and I might have given them too much bass 🤪
Those speakers really change with placement. Have you tried setting them with a slight rake up? I did that with mine, then toed them in directly at my head. I kept the height as low as possible, but they were on wood floors, which kept the bass tight. That setup gave me the best imaging for me. YMMV etc

Those speakers really change with placement. Have you tried setting them with a slight rake up? I did that with mine, then toed them in directly at my head. I kept the height as low as possible, but they were on wood floors, which kept the bass tight. That setup gave me the best imaging for me. YMMV etc
By rake up, you mean the front bolts are higher than the rear, then that’s exactly what I did. I probably need to adjust the placement now. Funny thing is that I wasn’t having any issues before, I just felt like tinkering.

Back