Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I have never owned a pair but the Bose 901 would surprise here I think.

edit: I didn't post rear pic but some action in back too.
View attachment 79945View attachment 79946
I have owned a pair. My wife loves the look. They just don’t sound good. One morning, I put my old Infinity Kappa 6.1s back in place. Walking into the living room, she said “I can tell you got the 901s sounding really good now!” Then she looked over and saw the 901s were gone. Her next comment was something along the lines of “I get it now. The 901s look great, they just don’t sound good.”

Exactly, I'm not saying let's all run out and buy Bose speakers. But saying they just make noise cancelling headphones is really reducing down the history of the company. They've always been an innovative lifestyle brand that adapts with their customers. Granted, they tend to ride the gravy train until it runs out of gas. But if someone besides Apple is going to figure out the next "wow, cool" consumer audio product, Bose has a history of doing that.

***Note my lack of the word hifi.***

Bose latest..

Guess who was looking at turntables while the boards were down last night? 🤪

Pros and Cons between the MoFi Ultradeck and VPI Scout. If I go MoFi do I add my own cart or do I choose one of theirs? And what’s the difference between the Ultra and Master carts? Does the Scout even have a dustcover option?

I’m also looking at the Pro-Ject Classic EVO.

Pros and Cons between the MoFi Ultradeck and VPI Scout. If I go MoFi do I add my own cart or do I choose one of theirs? And what’s the difference between the Ultra and Master carts? Does the Scout even have a dustcover option?

In regards to the MoFi, I would grab it with one of the MoFi carts, both are very, very good and at the bundled price are even more enticing. This will also give you time to live with the TT and get a better feel for it, then you can move onto a different cart if you decide to.........lot's of great options there as well. The UltraTracker is a great cart and I have no doubt you'll enjoy it.

If you get lucky and come across an open box, even better...........keep in mind a lot of people have that on their radar, not only around here, but in general, so if a deal pops up, be ready to jump on it. ;)

Good luck :)

Does the Scout even have a dustcover option?
I was seriously considering a VPI, but the lack of a hinged dust cover was a huge issue for me. It's less about dust than keeping my kids and their friend's curious fingers away from the arm and cartridge. You can get aftermarket covers though, and they run the gamut in price and size.

I’d drop the Pro-Ject off of the list. It’s a clear class below the other two.

Either of the other two are great choices. Had I not purchased the MoFi, I’d have either the VPI or the Technics GR.

The Mastertracker has a nude Microline stylus vs. a nude elliptical on the Ultratracker.

I was seriously considering a VPI, but the lack of a hinged dust cover was a huge issue for me. It's less about dust than keeping my kids and their friend's curious fingers away from the arm and cartridge. You can get aftermarket covers though, and they run the gamut in price and size.

I have a kid and she’s pretty good about staying away from that area but you never know. My biggest opponent is dust. Living in the desert plus a new development sprouting up across my neighborhood seems to be creating more of it. Plus if I’m paying that kind of cash, a dust cover should be included.

I’d drop the Pro-Ject off of the list. It’s a clear class below the other two.

Either of the other two are great choices. Had I not purchased the MoFi, I’d have either the VPI or the Technics GR.

The Mastertracker has a nude Microline stylus vs. a nude elliptical on the Ultratracker.
Is the extra money worth it for the Mastertracker? I’ve looked at both of those because of reputation and because they’re American based/sourced.

Is the extra money worth it for the Mastertracker? I’ve looked at both of those because of reputation and because they’re American based/sourced.
They are made in Japan by a major manufacturer that MoFi would prefer to not disclose. If you look AT them though, you’ll figure it out. 😉

The Mastertracker is clearly better if the extra outlay doesn’t bother you.

Hey guys, technical question. I've got an old pair of Energy C2s that I'm going to give to a buddy. But I've long since lost the... Bi amp connectors? Whatever you call to connect red to red and black to black on the back if the speaker isn't being bi amped... which it won't be. Can I simply run two short speakers wires between the two ports instead? I'm assuming that'll work in lieu of the metal connectors that used to run between the two?
20201213_151415.jpg

Hey guys, technical question. I've got an old pair of Energy C2s that I'm going to give to a buddy. But I've long since lost the... Bi amp connectors? Whatever you call to connect red to red and black to black on the back if the speaker isn't being bi amped... which it won't be. Can I simply run two short speakers wires between the two ports instead? I'm assuming that'll work in lieu of the metal connectors that used to run between the two?
View attachment 80134
Yes you can, and some say that method sounds better.

now i wonder if i should do a studiodeck with ultra/mastertracker or a MC hana SL

now i wonder if i should do a studiodeck with ultra/mastertracker or a MC hana SL
Isn't the Mastertracker just a rebodied Vm540ml/740ml? If so would going straight to the horses mouth not be more cost effective?

Back