Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

This chart on Zu's site is confusing to me. They seem to say the opposite. But, they also seem to change after the 50ohm total to greater or lesser values but still changes the impedance in the same direction?
I think the chart is showing how to get progressively lower impedances. I'm pretty sure 25Ω+25Ω means two resistors in parallel, which gives a lower impedance than the individual resistors.
Here's what I figured: you seem to think the sweet spot is somewhere between no resistor and the 25Ω. The speaker's native impedance is 12Ω, while the 25Ω resistor gives an impedance of 8Ω. I split the difference to get a target impedance of 10Ω and busted out my electrical engineering textbooks to calculate the resister that should provide that, which is 60Ω.
I don't think Zu sells 60Ω snubbers, but you can probably get them from an electronics store (used to be Radio Shack, but now it's either a local place or an online store like Mouser).
Is there any writing on your 25Ω snubbers? There might be something there that can help me identify a good one.

Uh oh, I just "accidentally" won an eBay auction (last-second snipe, and during a work-related Zoom meeting!) on the Onkyo TX-8220 I've been eyeing for a while. Assuming the item arrives in the promised "Excellent Condition," it was a relative bargain at $160!

I will probably pop in here if/when I need set-up assistance.

I think the chart is showing how to get progressively lower impedances. I'm pretty sure 25Ω+25Ω means two resistors in parallel, which gives a lower impedance than the individual resistors.
Here's what I figured: you seem to think the sweet spot is somewhere between no resistor and the 25Ω. The speaker's native impedance is 12Ω, while the 25Ω resistor gives an impedance of 8Ω. I split the difference to get a target impedance of 10Ω and busted out my electrical engineering textbooks to calculate the resister that should provide that, which is 60Ω.
I don't think Zu sells 60Ω snubbers, but you can probably get them from an electronics store (used to be Radio Shack, but now it's either a local place or an online store like Mouser).
Is there any writing on your 25Ω snubbers? There might be something there that can help me identify a good one.
Ah,

I wasn’t thinking of parallel resistors.

makes sense. I’ll check when I’m home.

Thanks

Me reading the conversation that @apholden and @VMPKJ are having

Ok, maybe I was flexing a little.

Sorry.

I was a teaching assistant for electrical fundamentals in undergraduate coursework, so this blurb was neat to read.

Nevermind on the resistors. I put back on the snubbers and after sitting all day I came home late and threw on an album... My God the difference in just 16 hours! It was VERY dynamic. If two weeks is the marinade time according to @HiFi Guy, then I will have to alter my original statement. It's at least as big a jump as the amp was.

....Also I like it with the current 8ohms.

Nooo. Don’t be sorry. I’m not gonna lie, I probably read that exchange 5 times and will most likely go back to it until I get it.
In that case, this might help you understand what's going on. Think of the speaker as a 12Ω resistor (that happens to make sound when it's resisting a current). The snubber is a regular resistor that gets wired across the speaker's terminals, meaning the speaker and snubber are in parallel. So the secret is to learn what happens when you put resistors in parallel. You can google "parallel resistors" for a bunch of tutorials about this.

Last edited:
Not really, it depends on the speakers the sitting position and the room. Listen and move until you’re happy.

I have some new to me bose 201's that I have at the end of some 6x2 cube shelves which ends up being about the same length to line up with the ends of my couch. Just not sure if I should angle the speakers so their centers are pointed to the center of the couch or straight

I have some new to me bose 201's that I have at the end of some 6x2 cube shelves which ends up being about the same length to line up with the ends of my couch. Just not sure if I should angle the speakers so their centers are pointed to the center of the couch or straight

A bit of toe in nearly always helps. Generally you don’t want them pointing at you. I’d start with them firing just outside each ear and listen and adjust until you’re happy.

Bose 201s- I’d put them forward facing with no toe in. Due to the design, the tweeter is already towed in.

Bose 201s- I’d put them forward facing with no toe in. Due to the design, the tweeter is already towed in.

Thanks. Not sure how long I'll run with them over the Klipsch SB-1's I have but they were my late grandfather's speakers so I figured since I'm also using his Sansui 2000 I should try out the whole system. Just not sure if there's enough bass for my liking

Back