Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Is it a bait and switch when they sell you something better for the same money, though?

This is actually how I got my Soundsmith. Tried to buy a previous model on closeout for $1300 and they had run out, so they sold me the new one ($1999) for the same price.
If that's how it's playing out for everyone, that's great, and kudos to them for the good faith discount.

I ended up getting the only one I could find in silver. I was pretty set on that unit. Though I think if I was up for 1400$ I would get that Southerland model in that range.

You found an MX-VYNL? Congrats, it’s a great little performer, I love mine, and it opens you up to the world of low output grados which is a very nice place to be in!

You found an MX-VYNL? Congrats, it’s a great little performer, I love mine, and it opens you up to the world of low output grados which is a very nice place to be in!
We’ll see. I suspect the place i got it might me drop shipping, but perhaps inventory is correct as they show out of black.

You guys talking about it here put me onto it. Mine is handling MC fine, but the Noise and THD on it is pretty substandard compared to other units in its range so I thought I’d give it a whirl and see if I can coax a bit better out of my set up. I’m swapping my amp too so thought it was a good time.

Last edited:
Do all Clearaudio tables have the anti skate underneath the plinth?
I’ve never set one up, so I don’t know. But in looking around I found this. I’d agree with the poster that said it’s a deficient arm design. I would have said it was a shit design. Anti Skate affects VTF? Another post that the user gets mistracking on the last 3 tracks? Another post where the user can’t get the cartridge to track at 1.5 grams? No thanks.

I’ve never set one up, so I don’t know. But in looking around I found this. I’d agree with the poster that said it’s a deficient arm design. I would have said it was a shit design. Anti Skate affects VTF? Another post that the user gets mistracking on the last 3 tracks? Another post where the user can’t get the cartridge to track at 1.5 grams? No thanks.

I watched a review on the Clearaudio Concept Black and one of the negatives was that the adjustment was underneath the table. Seems like a pain. I would hope that their more expensive tables would not have the anti skate adjustment underneath.
That being said, I’m no longer considering that table.

I watched a review on the Clearaudio Concept Black and one of the negatives was that the adjustment was underneath the table. Seems like a pain. I would hope that their more expensive tables would not have the anti skate adjustment underneath.
That being said, I’m no longer considering that table.
Mine is on the side of the arm. It’s just a screw, so not super intuitive as you don’t really have a dial. I never touched it (factory set) and it works fine. That said I have the Satisfy Kardan arm, it may be different with the concept arm. That arm is somehow magnetic but has a very bad rep amongst users as being very sensitive to footfalls.

edit: picture of the Satisfy AS0981370E-2B5A-4096-A7E2-E9B52E2D6474.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t have a good place to ask this, but is there a proper name/classification for speaker cabinets that are that weird in-between bookshelf and floorstanding size? Usually more common with vintage stuff that sit in upward-pointing floor stand type cradles.

I’ve been in conference calls all day looking at pictures and got to wondering.

I don’t have a good place to ask this, but is there a proper name/classification for speaker cabinets that are that weird in-between bookshelf and floorstanding size? Usually more common with vintage stuff that sit in upward-pointing floor stand type cradles.

I’ve been in conference calls all day looking at pictures and got to wondering.
“small floorstanders” afaik.

it says on vibrapods official website that you should put the vibrapod cups under another shelf where you put the turntable...

will this be an expensive upgrade or am i just overthinking this

Mine is on the side of the arm. It’s just a screw, so not super intuitive as you don’t really have a dial. I never touched it (factory set) and it works fine. That said I have the Satisfy Kardan arm, it may be different with the concept arm. That arm is somehow magnetic but has a very bad rep amongst users as being very sensitive to footfalls.

edit: picture of the Satisfy ASView attachment 78072
I looked at the concept before I picked up the 1210GR as there were some great deals kicking around but walked for that exact reason. Hyper active border collies, suspended wooden floors and sensitive tone arms didn't seem a winning combo. If I'd gone the Clearaudio route it would have likely been with the Marantz 15S1 (which looks pretty awesome to be honest)

it says on vibrapods official website that you should put the vibrapod cups under another shelf where you put the turntable...

will this be an expensive upgrade or am i just overthinking this
The Orbit feet are tapered, you can do the "double plinth" if you want, but It might be a little overkill. The Orbit feet will either rest all the way in the vibropod recess, or they'll rest on the rim, either of which is fine. It'll look something like this..........
1606909413933.png

I looked at the concept before I picked up the 1210GR as there were some great deals kicking around but walked for that exact reason. Hyper active border collies, suspended wooden floors and sensitive tone arms didn't seem a winning combo. If I'd gone the Clearaudio route it would have likely been with the Marantz 15S1 (which looks pretty awesome to be honest)
I hear ya. I played it safe and just got one with a better tonearm. That marantz is really something else lookwise. And a fantastic deal with that cartridge. I was considering it also. I never considered Technics as their looks really doesn’t do it for me. My TT is in my living room and I pretty much consider it as a piece if furniture. Which is a shame since they’re probably the best you can buy for the money. Now a look that really does it for me are suspended decks like the michell gyro, these are pieces of art really.

The Orbit feet are tapered, you can do the "double plinth" if you want, but It might be a little overkill. The Orbit feet will either rest all the way in the vibropod recess, or they'll rest on the rim, either of which is fine. It'll look something like this..........
I did this exact same thing with my Technics SL1200, and it nearly eliminated the thumping from my kids running around. The Orbit feet are way better suited to the vibrapods than my Technics was. I can't say the vibrapods made any additional difference beyond quieting the louder thumps and bumps though.

Back