Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

so now having a much better headphone based amplifier in the Schiit Magni 3+ trying out my current setup with my Mani preamp, Grado Black cartridge, and Sennheiser 58X headphones... tbh it kinda sounds a little worse now

the bass is a bit too bloated now and thus some microdetails i know are there are slightly hidden in a way i dont want and drum hits can even kinda hurt.. i'm going to a hifi shop on tuesday (hopefully my dad will let me since its only 45 minutes away), so i can see if i like the sound of grado headphones more (and if it turns out THOSE are not for me there is always the hifiman sundara), and i am definitely taking that offer on a ortofon 2M blue. those will definitely make the one issue i have right now much better (the timbre on this setup is amazing though)

i'm going to a hifi shop on tuesday (hopefully my dad will let me since its only 45 minutes away), so i can see if i like the sound of grado headphones more (and if it turns out THOSE are not for me there is always the hifiman sundara)
Interested to hear your thoughts after your visit on the equipment that you'll test.

Interested to hear your thoughts after your visit on the equipment that you'll test.
Specifically going to try to test the grado SR80e and 225e.

It won't be a 1 to 1 comparison of what I will hear on the turntable because their headphone display is all digital and I dunno if they have a headphone amp for it. But it could be useful and help me figure out what dac to get as well

If and when, I think the Blue would be a logical starting point, I would also like to try something up the AT ladder a bit at some point, something like the VM750SH, we'll see, I have nothing but time ;)
I've been running the 740 for a couple of months now. Knocks the socks off my older Nag MP200. That said I absolutely hated the Bronze so if that's your bag I may not be the best to share experiences.

If the 760 stylus goes mental cheap on amazon again I'm going to grab it and give it a whirl too. I need a step up to go MC so I'm probably MM for the forseeable otherwise I'd look at the ART 9 as its supposed to be insane on the Technics

I've been running the 740 for a couple of months now. Knocks the socks off my older Nag MP200. That said I absolutely hated the Bronze so if that's your bag I may not be the best to share experiences.

If the 760 stylus goes mental cheap on amazon again I'm going to grab it and give it a whirl too. I need a step up to go MC so I'm probably MM for the forseeable otherwise I'd look at the ART 9 as its supposed to be insane on the Technics
The Bronze seems to get beat up a lot around here, so I don't think you'll find yourself in the minority, lol

I feel in love with grado headphones

They sounded exactly like I wanted

I went to a hifi shop and preferred them to audeze LCD4

Also my dad now wants a 4K TV
That's awesome!

You should check out Big Ear Stereo, they're selling a few different models of Grado headphones at a pretty deep discount. Tom, the owner there, was very helpful when I worked with him.

Not all weights are created equal.

Yesterday I got to do an A/B test of my current MoFi Super HeavyWeight and the Star Sound Technologies Platter Ground. Both make an instantly audible difference in the sound of a quality recording, but both sound quite different.

The two designs represent two completely different philosophies on how a record clamp should work. And I'm sure for people who feel a record clamp does nothing, you can remain skeptical. No sense in fretting about if you don't hear a difference, just reporting what I heard.

MoFi is aluminum, covers the full record label, and uses a polymer to help absorb noise.
The Star Sound is solid brass, and focuses on transferring energy to the ground via the spindle.

Yesterday we only used one test track (St. Vincent - Savior Piano Version) as we were playing with a few different things. On the initial impressions, I have to say I was caught off guard. I was not expecting to hear any major difference at all, skeptical to say the least. What I did hear was the equivalent of a significant cable change. The Star Sound felt like there was more energy and life in the recording. Thinks just felt a little wider, and more open. The MoFi still improved the sound, and both weights allowed all the detail to come through, but the ease and life presented by the Star Sound was surprising. This was only one test case, but lucky for me, my friend/dealer doesn't have a turntable in house so I get to hang on to the Star Sound piece for more extensive testing. We'll see if these results carry through with various different albums, but I will say I was frankly shocked by the first impression.

Looking for the cheapest option to get someone started on their own set up.

They wanna spend less then $200 on the whole thing and only have the record player so far.

After looking online I was going to suggest the following

My one concern is that the record player doesn't come with a ground wire. I tested it on my own set up and it sounded fine. No buzzing or anything.

My other concern is how this works, cause I never have used this config. So you would plug in the phono cords in and the speakers out and thats it? No receiver would be necessary?

Any help or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

They wanna spend less then $200 on the whole thing and only have the record player so far.

My one concern is that the record player doesn't come with a ground wire. I tested it on my own set up and it sounded fine. No buzzing or anything.

My other concern is how this works, cause I never have used this config. So you would plug in the phono cords in and the speakers out and thats it? No receiver would be necessary?

Edit:
Correct, you want your TT RCA's to go to the Input of the Pyle, then out to the speakers.

I went with the R1700T that was suggested here which seems to be the slightly more expensive cousin of the R1280T, presuming it is the same thing with an external pre-amp, it was the easiest part of the set up. RCAs from speaker to pre-amp, and then the speaker cord connecting the left and right, with the AC Adapter to the left (I think) speaker. A decent number of cords to work with but I'm happy with their performance in a small room and set up was easy as pie. No receiver necessary.

The only thing I'd make sure of is that there is an electrical source near where you want the base speaker.

Back