Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

A stylus has a lifespan of approx 1000 hours. If you do a quick guesstimating of how many records you listen to a week you can usually figure out how long it has left on it or if it’s past it’s best and needs replacing. A stylus that is done isn’t going to make your system sound good and if it’s well past it’s best it could damage your vinyl.

So I spin a lot. I reckon 20 hours a week. Because of that I change my stylus yearly because it roughly hits the 1000 hours in that time. Some other people take 2 or 3 or even 4 years to reach that.

Regardless of all the above the blue is a damn big jump from the red and well worth it because it’s just the stylus that needs swapping as they use the same cartridge body. I really don’t like the red but think the blue is a very fine option at its price point.
Thank you very much. Very helpful response!

I'm at 2.5 years. I've been spinning much more in quarantine since I'm in my basement office near my system. I'm fairly sure I'm at or very near 1000 hours.

I'll get the blue on order.

Thank you very much. Very helpful response!

I'm at 2.5 years. I've been spinning much more in quarantine since I'm in my basement office near my system. I'm fairly sure I'm at or very near 1000 hours.

I'll get the blue on order.

Good choice, the difference is really massive, with it just being a nude tip. Pretty wild.

I actually just got a great deal on a used Bronze, as curiosity has gotten the better of me with so much time at home. Really looking forward to hearing a true A/B as I’ve spent the last 7 months with a Grado, and largely loved it, with a few picky things that I think the Bronze will showcase differently. There’ll most certainly be a tradeoff, so we’ll see!

Good choice, the difference is really massive, with it just being a nude tip. Pretty wild.

I actually just got a great deal on a used Bronze, as curiosity has gotten the better of me with so much time at home. Really looking forward to hearing a true A/B as I’ve spent the last 7 months with a Grado, and largely loved it, with a few picky things that I think the Bronze will showcase differently. There’ll most certainly be a tradeoff, so we’ll see!
Curious to hear your A/B thoughts once you've had some hours on it! I spent a lot of time with my Bronze, and significant time with both the MasterTracker and my Soundsmith, but never a Grado.

Curious to hear your A/B thoughts once you've had some hours on it! I spent a lot of time with my Bronze, and significant time with both the MasterTracker and my Soundsmith, but never a Grado.

Most definitely! Slated to come in early next week, so by next weekend, I should have some spins on some pressings that I know really well.

Hahaha! I have! Owned 2 and heard the more expensive 2. The blue is the only one I could even remotely recommend...
If and when, I think the Blue would be a logical starting point, I would also like to try something up the AT ladder a bit at some point, something like the VM750SH, we'll see, I have nothing but time ;)

If and when, I think the Blue would be a logical starting point, I would also like to try something up the AT ladder a bit at some point, something like the VM750SH, we'll see, I have nothing but time ;)

Yeah higher up the AT ladder is definitely intriguing, the ART7 and ART9 have definitely made me consider trying them as an entry into MC. That said it’s going to take a lot to convince me to swap out this Opus3 for anything!

Imagine if you like it! Now that is spooky stuff 👻
Never say never, but I try not to have an opinion unless I've heard something for myself or at least there's an overwhelming consensus about a given product. On top of all that, sometimes you just need to try, go blind and find out for yourself...........all those things are part of what makes this hobby fun and intriguing. Again, there is no "Right" answer to any of this really.

Never say never, but I try not to have an opinion unless I've heard something for myself or at least there's an overwhelming consensus about a given product. On top of all that, sometimes you just need to try, go blind and find out for yourself...........all those things are part of what makes this hobby fun and intriguing. Again, there is no "Right" answer to any of this really.

Absolutely, and that’s one of the (many) great things about this forum - everyone offering an opinion has actual experience with the products!

Yeah higher up the AT ladder is definitely intriguing, the ART7 and ART9 have definitely made me consider trying them as an entry into MC. That said it’s going to take a lot to convince me to swap out this Opus3 for anything!
Funny you mention that @Joe Mac , it's been a while since I sat down and listened to anything on the UD/Opus side, yesterday we sat for almost 3 hours and I gotta agree with you, the Opus3 is remarkably beautiful..........most of these possible cart adventures are most likely on the PLX unless something floors me when I hear it, then we might move it over to see.

All that said, and even mentioned to @HiFi Guy , I think the Opus3 is close to a "forever" cart, between cost, sound quality and replacement/re-tip cost, it's pretty rock solid.

I do wish the Ultradeck had a swappable headshell. It's much easier to make excuses to try new carts when it isn't so fiddly to install them.
Its a good thing, bad thing though. I don't regret having the second system with the PLX for that exact reason, but it also keeps that "....I wonder what X sounds like?" thought constantly bouncing around your head. Its great to have a "simple" way of trying things, but it also takes that much more effort to not just go on "testing" sprees just because. ;)

Its a good thing, bad thing though. I don't regret having the second system with the PLX for that exact reason, but it also keeps that "....I wonder what X sounds like?" thought constantly bouncing around your head. Its great to have a "simple" way of trying things, but it also takes that much more effort to not just go on "testing" sprees just because. ;)
True. The last thing I need is to spend more money. ;)

Funny you mention that @Joe Mac , it's been a while since I sat down and listened to anything on the UD/Opus side, yesterday we sat for almost 3 hours and I gotta agree with you, the Opus3 is remarkably beautiful..........most of these possible cart adventures are most likely on the PLX unless something floors me when I hear it, then we might move it over to see.

All that said, and even mentioned to @HiFi Guy , I think the Opus3 is close to a "forever" cart, between cost, sound quality and replacement/re-tip cost, it's pretty rock solid.

Yeah, it is remarkable, I think it might be the only one I’ll get on this table. If I ever get a better table (I’ve been through why I haven’t before and don’t see me doing it while this one is running) I’d maybe want to move up the timbre line or try something else.

Back