Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Yeah, it is remarkable, I think it might be the only one I’ll get on this table. If I ever get a better table (I’ve been through why I haven’t before and don’t see me doing it while this one is running) I’d maybe want to move up the timbre line or try something else.
Ya, that moving up the Timbre line is as bad as trying other carts on the PLX, lol. That being said, I can't see myself going beyond maybe a Sonata based on cost. Being a heavy spinner I have to keep the long term cost in mind, re-tipping vs user replaceable stylus all come into play, I just can't justify going too far over $600 on any cart.......just my opinion of course ;)

Ya, that moving up the Timbre line is as bad as trying other carts on the PLX, lol. That being said, I can't see myself going beyond maybe a Sonata based on cost. Being a heavy spinner I have to keep the long term cost in mind, re-tipping vs user replaceable stylus all come into play, I just can't justify going too far over $600 on any cart.......just my opinion of course ;)
Soundsmiths get cheaper with every rebuild! ;)

Yeah agreed. Same here. I came very close to getting the Sonata here too last time, In the end a £550 cart on a £430 table swung me to £275 opus. It’d be what I’d want to try if I went up the line on my table.

I think that's a safe bet even it it hasn't been published anywhere.......which puts a wrinkle in my wanting to move up the AT line when I think about it while having a MasterTracker, lol
Ok, good to know. I liked the Ultratracker and totally agree, it makes exploring the AT line more interesting. I wonder if there are design or philosophy differences between the Mofi and AT lines? Maybe AT makes them, but perhaps the Mofi carts aren't exactly indicative of the AT sound?

Ok, good to know. I liked the Ultratracker and totally agree, it makes exploring the AT line more interesting. I wonder if there are design or philosophy differences between the Mofi and AT lines? Maybe AT makes them, but perhaps the Mofi carts aren't exactly indicative of the AT sound?
Ya, it's tough to break down how much is carried over from one "Brand" to the other without actually hearing them.

I'm pretty sure Rich posted it in the Grado thread, but either way, not a bad cost for replacement.

Yeah sorry I think that’s the difference between what my dealer will offer and what Grado give direct, sorry for the confusion! Between transatlantic shipping and customs the extra 10% is not worth it on the cost of an Opus 😂

I don't know that there was ever official confirmation, but there is a lot of evidence pointing to the MoFis being manufactured by AT.

Obviously the MoFi carts are voiced to suit brand preferences, so I don't know how similar they are in reality.

Thank you very much. Very helpful response!

I'm at 2.5 years. I've been spinning much more in quarantine since I'm in my basement office near my system. I'm fairly sure I'm at or very near 1000 hours.

I'll get the blue on order.
Listening to Coltrane - Ballads on the 2m Blue now. She sounds great. I will need to try a few other albums to see all the differences.
Does it need to be “broken in”?

Listening to Coltrane - Ballads on the 2m Blue now. She sounds great. I will need to try a few other albums to see all the differences.
Does it need to be “broken in”?
I feel like break-in is more of a cartridge body process than the stylus itself. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Back