Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Not all weights are created equal.

Yesterday I got to do an A/B test of my current MoFi Super HeavyWeight and the Star Sound Technologies Platter Ground. Both make an instantly audible difference in the sound of a quality recording, but both sound quite different.

The two designs represent two completely different philosophies on how a record clamp should work. And I'm sure for people who feel a record clamp does nothing, you can remain skeptical. No sense in fretting about if you don't hear a difference, just reporting what I heard.

MoFi is aluminum, covers the full record label, and uses a polymer to help absorb noise.
The Star Sound is solid brass, and focuses on transferring energy to the ground via the spindle.

Aside from being very intrigued by the Star Sound record weight (I have never seen this style before, very interested) - I have a question. When I saw your post and looked at my record weight and compared it to the MoFi 'Super HeavyWeight'...and mine is 27.5 oz. vs the MoFi at 17.5 oz. When is heavy, too heavy? Mine is from the same manufacturer as my TT so I have to assume it is fine, but.....is it?

Aside from being very intrigued by the Star Sound record weight (I have never seen this style before, very interested) - I have a question. When I saw your post and looked at my record weight and compared it to the MoFi 'Super HeavyWeight'...and mine is 27.5 oz. vs the MoFi at 17.5 oz. When is heavy, too heavy? Mine is from the same manufacturer as my TT so I have to assume it is fine, but.....is it?

It all depends on your turntable and what weight it is able to take. Some tables will be happy with a lot more weight on them than others. If it’s by your turntable manufacturer and they say it’s suitable for the model you have you should be fine.

It all depends on your turntable and what weight it is able to take. Some tables will be happy with a lot more weight on them than others. If it’s by your turntable manufacturer and they say it’s suitable for the model you have you should be fine.
Joe nailed it in my opinion

Not all weights are created equal.

Yesterday I got to do an A/B test of my current MoFi Super HeavyWeight and the Star Sound Technologies Platter Ground. Both make an instantly audible difference in the sound of a quality recording, but both sound quite different.

The two designs represent two completely different philosophies on how a record clamp should work. And I'm sure for people who feel a record clamp does nothing, you can remain skeptical. No sense in fretting about if you don't hear a difference, just reporting what I heard.

MoFi is aluminum, covers the full record label, and uses a polymer to help absorb noise.
The Star Sound is solid brass, and focuses on transferring energy to the ground via the spindle.

Yesterday we only used one test track (St. Vincent - Savior Piano Version) as we were playing with a few different things. On the initial impressions, I have to say I was caught off guard. I was not expecting to hear any major difference at all, skeptical to say the least. What I did hear was the equivalent of a significant cable change. The Star Sound felt like there was more energy and life in the recording. Thinks just felt a little wider, and more open. The MoFi still improved the sound, and both weights allowed all the detail to come through, but the ease and life presented by the Star Sound was surprising. This was only one test case, but lucky for me, my friend/dealer doesn't have a turntable in house so I get to hang on to the Star Sound piece for more extensive testing. We'll see if these results carry through with various different albums, but I will say I was frankly shocked by the first impression.
I'd dismissed the MoFi for my table given the weight and had been considering the Oyaide STB-MSX and the BR-12 Mat for next time I've cash burning a hole in my pocket. What sort of weight was the Star Sound? Was it heavy as a brick?

I'd dismissed the MoFi for my table given the weight and had been considering the Oyaide STB-MSX and the BR-12 Mat for next time I've cash burning a hole in my pocket. What sort of weight was the Star Sound? Was it heavy as a brick?

I think if there’s one table that I’d not be as fussed about adding extra weight on top of it’s yours. With the solid build and technics DD motor I’d imagine anything short of a panzer tank would be ok. There’s actually a company that build a solid steel sub platter mat, to reduce platter ringing, that you can then put the thinner rubber technics mag on top of.

I think if there’s one table that I’d not be as fussed about adding extra weight on top of it’s yours. With the solid build and technics DD motor I’d imagine anything short of a panzer tank would be ok. There’s actually a company that build a solid steel sub platter mat, to reduce platter ringing, that you can then put the thinner rubber technics mag on top of.
It was more about clamping warped records to be honest. You need to remember... I signed up for another year so will probably need something

It was more about clamping warped records to be honest. You need to remember... I signed up for another year so will probably need something

Oh yeah I know, I’m just saying out of all the turntables in the world you absolutely don’t need to worry about weight and overloading it, you’re playing your records on a tank!

What sort of weight was the Star Sound? Was it heavy as a brick?
According to the specs the SS is actually 0.21 lbs lighter than the Mofi, but it certainly feels heavier in the hand because it is more dense in a smaller package.

Sooooo.....

Vintage Hitachi HiFi has blown a casket ...no sound on any ports...🙀

Two weeks off commences ..next week...as U.K. lockdown starts ..🙀

50th is in those two weeks ...🙀

Planned Vegas trip cancelled ...and can’t go anywhere now ....🙀😿😿

But .....

Wife has given me part of the holiday spending money to have a bonus birthday ....new deck .....😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

So old project being moved upstairs ...

New Project Carbon esprit sb and musical fidelity lx2 phono amp for downstairs ordered...and finally in white to match the speakers !! Excited I am ...and still got the VC-S2 to unwrap too !

Happy birthday to me 💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥

Sooooo.....

But .....

Wife has given me part of the holiday spending money to have a bonus birthday ....new deck .....😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

New Project Carbon esprit sb and musical fidelity lx2 phono amp for downstairs ordered...and finally in white to match the speakers !! Excited I am ...and still got the VC-S2 to unwrap too !

Wooo! You’ll like the debut carbon esprit sb. It’s a ridiculous name but it’s a really nice table at its price, it reacts well to nicer carts if you ever want to go that way and there are are actually two or three nice little upgrades that can give it a bit of a boost. I’m seven and half years with mine now and I have absolutely no regrets!

Sooooo.....

But .....

I’m really sad that you won’t be blowing large amounts of money in my neck of the woods but enjoy your new stuff!

Wooo! You’ll like the debut carbon esprit sb. It’s a ridiculous name but it’s a really nice table at its price, it reacts well to nicer carts if you ever want to go that way and there are are actually two or three nice little upgrades that can give it a bit of a boost. I’m seven and half years with mine now and I have absolutely no regrets!

I have to confess to looking at all the gear pictures on here and pinching yours ! The espirit has so much additional stuff it was a no brainier (acrylic platter, 2mred, speed changer ) ..had a nice day researching yesterday and purchased this afternoon to try and beat any covid shutdowns .

Couldn't stretch to the same phono stage mind !

I have to confess to looking at all the gear pictures on here and pinching yours ! The espirit has so much additional stuff it was a no brainier (acrylic platter, 2mred, speed changer ) ..had a nice day researching yesterday and purchased this afternoon to try and beta any covid shutdowns .

Couldn't stretch to the same phono stage mind !

Haha we will have you on a wooden cartridge before too long then too 😂

In all seriousness I love my phono stage but totally get that and around the range of the one you’ve gone for it would have been the one I chose too!

Has anyone seen the new VPI Prime 21? Looks like some quality updates to the prime series, and the package upgrades are nice too. Seems like a viable next step for people coming from something like a Mofi or Rega table. The price point sits comfortably above those options, but also feels potentially a little less cumbersome or overwhelming with the gimbal arm and the set up video.
It's also got a few nice updates from the old Prime and some nice upgrades as a package with the Prime 21+. I also personally prefer the look on this new one.

Prime21-018_1024x1024.jpg

Has anyone seen the new VPI Prime 21? Looks like some quality updates to the prime series, and the package upgrades are nice too. Seems like a viable next step for people coming from something like a Mofi or Rega table. The price point sits comfortably above those options, but also feels potentially a little less cumbersome or overwhelming with the gimbal arm and the set up video.
It's also got a few nice updates from the old Prime and some nice upgrades as a package with the Prime 21+. I also personally prefer the look on this new one.

Man, I don't mind that look. Sweet table...

-glances at price-

HOOOOOODADDY SAYS NO

-throws phone against nearest wall-

I do like the look of this one :)

I dunno from like $2-3k to $6.5k seems like a giant leap more than a next step!

Back