Which RCM would you get?

Which RMC would you get?

• Total voters

displayname

Which of these would you get, and why?

VPI is obviously the most tried and true

Pro-ject looks intelligently designed

Okki Nokki seems to have checked every design feature box, but it's in pre-order and will take awhile to get (projected fall 2020 pending COVID)

My gut is telling me one thing, but I'm curious what others have to say.

I have a VPI. I think I paid $400 and had a lot of amazon gift cards to help cover a large chunk of it. The only thing I’ll say is that they are kind of ugly and heavy. I hide mine in a closet and take it out when I need to use it. I find myself more willing to buy used records that are priced cheaper because they look dirty ever since I got it and have gotten some great deals due to that. The vacuum tube on mine did break though and had to replace it which wasn’t cheap.

I’ve got the VPI. I like it. Don’t pay retail though. I know a reputable authorized dealer that will discount.

My stock clear suction tube cracked as well. I bought the $69 Delryn replacement and have been trouble free for years. You can buy replacement felt strips from eBay.

I wouldn’t buy the ON. Their distribution seems really sketchy- they vacillate between available and not constantly.

Another vote for the VPI, I've had it for just about 3 years now without complaint. Combined with a little TTVJ and it's just about perfect. My vacuum tube did also break, replaced it with the delrin version and it's been just fine. If that's the only "problem" I come across I'm ok with it. To @MikeH's point about used records, believe me, once you see what the RCM is capable of, it will influence your crate digging habits ;)

.............I would also take up @HiFi Guy and his "Guy", I did :)

Another vote for the VPI, I've had it for just about 3 years now without complaint. Combined with a little TTVJ and it's just about perfect. My vacuum tube did also break, replaced it with the delrin version and it's been just fine. If that's the only "problem" I come across I'm ok with it. To @MikeH's point about used records, believe me, once you see what the RCM is capable of, it will influence your crate digging habits ;)

.............I would also take up @HiFi Guy and his "Guy", I did :)
Yep--that's the replacement one I got as well. The included one lasted me about 2-3 years and one day it just snapped. Went with the delrin rod as a replacement as well from MD and haven't had any issues.

Question - how does the VPI address 7" and 10" records? I don't have many of either, but I haven't really heard this discussed.

I did remember Hifi's connection, however this is a purchase that I would absolutely do through a local dealer if I go with VPI or Pro-ject. I know it will be a few more bucks, and likely add tax on top, but I want to support local dealers when I can. I think it's worth it for the ability to deal with someone face to face (mask to mask these days) and turn to if support is needed.

I honestly wish the Okki Nokki was more ho-hum. Just a 3.0 model. But it does look very interesting, and has my attention. It is one I can't get locally and very possibly would be going in semi-blind, so the pros and cons lists is tough. Too many good options I guess!

Question - how does the VPI address 7" and 10" records? I don't have many of either, but I haven't really heard this discussed.

I did remember Hifi's connection, however this is a purchase that I would absolutely do through a local dealer if I go with VPI or Pro-ject. I know it will be a few more bucks, and likely add tax on top, but I want to support local dealers when I can. I think it's worth it for the ability to deal with someone face to face (mask to mask these days) and turn to if support is needed.

I honestly wish the Okki Nokki was more ho-hum. Just a 3.0 model. But it does look very interesting, and has my attention. It is one I can't get locally and very possibly would be going in semi-blind, so the pros and cons lists is tough. Too many good options I guess!
I believe there is a 7" and 10" adaptor kit you can buy for the VPI with a different size clamp and vacuum tube, but it's a bit annoying to have to buy separate items for those. I think you can get either just the tubes to replace or the tubes + connector to the base which is more expensive but probably would be better on the tubes since they can be fragile.

Most people I know use a Spin Clean or something similar for 45s to avoid having to buy the separate tubes for 7 and 10" albums.

You need a 7” and 10” tube which are optional accessories.

The machine that looks interesting to me is the Keith Monks Prodigy. It’ll do any size disc, plus will work better on warped discs than anything you are looking at.

The machine that looks interesting to me is the Keith Monks Prodigy. It’ll do any size disc, plus will work better on warped discs than anything you are looking at.

Damn! That's a pretty nice lookin cleaner. And not quite as expensive as I thought it would be. Kinda wish I had seen this instead of the VPI. The VPI is such an eye sore and I find myself hiding it away and having to dig it out when I want to clean records.

Damn! That's a pretty nice lookin cleaner. And not quite as expensive as I thought it would be. Kinda wish I had seen this instead of the VPI. The VPI is such an eye sore and I find myself hiding it away and having to dig it out when I want to clean records.

The minute I saw it on my dealers home page I was intrigued! I think when I eventually get around to upgrading the spin clean to an RCM this where I’ll be going.

The minute I saw it on my dealers home page was intrigued! I think when I eventually get around to upgrading the spin clean to an RCM this where I’ll be going.
I kinda hate the LED lights hah but the rest of it is pretty awesome lookin. It reminds me a bit of when people put neon lights under their cars. Wonder if you have to use the cleaner reservoir? I assume you could use your own liquid manually.

Well this is a very interesting choice that I had not heard of yet. I'll have to dig in a little more. Might also have to request a new budget sign off on that one, lol. I might be willing to wait a little longer for it though. I do still have CDs kicking around, and the fact that this can do those as well certainly doesn't hurt.

I've had nothing but trouble from day one with the Okki, I would avoid.
Ok, this is the exact type of thing I needed to hear. Honestly, the fact that the ONE is the cheapest on the list but by far has the most features... I should have known better honestly.

I kinda hate the LED lights hah but the rest of it is pretty awesome lookin. It reminds me a bit of when people put neon lights under their cars. Wonder if you have to use the cleaner reservoir? I assume you could use your own liquid manually.
I don't think I'd ever actively use that light. If they had an option to get it without the light for a few bucks less, I'd take it. That bamboo body stands out from the crowd on it's own, no lights needed.

still #teamsqueaky
My Squeakyclean has treated me very well, but with merging my collection (all previously cleaned), my fiance's collection (never cleaned), and a hundred-ish more records we were gifted (also never cleaned)... it's just too much work. When just doing a couple records at a time, pulling out the shop vac and setting up the squeaky is no big deal. But when I think about doing that for 300+ records and maintenance cleaning on my collection... well it adds up. I'm also hoping that one of these ends up being quieter, but we'll see.

My partner also finds the shop vac element unappealing, and has essentially vetoed that being a fixture in the room. So we're looking for something that can live on a shelf among the records. I'm thinking I'll have a 2x2 kallex that will essentially function as a cleaning station.

My Squeakyclean has treated me very well, but with merging my collection (all previously cleaned), my fiance's collection (never cleaned), and a hundred-ish more records we were gifted (also never cleaned)... it's just too much work. When just doing a couple records at a time, pulling out the shop vac and setting up the squeaky is no big deal. But when I think about doing that for 300+ records and maintenance cleaning on my collection... well it adds up. I'm also hoping that one of these ends up being quieter, but we'll see.

My partner also finds the shop vac element unappealing, and has essentially vetoed that being a fixture in the room. So we're looking for something that can live on a shelf among the records. I'm thinking I'll have a 2x2 kallex that will essentially function as a cleaning station.

Yeah, totally reasonable. If you're planning on using it as a pre-listening ritual, or otherwise need a permanent fixture, it makes sense to get something with a higher SAF.

This video talks a lot about the VPI 16.5 vs the older Project VC-S. Easily the most detailed discussion I've seen between the those two models. Has me thinking again...

@displayname another thing to point out- the Keith Monks is quiet, where the others aren’t. The only downside is the Keith Monks takes about 2.5 minutes a side.
I definitely noticed that in the video. It looks like they only have 1 US dealer. I did see it on analogueseduction, but I'd probably have to email them to confirm I'd be getting a US plug. Between the current options, I do find myself constantly drawn to these designs with the label size platter. That just seems smart to me. Maybe unnecessary, but flat out logical.

Back