Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I finally made my decision and went with a Rega Fono. I figure when I’m ready for an upgrade to my system in a larger way, i can pick up the Aria. I think with my modded P3/Exact the Fono is solid enough. Down the road sometime I’ll pick up a P6 perhaps, new speakers, etc

why are turntables so expensive and there are specific good turntables for specific price points if you can do just as good with a turntable i got for 350

Product pricing is the function of all kinds of individual factors; Aesthetics, branding, and perceived value play into it nearly as much as materials, engineering, construction and packaging.

Don’t overthink it too much.

why are turntables so expensive and there are specific good turntables for specific price points if you can do just as good with a turntable i got for 350
I don’t think you can do “just as good”. I think the improvements you would get from jumping to the next level would not be needed until you’ve upgraded your phono cartridge amp and speakers.

Because in the grand scheme of things there is more than just sq affecting components and the whole thing costs money. The pro-ject debut D.C. has a carbon fibre tonearm that should, theoretically be more rigid and have less resonance. That improvement isn’t going to always come out in the wash depending on other factors. The esprit sb one has a super thick and heavy acrylic platter that doesn’t need a mat and a speed change. One improves plater and speed stability and the other is convenient. That table is $250 more than yours. You’ve already spent $350 on a table. Unless something unfortunate was to happen to it and you needed to replace it quickly it seems mad to spend a further $500-600 for minimal gains. It’s much more sensible to take a long term approach and look at a table in the $1000 range that will be noticeably better. That and the fact that you’ve been going on about carts/headphones/headphone amps ad nauseam since before Christmas. Don’t you want those more?

Last edited:
Hey. So I’m considering power supply upgrades (and possibly the smaller of the pro-ject vac cleaners) and was looking to glean any good advice from here.

The likes of the good value panamax thingys that seem the rage in the us don’t seem to be as prevalent over here so it’s likely gunna cost me a bit more sadly.

I was looking at

To give me enough sockets for my system (8) and to put 2 of the purifiers on each strip it’s a truly frightening €1400.

The other potential is the ps audio detect with 2 of the ifi plug in conditioners (I want these to use in concert with groundhogs to experiment with getting rid of a minor ground loop hum I’ve been getting intermittently). That would probably work out nearer €750.

Any experience of these products or, even better, more cost effective solutions would be apprieciated!

Last edited:
Hey. So I’m considering power supply upgrades (and possibly the smaller of the pro-ject vac cleaners) and was looking to glean any good advice from here.

The likes of the good value panamax thingys that seem the rage in the us don’t seem to be as prevalent over here so it’s likely gunna cost me a bit more sadly.

I was looking at

To give me enough sockets for my system (8) and to put 2 of the purifiers on each strip it’s a truly frightening €1400.

The other potential is the ps audio detect with 2 of the ifi plug in conditioners (I want these to use in concert with groundhogs to experiment with getting rid of a minor ground loop hum I’ve been getting intermittently). That would probably work out nearer €750.

Any experience of these products or, even better, more cost effective solutions would be apprieciated!

Just coat the ends of all your plugs with this!

Just coat the ends of all your plugs with this!

I don't think that’s going to solve my intermittent ground loop issue which,I think, is coming from my pre amp lol! That and I’d like a power supply with an equipment price guarantee that matches more closely the cost of my system!

Also if you think that’s expensive I’m trying to look at the cheaper end of these things. Just google hifi power conditioners and die a little inside...

I don't think that’s going to solve my intermittent ground loop issue which,I think, is coming from my pre amp lol! That and I’d like a power supply with an equipment price guarantee that matches more closely the cost of my system!

Also if you think that’s expensive I’m trying to look at the cheaper end of these things. Just google hifi power conditioners and die a little inside...

I die a little inside whenever I'm searching for new equipment.

So none of this will help unless you verify your house wiring. I had an issue a couple of years ago where a coupling had broken on the ground for my whole house. If your lights dim when you start the vacuum, you may have a ground issue.

In your mains panel make sure that outlet is grounded properly and the panel grounding is correct.

Then if you are willing to go down that rabbit hole you may want to have an isolated ground put in for a true clean ground.

I die a little inside whenever I'm searching for new equipment.

So none of this will help unless you verify your house wiring. I had an issue a couple of years ago where a coupling had broken on the ground for my whole house. If your lights dim when you start the vacuum, you may have a ground issue.

In your mains panel make sure that outlet is grounded properly and the panel grounding is correct.

Then if you are willing to go down that rabbit hole you may want to have an isolated ground put in for a true clean ground.

The Hoover is cordless lol! That said I have no issues when using high demand items or items off the higher draw bits of the circuit board. The reason I’m almost sure that it’s the preamp is that the hum disappears completely when I place my hands on it and effectively act as it’s ground.

The Hoover is cordless lol! That said I have no issues when using high demand items or items off the higher draw bits of the circuit board. The reason I’m almost sure that it’s the preamp is that the hum disappears completely when I place my hands on it and effectively act as it’s ground.

So you have a preamp that has an internal bleed? Is it already grounded through it's plug? If so and that's not solving it you need a case ground.

If it doesn't have a ground prong on it's plug then you need to manually ground it.

I'm not sure a conditioner will solve this issue.

So you have a preamp that has an internal bleed? Is it already grounded through it's plug? If so and that's not solving it you need a case ground.

If it doesn't have a ground prong on it's plug then you need to manually ground it.

I'm not sure a conditioner will solve this issue.

It does have a ground plug, our electrical system uses a 3 prong fused plug. The ifi conditioner provides a ground point for their groundhog (I’ll use an unused rca plug) which auto turns off when a ground isn’t need so as not to provide multiple grounds. That’s why I want those. The power conditioner is an upgrade on the cheap power strip that I’m using and has been something that I’ve been considering for about a year now as my next upgrade.

why are turntables so expensive
1. It's a luxury item
2. it's a precision instrument
3. It's a niche market
4. It's a luxury item

The reality of it is that turntables don't have to be expensive. Owler actually estimates that the notorious Crosley's annual revenue ($9.5M) is more than 2x the famed VPI Industries($1.2M).

And I'm sure those companies would like to pay their employees decently plus offer healthcare and/or retirement plans. Turntables are generally not over priced. Actually when you look beyond the materials, you might argue that many are under priced... and that's why so many companies tend to come and go over the years.

There is nothing wrong with an Orbit TT, it has everything you need for a nice sounding system with a few matched pieces. It's easy to get caught up in all the fervor on this thread and want something else, but don't think that having an Orbit is a stumbling block. You just need to decide what you're looking for..........not, "maybe I'll do this, maybe I'll do that, I heard this, I heard that" and so on.

My first "complete" system when I came back to the hobby 3ish years ago was a U-Turn (acrylic platter and platter mat - Grado Black), Vincent Pho-8, ELAC B6 bookshelves and a NAD receiver..................it sounded amazing!

I only moved on because I wanted an end game and had a lot of "itches" to scratch, but it by no means lessened the quality of what I had.

The Orbit's a good table.
I want to emphasize this point. I still have my U-Turn. Couldn't bring my self to get rid of it. My fiance still has her UTurn, and it get's used regularly. Once we find a new house we'll have two UTurns with different carts and an Ultradeck in the same house... and we might just keep them all.

Is it a good practice to check VTF and alignment every so often? I haven't done it since I installed my cart and while I don't have any reason to suspect things are off, it's highly possible that things may have shifted at some point in the past few months.

Is it a good practice to check VTF and alignment every so often? I haven't done it since I installed my cart and while I don't have any reason to suspect things are off, it's highly possible that things may have shifted at some point in the past few months.

It shouldn't change unless you've whacked your counterweight by accident. But, I mean, it can't hurt.

I have noticed lately that I have a very slight noise coming from my speakers if nothing is playing through them but my amplifier is on. I can hear it if I get close to the speakers and it doesn't matter what input it's on. It sounds a bit like very slight static. Any thoughts on what it could be? I have a Rotel RA-1570 hooked up to KEF R300s with Zu Libtec cables...is it a power cable thing?

Back