Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

With all the time spent at home like most at this point I have been contemplating an alternate set of speakers. My current setup is as follows
Elac Debut 2.0 f5.2
NAD C 326beee
Vincent Pho 8
TT
CD

My main motivating factor is for a pair of speakers that sound very different, this has led me to interest in Klipsch bookshelves. The RP 600M would be the high end of what I would like to spend, however I am frugal and so either the 400 or 500 are intriguing.

How would my experience likely differ between the 400 v. 600 ?

I understand that listening to anything before purchase is the way to go but this is intended to serve as a distraction from the current status of things.

Edit I also have a 10" Dayton audio sub that is not currently integrated into the 2 channel setup but can be I assume with my integrated so any "lack of bass" is not a concern theoretically.

Last edited:
With all the time spent at home like most at this point I have been contemplating an alternate set of speakers. My current setup is as follows
Elac Debut 2.0 f5.2
NAD C 326beee
Vincent Pho 8
TT
CD

My main motivating factor is for a pair of speakers that sound very different, this has led me to interest in Klipsch bookshelves. The RP 600M would be the high end of what I would like to spend, however I am frugal and so either the 400 or 500 are intriguing.

How would my experience likely differ between the 400 v. 600 ?

I understand that listening to anything before purchase is the way to go but this is intended to serve as a distraction from the current status of things.

from what I've read, the 600Ms are the ones to get.

you're gonna have fun comparing them.

from what I've read, the 600Ms are the ones to get.

you're gonna have fun comparing them.
I am a frugal bastard when spending on things I don't need so it is hard to not just get the smallest driver model on the premise of if I haven't heard the others I cant know what I am missing.

I am a frugal bastard when spending on things I don't need so it is hard to not just get the smallest driver model on the premise of if I haven't heard the others I cant know what I am missing.

I mean, you should do as your financial situation dictates, but if the 600M is within your budget, it seems silly to buy the deliberately lesser product. You can get 'em for $479/pair from Amazon, so you're not stuck paying MSRP.

I mean, you should do as your financial situation dictates, but if the 600M is within your budget, it seems silly to buy the deliberately lesser product. You can get 'em for $479/pair from Amazon, so you're not stuck paying MSRP.
Yeah and safe and sound hq has them and I’ve had great experiences with them in the past.

Regarding your previous comment about not knowing what you're missing, at least with the 600M you know you've got the nicest bookshelf Klipsch currently makes. ;)
Yeah I agree I guess I was just lookng for someone to make a comment that would convince me that although obviously the more you pay you more you get I would be happy with any of the three because they will have a sound distinctly different from the ELAC's albeit a highly subjective ask. I see you have some big boy klipsch in your setup.

Yeah I agree I guess I was just lookng for someone to make a comment that would convince me that although obviously the more you pay you more you get I would be happy with any of the three because they will have a sound distinctly different from the ELAC's albeit a highly subjective ask. I see you have some big boy klipsch in your setup.

Hi,

Not sure if you've seen the review from Zero Fidelity but he has high praise for the RP600Ms (also states Steve Guttenberg raved about them as well as Stereophile). He also recently said in a different video these were the only horn speakers (including the smaller versions of this model) he'd heard where he couldn't tell they were horn speakers (specifically saying they weren't "shouty").

Hope this helps, and good luck!

P.S. I guess I've become a bit of a fan of his but I bought my integrated amp based on his review and also my newest speakers...I'd say the way he describes and critiques stuff is right on.

Hi,

Not sure if you've seen the review from Zero Fidelity but he has high praise for the RP600Ms (also states Steve Guttenberg raved about them as well as Stereophile). He also recently said in a different video these were the only horn speakers (including the smaller versions of this model) he'd heard where he couldn't tell they were horn speakers (specifically saying they weren't "shouty").

Hope this helps, and good luck!

P.S. I guess I've become a bit of a fan of his but I bought my integrated amp based on his review and also my newest speakers...I'd say the way he describes and critiques stuff is right on.
I have watched both of the reviews you mentioned, the steve guttenberg review specifically is what got me interested in the. My thinking was that either some sort of non box speaker or a horn speaker would achieve my aforementioned "goal" for what I would like to get out of my experience with the new speakers and being that they are an additional set book shelves seemed rational as to reduce cost.

What does "shouty" mean ?

I have watched both of the reviews you mentioned, the steve guttenberg review specifically is what got me interested in the. My thinking was that either some sort of non box speaker or a horn speaker would achieve my aforementioned "goal" for what I would like to get out of my experience with the new speakers and being that they are an additional set book shelves seemed rational as to reduce cost.

What does "shouty" mean ?

Because of the way horn speakers operate, some people find them a bit too forward or harsh in the upper ranges, though this varies from person to person (and it’s severity varies by speaker make and model).

Compared to your ELACs, you’ll find they go a lot louder on less power. Klipsch’s in-house sound is often described as ‘live.’ There’s a certain pop and energy that gives them a very different character from a more relaxed and smooth presentation like that of the ELAC. It also has a tendency to be described as ‘revealing,’ as it is quite unkind to shortcomings in the recording or in the chain itself, though I would guess this becomes more of an issue once you start getting into the Heritage series.

I’m intrigued by the louder with less power scenario, especially if it means hearing “more” at a lower overall level Versus my Elac’s. Is what you described about the higher frequencies equatable to “brightness” or is coloration separate from what you were describing?

I’m intrigued by the louder with less power scenario, especially if it means hearing “more” at a lower overall level Versus my Elac’s. Is what you described about the higher frequencies equatable to “brightness” or is coloration separate from what you were describing?

Some describe it as 'horn coloration' or 'honk,' though honestly I've never heard it, so maybe I'm inured. @HiFi Guy might have better feedback on that.

I find Klipsch speakers sound very present in a way I really enjoy. You'll have to play with the positioning a little to get them to 'click,' but once they do I think you'll have a blast.

Some describe it as 'horn coloration' or 'honk,' though honestly I've never heard it, so maybe I'm inured. @HiFi Guy might have better feedback on that.

I find Klipsch speakers sound very present in a way I really enjoy. You'll have to play with the positioning a little to get them to 'click,' but once they do I think you'll have a blast.
Thank you I greatly appreciate all of your input so far.

Update: Nothing replaces listening to the floorstanders, but I really, really like these Mezes. @duke86fan, you should put 'em on your list if you haven't bought anything yet.

Congrats, you may have got the last one! Just checked the site for a friend who's thinking of upgrading his preamp, and not an LX-LPS to be found.

I'm sorry to hear that, seems to be a pretty good deal. Makes me glad that I shouted out about this when I did, cuz.....

It got here at 830 this morning :)

I'll give impressions later, but it's an obvious step up from what I had. I have a feeling the neighbors aren't gonna be pleased today!

I'm sorry to hear that, seems to be a pretty good deal. Makes me glad that I shouted out about this when I did, cuz.....

It got here at 830 this morning :)

I'll give impressions later, but it's an obvious step up from what I had. I have a feeling the neighbors aren't gonna be pleased today!
I think you will be quite pleased with it. It was not only a noticeable step up over the built-in phono stage in my Rogue Sphinx, but the iFi iPhono2 I had as well.

What are the mezes

I know they are have the 99 noir but not much else

The 99 Classics are the original retail model; the 99 Noir is a Massdrop-exclusive, less expensive version. Largely identical, I think. Most of the changes seem to involve the included cables, carrying case, and finish.

I'm really happy with them for the price I paid. They're an even better deal at $200.

Back