Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I have noticed lately that I have a very slight noise coming from my speakers if nothing is playing through them but my amplifier is on. I can hear it if I get close to the speakers and it doesn't matter what input it's on. It sounds a bit like very slight static. Any thoughts on what it could be? I have a Rotel RA-1570 hooked up to KEF R300s with Zu Libtec cables...is it a power cable thing?

Does it change with volume level?

Does it go away, or lessen, when you place your hands on it? If so you might have a missing ground in that component.
Nope--still there. It is more of a very quiet static almost instead of a hum. I'm wondering if it is a power thing since I live in a very old building and our apartment only has 2 circuits in it. Just about everything is running on one circuit and then there's another circuit just for an air conditioner. I wasn't sure if a new power cable could help. It's not super noticeable so doesn't bother me a TON, but was just wondering about it.

Nope--still there. It is more of a very quiet static almost instead of a hum. I'm wondering if it is a power thing since I live in a very old building and our apartment only has 2 circuits in it. Just about everything is running on one circuit and then there's another circuit just for an air conditioner. I wasn't sure if a new power cable could help. It's not super noticeable so doesn't bother me a TON, but was just wondering about it.

maybe try a Panamax.

At what budget are tube amps practical? Good sound in the $500 range? Or is it $1000 minimum?

If you make a list of options and keep your ear to the ground, you can get some good bang for your buck on the used market. I picked up my JoLida for $799 and like it a heck of a lot.

Fluance RT-85, Kenwood all in one surround sound reciever, Klipsch bookshelf speakers.

There are some excellent values in preowned gear. You need to be patient but be ready to pounce when something good comes up, like @kvetcha did.

Also, it’s very unlikely that the amp will have a built in phono stage, so you’ll probably want to start there. You can use it with what you have now as well as whatever you get later.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for Kenwoods. My family had one growing up and I did most of my music listening through it and an original Sony CD player.

Last edited:
There are some excellent values in preowned gear. You need to be patient but be ready to pounce when something good comes up, like @kvetcha did.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I've gotten my turntable (craigslist), phono preamp (upscale audio), and preamp (manufacturer website) all used. I've saved about $1,200 on these 3 items alone by going used. I identify what component options I'm looking for, research past used prices, then refresh my fave online used retailers until I find it. It can take some time, but that's not always a bad thing.

Back