Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

The 99 Classics are the original retail model; the 99 Noir is a Massdrop-exclusive, less expensive version. Largely identical, I think. Most of the changes seem to involve the included cables, carrying case, and finish.

I'm really happy with them for the price I paid. They're an even better deal at $200.
i'll think about them.. i was thinking since i was already going to buy an amp/dac (the Ifi ZenDac) i was going to go with the beyerdynamic DT 770s but maybe i might like the 99 sound signature better.. like the only reason i keep my M50s are they are closed back and good for analytical stuff like looking at how a song i produce (if i EVER do) will sound

Awesome! Looking forward to your impressions :)

Well I'm a bit sorry that I got the last one, cause this is real easy to recommend.

--You know when a system gets confused on the low end? Where it can't flesh out electric bass, upright bass, bass drum, and ends up summing the total into a slightly snotty blur? Yeah, this doesn't have that. I think some might believe that the LX has lost some low end, but they would be wrong. It has CORRECT low end, where each instrument is easily identifiable and easily followed. I didn't expect this, I thought the Pluto had a good grip on the lower registers. I was wrong.

--There is not a hint of graininess or "ssssssss" anywhere. Reminds me some of old school receivers from when vinyl was king and companies put a lot of effort in their phono sections. I had an old NAD 3120 with one of those great phono sections they were known for. I ran that for years, and this reminds me of that. This was the ONE THING I wanted a new preamp to get right, so I'm thrilled.

--LX has more gain than the Pluto has, it's closer to the volume from the other inputs on my amp.

--Music comes from within a much blacker background on the LX. Easily noticed as soon as I started playing it today. I didn't think that the Pluto had a problem with this, but it was a BLACK/WHITE thing. Very musical.

Quite happy, and I think it'll take a few days to burn in, so should only get better. It's a nice match for the VM540ML I use. This system is all new, as I moved the one it replaced into the basement, so I had something down there for the hot days. The LX kind of finishes the whole thing off, as I thought something was amiss. Now I'm just gonna set back and let the whole thing settle down into place. I'd easily recommend something from Musical Fidelity. This is a nice piece.

Cheers for all your help!! 🍻

Well I'm a bit sorry that I got the last one, cause this is real easy to recommend.

--You know when a system gets confused on the low end? Where it can't flesh out electric bass, upright bass, bass drum, and ends up summing the total into a slightly snotty blur? Yeah, this doesn't have that. I think some might believe that the LX has lost some low end, but they would be wrong. It has CORRECT low end, where each instrument is easily identifiable and easily followed. I didn't expect this, I thought the Pluto had a good grip on the lower registers. I was wrong.

--There is not a hint of graininess or "ssssssss" anywhere. Reminds me some of old school receivers from when vinyl was king and companies put a lot of effort in their phono sections. I had an old NAD 3120 with one of those great phono sections they were known for. I ran that for years, and this reminds me of that. This was the ONE THING I wanted a new preamp to get right, so I'm thrilled.

--LX has more gain than the Pluto has, it's closer to the volume from the other inputs on my amp.

--Music comes from within a much blacker background on the LX. Easily noticed as soon as I started playing it today. I didn't think that the Pluto had a problem with this, but it was a BLACK/WHITE thing. Very musical.

Quite happy, and I think it'll take a few days to burn in, so should only get better. It's a nice match for the VM540ML I use. This system is all new, as I moved the one it replaced into the basement, so I had something down there for the hot days. The LX kind of finishes the whole thing off, as I thought something was amiss. Now I'm just gonna set back and let the whole thing settle down into place. I'd easily recommend something from Musical Fidelity. This is a nice piece.

Cheers for all your help!! 🍻

Glad you like it!

Not a Pluto fan at all.

Glad you like it!

Not a Pluto fan at all.

Well I THOUGHT I was a Pluto fan lol.

But sometimes ya just don't know until you make a solid upgrade. Pretty eye-opening, and all for half off.

First thing I played was the second Chicago album, the Steven Wilson Remix. As soon as I heard the horns start playing I kinda understood this was just in a different league. I almost bit on a Sutherland Vibe, but didn't wanna spend quite that much. The LX will do just fine. I only hope I haven't opened a rabbit hole :LOL:

i know im getting a mangi but should it be the 3+ or the heresy.. whats best for a turntable setup

i know im getting a mangi but should it be the 3+ or the heresy.. whats best for a turntable setup

The Heresy measures better if you’re a data-head, but I’ve read some subjective reviews that prefer the 3+. It’s not an enormous difference either way, as far as I can tell. I went with the Heresy because I liked the color scheme and figured I wanted the more neutral option, since I’m already listening through a tube amp.

You may prefer the 3+ if you’ve got a pretty neutral signal chain. It could introduce some pleasant coloration.

Schiit also have a solid return policy, so you could side by side them.

The Heresy measures better if you’re a data-head, but I’ve read some subjective reviews that prefer the 3+. It’s not an enormous difference either way, as far as I can tell. I went with the Heresy because I liked the color scheme and figured I wanted the more neutral option, since I’m already listening through a tube amp.

You may prefer the 3+ if you’ve got a pretty neutral signal chain. It could introduce some pleasant coloration.

Schiit also have a solid return policy, so you could side by side them.
one person told me i should get a 3+ because it has a class A sound... but i keep hearing the heresy is better and i just wanna get the best available version for the LPs but i only have 100 not 200

After some further research into a pair of Klipsch reference premiere bookshelves I seem to only be finding positive info, are these simply a really well designed and manufactured product or am I not getting the whole scoop? What might be the negatives of these speakers, specifically in regards to the fact that they have horn tweeters? I have found people refer to horns as being bright in a broad sense but then reviews of these speakers seem to say that it is not apparent.

After some further research into a pair of Klipsch reference premiere bookshelves I seem to only be finding positive info, are these simply a really well designed and manufactured product or am I not getting the whole scoop? What might be the negatives of these speakers, specifically in regards to the fact that they have horn tweeters? I have found people refer to horns as being bright in a broad sense but then reviews of these speakers seem to say that it is not apparent.

I mean, Klipsch does horns. That's been their thing for 75 years, and they're very, very good at it. The RP-600Ms are their nicest bookshelves (aside from the late, lamented Palladium series).

You'll probably find that they are sensitive to positioning compared to your typical cone-and-dome speaker; you will have to spend a little time scooting and angling them to get an optimal sound field.

one person told me i should get a 3+ because it has a class A sound... but i keep hearing the heresy is better and i just wanna get the best available version for the LPs but i only have 100 not 200

The Heresy measures better, but measurements aren't everything. If you want a warmer, bloomier character, get the 3+. If you want a clean, uncolored presentation, get the Heresy. They've both very good amps.

I've read/watched a lot of reviews of this speaker (I had fantasies of a 2nd smaller system) and it seems anyone who does reviews reviewed them. I have exactly the same takeaways feom all those reviews as you do.

If you are considering pulling the trigger, you can always buy from a dealer with a generous return policy (30 days or more). If they aren't for you, you're only out the time, a little effort and maybe a little money in return shipping.

I've read/watched a lot of reviews of this speaker (I had fantasies of a 2nd smaller system) and it seems anyone who does reviews reviewed them. I have exactly the same takeaways feom all those reviews as you do.

If you are considering pulling the trigger, you can always buy from a dealer with a generous return policy (30 days or more). If they aren't for you, you're only out the time, a little effort and maybe a little money in return shipping.
Thanks for your personal insight and the suggestion of purchasing with potential return in mind.

Well, this should be a fun post. Without going into too much detail, I'm more than likely going to be downsizing...well....life. House, equipment, etc. I have waaaay too much stuff to fit into what may be a high-rise condo.

So, I'll be selling my Sonus Faber Olympica II speakers, which pains me. @HiFi Guy helped me pick out components to go with them and everything on the old board. They retail for 10k. I will be listing them on Audiogon for probably $5,500. If anyone on this board/thread is interested, I'd be more than willing to cut N&G family a deal. I have no idea what shipping these monsters would cost, however, Audiogon seems to indicate anywhere from $175-$275 for continental US. I'd have to double check that.

If you're interested, please do let me know and I'll post detailed pics and whatnot. Comes with all original boxes (double boxed), papers, covers, etc.

Cheers.

Well, this should be a fun post. Without going into too much detail, I'm more than likely going to be downsizing...well....life. House, equipment, etc. I have waaaay too much stuff to fit into what may be a high-rise condo.

So, I'll be selling my Sonus Faber Olympica II speakers, which pains me. @HiFi Guy helped me pick out components to go with them and everything on the old board. They retail for 10k. I will be listing them on Audiogon for probably $5,500. If anyone on this board/thread is interested, I'd be more than willing to cut N&G family a deal. I have no idea what shipping these monsters would cost, however, Audiogon seems to indicate anywhere from $175-$275 for continental US. I'd have to double check that.

If you're interested, please do let me know and I'll post detailed pics and whatnot. Comes with all original boxes (double boxed), papers, covers, etc.

Cheers.

What’s replacing them @Tyr?

Sorry to continue with my preamp questions, but is the Aria too much for the P3 with Exact? Seems funny getting a preamp that’s more than my turntable was, but maybe not I don’t know.

also for those of you with tube amps, do you power it on and off every time you play a record. I leave my solid state preamp on all the time (hope that’s not bad) and I like that convenience.

No, a brilliant phono stage will show a difference regardless. My MX-VYNL made a huge difference long before I got a better pre-amp/amp.

I stick my tubes on, give them 10 mins to heat up and then they are good to go regardless of the length of my spinning session

Silence

LOL, at this point nothing. Long story maybe best served for JQBX (I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking on the locked door JQBX policy ;))
I mean, if you have an SO maybe you work out a deal where you push a button and they sing the song of your choice?

so i might go with a project phono in the future but that makes me wonder if i made a mistake picking the uturn and not the debut carbon

Why? I think you would have to make serious upgrades to cartridge or the phono, amp and speakers to be in the territory where you would “need” to upgrade the U-turn.

I would plot my future system out, or at least the next one. Prioritize the upgrades and then knock them out in order.

Why? I think you would have to make serious upgrades to cartridge or the phono, amp and speakers to be in the territory where you would “need” to upgrade the U-turn.

I would plot my future system out, or at least the next one. Prioritize the upgrades and then knock them out in order.
why are turntables so expensive and there are specific good turntables for specific price points if you can do just as good with a turntable i got for 350

Back