Do you make stuff?

y'know, my follow-through on finishing projects is equivalent to my follow-through on posting here after repeatedly telling GNGO I would.
in honor of that, I'm gonna share a bunch of stops-and-starts.
here's some portraits I developed and never properly printed:
3F89F9CE-9EC3-4B6C-95CC-0CC63079DB09.JPG64C76E88-9C70-4AA4-91B2-B097D8AD4554.JPG5417DF7C-A806-4E52-B4E9-B7D0889642FF.JPGE09D1195-0086-4ED2-A923-8B3BF3278123.JPGA4C0E39C-640F-424A-A09B-132703F1C0D0.JPGD2B27E4C-8A23-4A73-BFFD-B0EF0E0D8520.JPG

here's some watercolors I did with the idea of a documentary pitch. they show Austin venues current and past, and projected skyscrapers that now exist and have altered the music district:
0B52902C-839F-442B-A6B4-31EB85555D15.JPG09F15703-8EBC-4E90-9327-2AA5AE241282.JPGF5527BA8-3109-4914-A614-1A34E614D976.JPG6720A02C-EF67-4F91-BD6E-2776CEC15678.JPG
here's a buncha lines and dots based on the shell studied to the right
5A089C40-BC14-4B11-A423-CBABAE0BEB57.JPG9088FB20-4E5F-4CCA-A5A2-E5707DE36E46.JPG
and lastly for now, a small sample of a collage idea
3F72FA7F-10D7-486D-921F-5818AD88F90F.JPG

SO maybe now I'll finish something. maybe.

here's some watercolors I did with the idea of a documentary pitch. they show Austin venues current and past, and projected skyscrapers that now exist and have altered the music district:
View attachment 27685View attachment 27686View attachment 27687View attachment 27688
here's a buncha lines and dots based on the shell studied to the right
View attachment 27690View attachment 27689
and lastly for now, a small sample of a collage idea
View attachment 27691

SO maybe now I'll finish something. maybe.

The wait was completely worth it. All this work is just...outstanding!

This collage is something i'm in love with and am moved by. Please finish everythinggggggggggggggggggggggg and post it here so I can see and gush. It's beautiful. <3

I made this! (It's a SoundCloud link, for some reason I can't get it to work unless I embed it in that text, I dunno). It still has some adjustments that need to be made, but it's one of my favorites recently. I hope somebody enjoys it.

I made this! (It's a SoundCloud link, for some reason I can't get it to work unless I embed it in that text, I dunno). It still has some adjustments that need to be made, but it's one of my favorites recently. I hope somebody enjoys it.
This is so beautiful. As a very poor student of the piano, I am mesmerized by someone who can play it so well.

I didn't want to double-post, but I just posted a shot of Sarge I took a few minutes ago... I really ought to be taking more than a couple pictures before I'm sharing stuff as I'm still struggling to remember the math of all this photography stuff (and my eyesight isn't what it used to be) but I'm just excited to be able to be taking pictures at all. Anyway, as my only subject so far is my dog, there a new pic (and one from my other try-out of the camera a few days ago) in the "cute animal" thread.
I can't wait to take this thing outside and find somewhere nice to really get the hang of this, but at the moment my self-critic is just on vacation and I'm just thrilled to have a thing I love so much back in my life. Baby steps. :)

I didn't want to double-post, but I just posted a shot of Sarge I took a few minutes ago... I really ought to be taking more than a couple pictures before I'm sharing stuff as I'm still struggling to remember the math of all this photography stuff (and my eyesight isn't what it used to be) but I'm just excited to be able to be taking pictures at all. Anyway, as my only subject so far is my dog, there a new pic (and one from my other try-out of the camera a few days ago) in the "cute animal" thread.
I can't wait to take this thing outside and find somewhere nice to really get the hang of this, but at the moment my self-critic is just on vacation and I'm just thrilled to have a thing I love so much back in my life. Baby steps. :)
I told my self critic to go away. I don't need her for this process. I know that my paintings are not yet where I want them to be, but there is something there. I feel like I'm a vessel of nervous energy, but I can get it all out on the canvas. Right now, I am using a limited palate of just four colors. If anyone else is thinking about getting into portrait painting, I whole-heartedly suggest limiting your palate at first. I am working with student's acrylics, but I ordered some acrylics that are recommended by pros. These are supposed to stay wetter for longer. I tried starting with oils, but because I'm in a confined space, the smell was too much. I'm playing around right now with the idea of cool and warm colors and how they intermingle on surfaces.

I told my self critic to go away. I don't need her for this process. I know that my paintings are not yet where I want them to be, but there is something there. I feel like I'm a vessel of nervous energy, but I can get it all out on the canvas. Right now, I am using a limited palate of just four colors. If anyone else is thinking about getting into portrait painting, I whole-heartedly suggest limiting your palate at first. I am working with student's acrylics, but I ordered some acrylics that are recommended by pros. These are supposed to stay wetter for longer. I tried starting with oils, but because I'm in a confined space, the smell was too much. I'm playing around right now with the idea of cool and warm colors and how they intermingle on surfaces.

I don't think I've ever successfully made mine go away before. It got me to stop making music, stop writing, stop pretty much any creative process as I never felt competent in anything and the frustration of that feeling just shut things down. I'm hoping this is a sign I can either keep that voice away for good or at least manage it better than I have in the past. I also think limiting your palate is a great idea. I'm approaching the camera from a similar point of view (I used to prefer manual mode but I'm instead choosing one or two things to fiddle around with and letting the "auto" settings take care of the rest so I don't feel overwhelmed and give up before getting any momentum.) You're off to an amazing start!

I don't think I've ever successfully made mine go away before. It got me to stop making music, stop writing, stop pretty much any creative process as I never felt competent in anything and the frustration of that feeling just shut things down. I'm hoping this is a sign I can either keep that voice away for good or at least manage it better than I have in the past. I also think limiting your palate is a great idea. I'm approaching the camera from a similar point of view (I used to prefer manual mode but I'm instead choosing one or two things to fiddle around with and letting the "auto" settings take care of the rest so I don't feel overwhelmed and give up before getting any momentum.) You're off to an amazing start!
My inner critic has made me stop doing a lot for a very long time. I also had time limitations but now that my kids can do things like bathe themselves, I have some time to paint. I guess I would be more critical if it wasn't so much fun to sit down with paints and start. I'm enjoying the process a lot more than I did when I was younger. I'm enjoying the physical act of painting whereas, I think when I was younger, I was more interested in the outcome. I'm doing these paintings fast--about an hour to an hour and a half for each--and I am going into it with the expectation that all I am producing is quick sketches. When I took the gravity of making a finished piece, it really helped me relax and enjoy everything much more.

Back