Do you make stuff?

Cool thread! I made my wife some custom bookmarks for her birthday. I got wooden bookmarks off of Etsy, then used a laser cutter to cut a design into the wood. My wife is a giant Harry Potter fan so I cut a panorama of Hogwarts into one side and a quote into the other. I made her another one for her house (she's a Ravenclaw) with the house crest and colors (washi tape). Then I stained/modge podged to seal and will add a ribbon at the top.

20190510_122001.jpg
20190510_122006.jpg

Cool thread! I made my wife some custom bookmarks for her birthday. I got wooden bookmarks off of Etsy, then used a laser cutter to cut a design into the wood. My wife is a giant Harry Potter fan so I cut a panorama of Hogwarts into one side and a quote into the other. I made her another one for her house (she's a Ravenclaw) with the house crest and colors (washi tape). Then I stained/modge podged to seal and will add a ribbon at the top.

View attachment 7066
View attachment 7067

That’s so awesome!

That’s so awesome!
Thank you! I really really liked making it. Next up, I'm going to make a custom wood cut picture for my mother in law. But I REALLY want to make myself a "Now Spinning" record holder.

I'm really excited because my library opened a "collabratory", basically a maker space with a 3d printer, laser cutting, carvey machine, sewing machines, etc. all free to use. You just need to supply the materials. The possibilities are endless! When my kids are old enough, I'm going to bring them along so they can make some stuff too.

Thank you! I really really liked making it. Next up, I'm going to make a custom wood cut picture for my mother in law. But I REALLY want to make myself a "Now Spinning" record holder.

I'm really excited because my library opened a "collabratory", basically a maker space with a 3d printer, laser cutting, carvey machine, sewing machines, etc. all free to use. You just need to supply the materials. The possibilities are endless! When my kids are old enough, I'm going to bring them along so they can make some stuff too.

Wow!!!! That’s exciting. I’m very jealous of that.

I can’t wait to see what else you make! Please keep posting!

View attachment 7066
View attachment 7067
My dad was talking about getting a cheap laser cutter over the weekend. This is a cool thing to try with it!

View attachment 7066
View attachment 7067

This is so cool! Is it free hand, the drawing itself? Or is it something you program? I'm really curious how this works. And if free hand, let me just say, WOW. GOOD JOB.

This is so cool! Is it free hand, the drawing itself? Or is it something you program? I'm really curious how this works. And if free hand, let me just say, WOW. GOOD JOB.

Definitely not freehand lol, I'm the worst at stuff like that. It's a computer generated image. I used a program called Gravit (https://designer.gravit.io/) to lay out the image on the bookmark, then I exported it into a format the laser cutting software can understand. Once you get it aligned in the laser cutter, it takes off and does it's thing. I have a cool time lapse video of it being made, but it's an MP4 which I don't think I can upload. I'll make a gif and post that. The end result is a lot like converting an image to grayscale from color, with the depth of the etch based on the darkness of the color in an image.

Just realised that I could make my own alphabet dividers for my collection with one of these!
Great idea! It's amazing the things I've thought of that I'd like to make after doing this once.

I don't really "make stuff" but I did spend the last cold winter making this, because I couldn't find an entertainment center that could store a couple hundred records that didn't look like garbage. So I designed and made this with the help of some people that actually knew what they were doing.

Back